Parents - need advice!

texas

Visit site
So my two year old daughter has been happy riding a couple of laps of the menage or 5-10minute hacks down the road and back once a week over the summer.

She is currently going through a "no" to anything at all phase. I'm not going to force her to ride (is that even possible!?), but I'm conscious that I need to get this right not to put her off.

She still enjoys feeding the ponies carrots, and helping poo picking (by hand to her dad's disgust!). Should I keep offering a ride every few weeks, on the basis that she doesn't really know what she wants either? Or would i be best leaving riding totally?

In which case, should i loan out the pony (Section A, hasn't put a foot wrong) and loan in a miniature, in case that pips her interest more, being more her size? My heart says get the miniature, but that might just be because they're amazingly cute :p

rhylis

Visit site
I'd be inclined not to make any hasty decisions about replacing the pony. if you can, just carry on as you are and go with the flow. Its a long time ago now but I remember a lot of going with the flow when my daughters were two! If she's happy pottering around the yard and being with the pony let her keep on doing that and she may just decide out of the blue that she wants to ride again. I wouldn't even worry about offering the chance to ride, although you could be cunning and tack the pony up to take him for a little walk in hand. She may see him all ready to go out and want to get back on again.
It sounds like you have a very nice pony that your daughter is happy to be around it might be a shame to change that.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
When asked, I usually recommend leaving riding 'til about the age of 6 - 8 when children are in more control of their muscles and balance and able to actually have some influence of the pony.

lindsay1993

Visit site
My daughter had her first pony at 3 and really enjoyed the riding. She hated doing anything else and point blank refused, she usually ended up playing with hens. Now she is almost 5 and still loves to ride, we got her a new pony who was a bit more willing and she helps out with grooming etc now. Some days she is just not in the mood to ride or even see the pony. I don't push her to as I want her to enjoy her pony as much as she can.

Fiona

Visit site
I wouldn't change the pony, just tack it up every now and then and suggest a wee 'explore'... My son did a lot of this between ages of 2 and 4, he preferred riding at pc where there were other kids about rather than at home on his own.

Now at 5 he loves riding and even offers to brush his pony etc.. And hacks out with hubby and I.

Fiona

Moomin1

Visit site
When asked, I usually recommend leaving riding 'til about the age of 6 - 8 when children are in more control of their muscles and balance and able to actually have some influence of the pony.

I tend to agree with this. Also, as a mother of a 2yr old, I wouldn't dream of giving her a pony at this age for the very reason that it's too young an age to tell whether they genuinely will or won't be interested.

texas

Visit site
Thank you. Sounds like I should just keep doing whatever she enjoys and borrow some other kids every now and then to keep the pony ticking over. It's good to hear other people's experiences. Pony seems fine without regular work thankfully and was mine anyway but I thought I'd put it to use.

Child's wheelbarrow on order - do they make mini poo scoopers?

Cortez, I do agree with you to a certain extent. I wouldn't call it more than sitting on pony going for a walk at the moment (rather than me carrying her!) and I'm certainly not going to do anything formal yet, just see how the interest develops. Over the summer she was really excited to get on.

Pony club is a good idea for the future too, I got into horses as an adult so this is all new to me!

Thanks everyone.

zoelouisem

Visit site
My daughter showed no interest at all in riding until she was 4 she screamed if I tried to put her on one! Despite me working with horses and having my own. All of a sudden at 4 she wanted a go.
She was rising trot within 10 mins!
I went out and bought one that weekend she rode regularly all summer. As soon as the weather turned that winter I turned the pony away until the following spring as I thought she was too little to be at the stables in the freezing. Since that spring she has been completely committed and now at 12 competes showjumping most weekends and I spend my summers living in the horsebox!!
Just don't rush it, if they are going to be a riders it will Happen!

Fiona

Visit site
We have mini shovel, brush and shavings fork. I don't know about pooper scooper though.

My son had his pony from the age of 2, and it was a decision his dad and I made. That we would do the work for a few years so he would grow up with a pony he could ride if he wanted to...

I think it's one of our better decisions tbh :)

Fiona

texas

Visit site
I think that's it Fiona. I don't mind the work and actually had the pony anyway, but the possibility is there in case my daughter wants to ride. I don't want to put her off by approaching this wrong, but I don't mind if she doesn't long term, it's still my pony :p I'm not actually sure I want her to, far too scary a sport!

rachk89

Visit site
I tend to agree with this. Also, as a mother of a 2yr old, I wouldn't dream of giving her a pony at this age for the very reason that it's too young an age to tell whether they genuinely will or won't be interested.

I do sometimes wonder why children at such a young age are bought ponies that they don't ride often unless asked and don't like to do the cleaning etc.

Seen a few kids recently who have ponies and don't want to ride or clean. Also seen kids that are used to not cleaning up ever and just leave a mess everywhere expecting someone else to do it as all they like to do is ride.

Plus as cortez says at that age it's difficult to control yourself and the pony so they maybe don't even feel safe. Think it would be better to do riding lessons now and again and do those own a pony for a day thing. It is expensive too keeping a pony that isn't used just in the off chance the child ends up loving it. Its a lot of pressure to put on a kid even when we think it isnt.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I didn't get my son a pony on loan til he was 4 and asking to ride. He's always been around them since birth but I wanted to be certain it was his choice to be involved not mine.

He comes riding out with me every weekend, goes to PC rallies, done camp and will poo pick a field without being asked. He's really sensible and loves being with our ponies.

I wouldn't be in a rush to get rid of your pony yet, give it a couple of years first. If your daughter is happy to be around them then it will probably lead to her wanting to ride anyway.

flying solo

Visit site
I bought my eldest a pony when she was four, she'd shared a few ponies and was really keen in the summer months and in winter I turned pony away. My youngest daughter got a loan of a oap midi Shetland who was a saint in every way when she was 2, she rode in the summer and on cold crisp mornings, as long as it wasn't wet or blowing a hoolie she would be out there riding, mucking out doing water buckets sitting in the wheel barrow when it's full of hay etc

We always make the chores fun and go on treasure hunts or picnics with the ponies as much as we can. Last week at the age of 3 she did a 5 mile fun ride with her sister on her new Shetland and had a go at Tilting! You can't force kids but equally the weather has took a bit of a turn and it's a lot colder, kids don't cope well in the winter I find. My eldest is 9 and only just started riding in winter last year, sounds like you have the perfect pony Who doesn't mind the occasional ride and is sensible, a sort very hard to find.