Parrot mouth - Do I don't I?

evenag114

Visit site
Been looking around at some yearlings and I have found one I really like the only problem is she has a slight parrot mouth. Now, the vet has passed her and said that he doesn't think it will be a problem, but what are your opinions? She is very well made in all other respects. I had hoped to breed from her in future......

thanks all

evenag114

Happytohack

Visit site
Just had the dentist to my lot today and she was talking about parrot mouths in TBs! She was saying that a lot can be done to improve a parrot mouth if it is caught early enough. I would guess that this filly wouldn't be suitable for breeding though.

Nudibranch

Visit site
I knew a mare who had quite a nasty parrot mouth, she was fine as a companion and managed ok dentally. But please, please don't breed from this horse if you do buy her.

kanter

Visit site
For a riding horse I wouldn't worry about it, just get her teeth done regularly by a good dentist. Not sure about the implications for breeding - is there any evidence at all that is hereditary?

Fleur100

www.welhamstud.co.uk
My old TB has a parrot mouth and has had no problems. However I wouldn't breed from a mare with a parrot mouth. It is a conformation fault that can be passed on. A stallion wouldn't get a licence with a parrot mouth

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
I have had 2 horses with parrot mouths and they were fine, my TB gelding's was terrible but he managed to eat grass and always looked very well.
We had the EDT out every 6 months to him, but it didn't affect him at all.
It wouldn't put me off buying a horse that I liked in every other way.

pagancluf

Visit site
Ditto Seahorse - I have had two that were parrot mouthed and performed as well as I wanted them too. Can understand that you would not want to breed with them, but both of mine were out of Northern Dancers line so not bad breeding?

carolmalin123

www.irishdraughthorsesociety.com
Ive got a 24yr old TB with a really severe parrot mouth, the vet said it was the worst one he had ever seen. Ive had him for 11 years and no-one can believe how well he looks, he is turned out 24 hours, does not get feeds and only occasionally gets haylage. I check him every day to make sure he isnt losing weight and he looks fab, nice round tum, not ribby and still plenty of muscle, not underweight at all. He has never cost me any more to look after than my ID mare (who has a normal mouth) and is stabled at night. The only time he struggles is if the grass is really really short, but he forages better than most and finds what others dont bother to look for! I would take your vets advice though.

bellaboo

Visit site
My mare has a parrot mouth and i struggle to get her to lose weight!! Hers is quite bad you can fit a finger in the gap between her front and bottom teeth. She copes fine with everything i ask of her, but do make sure you get her teeth done regularly and i had been advised against ever breeding from my mare as it could possibly be passed on. (she is the blue and white in my sig)

OliveOyl

Visit site
I've got one with a parrot mouth too. As long as you keep on top of it all with a good dentist keeping hooks in check then there shouldn't be a problem at all. As others have said, they cope amazingly well with grazing and keep their weight just as easily as any other horse.
Vet that vetted mine said "You could breed from plenty worse than this" so yes, it is general consensus that you don't breed from a parrot mouth, equally so, you shouldn't breed from anything with bad conformation of any kind, not just in the mouth but people still do . . .