Parelli?

smokey

Visit site
What do you think of Parelli? I don't know much about his methods, but I have seen several threads here with quite negative comments about him. As I say, don't know much about him, so have no opinion myself, just interested to see what others think.

Last edited:

Ladyinred

Visit site
What do you think of Parelli? I don't know much about his methods, but I have seen several threads here with quite negative comments about him. As I say, don't know much about him, so have no opinion myself, just interested to see what others think.

Is this for real?? Go look at the water deprivation thread and you might get an idea of just what people here think of Parelli.

Better also invest in a bullet proof vest.

Snowysadude

Visit site
As you said you have seen posts about it. If you search Parelli in the search option I am sure you will find identical posts to your own with everyone's answers and opinions on the subject :).

CathySirett

Visit site
best way to find out about parelli is to find a demo being done by some instructors and go watch for yourself -- some people like it, others don't -- some take parts of it and adapt it for themselves -- others don't like any of it

I know there are many demos in different places -- whereabouts in the country are you? then people ca share if they know of one and you can make your own mind up!

just seen you are in scotland -- if you google Elle Westyn (I think that's her name) she is based in scotland and might have more info for you!

I like to go see as many people as posisble as even if I don't like what they do, I can learn something!

Cathy

smokey

Visit site
Is this for real?? Go look at the water deprivation thread and you might get an idea of just what people here think of Parelli.

Better also invest in a bullet proof vest.

Yes, this is for real, thanks for asking! Will have a look at the thread you suggest, didn't realise it was anti Parelli, as the title doesn't give a clue. Also, can you explain why I may need a bullet proof vest? Is my question so offensive, or is it just you?

Ladyinred

Visit site
Yes, this is for real, thanks for asking! Will have a look at the thread you suggest, didn't realise it was anti Parelli, as the title doesn't give a clue. Also, can you explain why I may need a bullet proof vest? Is my question so offensive, or is it just you?

Not offensive at all. But things get fairly heated when the infamous Mr P is mentioned.

smokey

Visit site
Thank you for the answers folks, all taken on board and am now searching. Thanks Cathy, I will look into that. I have been to a Monty Roberts demo a few years ago, and found it very interesting, know nothing of Parellis methods, and in my ignorance had assumed they would be much the same. I have now found the aforementioned threads and will spend a while reading them and apparently dodging bullets! Thanks again.

Parker79

Visit site
I would not give them any of my money...or any money to anyone doing a parelli demo...I refuse to have anything to do with Parelli.

I am openminded, I like some of the Monty Roberts/Kelly Marks ways..haven't researched enough to say that I like all their methods...but it took me a very short time to realise Parelli is just cruel.

There are a few good bits...mixed into methods which humiliate/bully and worse (see water deprivation).

The reason they ask you to buy the 'official' parelli rope is the clip on the end of it, a heavy metal 2 inch clip that you use to bash your horse under its jaw .....I'm not joking. In the DVD's you will hear Linda saying 'really crack him'.

Others on here are right...there are plenty of long threads about it...one I started some months back when I first looked at using it with my new horse!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Well, the water deprivation thread is an out of context troll thread, but everyone is entitled to their opinion, open minded or not.

In your opinion Pale Rider but it does seem from that thread that water depravation IS used as a training tool which just seems to be unbelievable I just can't get my brain round how stupid and wrong that is .
OP I know little about this but then I have never needed to resort to using a slick marketing machine to get my horses to be trainable.
I saw the you tude clips of the public session with the stallion who would not be bridled and IMO if had been done my a gypsy at Appleby it would have been classed as abuse pure and simple. My view on seeing that was if they are doing that in public what on earth are they getting up to in private.
You need to make your own mind up about these things I personally would make a lot of effort to make sure not one penny of my money went into PP's coffers.

Pale Rider

Visit site
Lot of supposition and speculation there Goldenstar, but keep your money in your pocket, your choice, fortunately a free choice for all of us. Truth is you see more 'abuse' at a county show. People love having a little rant on here about it, but it means nothing.

Equestria

Visit site
Personally I don't like Paralli as to me they are too focused on marketing. I saw this quiz they were doing that tells you your personality, or 'humanality' as they put it and it cost $70! (About £35 here)
Sorry Paralli I think I can find out my own 'humanality'.
Whenever I need horsemanship advice I go on Youtube and watch Rick Gore, which is free. Some people may think he is arrogant etc. But at least he puts the horse before himself and will never abuse one or take it's water away to train. He has a website with hundreds of pages and over 400 free videos. Everything Rick does is free and I really admire that as he gets a lot of abuse from people who don't like how he says things. But if something Rick says don't make sense or work, then I would probably look up Monty Roberts or something. :)

Capriole

Visit site
It disgusts me what people will try to justify, with 'well stuff happens other places too you know'. BS is BS, stinks the same wherever its happening.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Lot of supposition and speculation there Goldenstar, but keep your money in your pocket, your choice, fortunately a free choice for all of us. Truth is you see more 'abuse' at a county show. People love having a little rant on here about it, but it means nothing.

But there's no supposition or speculation about the catwalk incident the you tube footage was unambiguous in my view.
And is seem to a fact that they do use water depravation as a training tool taking aside the whole bit about the ranch and horses in pens in the sun etc which I would aggree it's less easy to comment on on we can't know what going on there.
As for rants ( your word not mine) meaning nothing the forum does get people thinking and questioning things and that's good watching the catwalk clips was my introduction to the wonderful world of Parelli.
As for seeing more abuse at a county show I don't know because I don't hang about county shows but I don't think much water depravation goes on, and the vast majority of people there have not set themselves up as a horse training guru with an ethos that implys that your way is the "good" way and everyone else is wrong so PP should except to get shot at its good that he does.

neelie OAP

Visit site
Yes a very interesting post, but I think one person has hit the nail on the head, its all about marketing, they are all very good sales people, their main interest is making money, and what are they actually selling, common sense and we all fall for it, as we know horses are like people all different personalities, what works for one doesn't mean it will work for all, there are unfortunatley no quick fixes with horses ! ;)

smokey

Visit site
Having watched the Catwalk footage and read the threads suggested, I'm inclined to agree that it's mainly marketing and money making, with the horse low on the list of priorities. Some of the techniques used are pretty horrific, and def not in the horses best interests. I'll carry on using my common sense. And I totally agree with Goldenstars comment about Appleby.

cornbrodolly

Visit site
The Parelli system has become a 'monster', and totally different to the early work/vidoes he did in the 1990s , with some wonderful instructors , who have all since left. Now the instructors are mainly young and not very expereienced , either in teaching or the horse world in general. This seems to be a deliberate policy , to keep the instructors from straying from the set guide lines of teaching.
For inspiration if you can find anything of Phillip Nye [ Tasmania] you ll see the horseman of great sympathy and tact [ but not even sure if he appears on youtube , and his videos were withdrawn...I wonder if copyright /ligigation was the cause?].
And thats the problem , the best dont choose to go out banging their own trumpet , they get on and ride and train horses !
And lets face it any method is only as good or bad as the person using it. Lots of 'tradional' riding places are excellent , its all down to the horsemanship/experience/philosophy of the person .

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Parelli is fascinating as a study of how gullible people are blinded by charismatic leaders. History is full of such egotistical characters.

His followers when faced with evidence of his abuse tend to try and rationalise it by claiming his actions are misinterpreted. Little surprise PP is likened to a cult.

What I think is outrageous, is how the horse media supports his abusive training methods purely because of his financial clout. There are no morals in advertising.

Pale Rider

Visit site
People can make all the choices they want, I've been doing this NH stuff for 20yrs now, and brought up traditional 30yrs before that. I've made my choice and won't be changing. Lol.

neelie OAP

Visit site
People can make all the choices they want, I've been doing this NH stuff for 20yrs now, and brought up traditional 30yrs before that. I've made my choice and won't be changing. Lol.

Yes agree, people have choices, and there are various ways of doing things, common sense, body language and being able to read a horse, plays a largest part there is no magic involved, but you must admit its a great money spinner !

kateo

Visit site
Interesting that the anti's can offer coherent, logical arguments and examples against whereas the pro's can only offer blind faith in support and put downs of anyone that doesn't agree with Parelli

Amaranta

Visit site
Well, the water deprivation thread is an out of context troll thread, but everyone is entitled to their opinion, open minded or not.

You don't half come out with some rubbish PL, how can water deprivation ever be OK? Out of context!!!??? Was the OP a 'troll' because he posted something you don't like?

I do not want comparisons like 'it happens in showing' it is just as wrong in that context as it is when PP does it, however, PP is teaching others to use it as a method of training and that makes him a complete ****

I suspect you will have some sarcastic derogatory response for my post :rolleyes:

9tails

Visit site
I wonder if the pro-Parellis even realise that their responses hold as little water at PP's official response to the Catwalk incident. "You don't understand, you've not been enlightened, blah blah blah". I imagine both PP and his followers sit there piously typing while actually believing their own BS. That is cult behaviour, the pro-Parellis were spouting such nonsense when PP put a gum line on catwalk, then hobbled him and got Linda to pull as hard as she could on that rope. That is abuse, not good horsemanship.