Part loan contribution - 3 days pw

Pinkvboots

Visit site
You have to give a bit more information really.

What kind of horse is the horse a plod around the woods or potentially a competitive type ?

Do you have to do jobs or full livery?

What are the facilities at the yard?

Willow123!

Visit site
Assisted DIY but part loaner would be expected to pay for any turn out / bring in / full livery used on their days on top of fee

Nice pony - would suit small adult rather than kid. Could do some local showing on it. Yes all jobs to be done. Has a full size dressage outdoor and American barn stables.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
It's so variable, you'll probably get quite a few different answers. I can give a few from my experience of part-loan/share:

- £100/month to ride once per week hacking as long as I liked, no jobs (full livery, yard with school and excellent hacking)
- £80/month to ride twice per week with mucking out, hay, and turn out/in depending on which end of the day (assisted DIY, yard with good hacking and a school)
- £150/month to ride twice per week with cleaning tack (full livery, yard with okay hacking and a school)

I did also look at another which was £250/month to ride up to three times per week with no jobs. At the pricier end for me but yard with good facilities and hacking plus much more opportunity for training/lessons/competing.

Surbie

Visit site
Assisted DIY but part loaner would be expected to pay for any turn out / bring in / full livery used on their days on top of fee

Nice pony - would suit small adult rather than kid. Could do some local showing on it. Yes all jobs to be done. Has a full size dressage outdoor and American barn stables.
If I was looking at sharing I wouldn't be looking at faffing about with extra charges here and there, particularly if I was paying AND doing jobs. Equally I wouldn't come twice in a day - it's a share, not a loan.

DIY where I am is anywhere between 220/month and 350/month. Shares for 2-3 days/week with jobs (but only coming once a day) are about £100-150/month.

IrishMilo

Visit site
How much is a DIY yard with an outdoor and good hacking charging a week roughly?
Anything from £30 - £75 per week depending on where in the country you are and what facilities you have.

My sharer paid me £120 a month. My livery was £475 a month (not including bedding or feed).

I charged a flat rate and if she couldn't be there to bring the horse in then I paid the charge.

Willow123!

Visit site
Thanks all! I am the potential part loaner. The proposed fee is £150 per month and it just shocked me a little given that includes full jobs plus any assisted DIY. Previously I've paid a flat rate of £10/day or £130/month with no extra charges. I've calculated it and 1 x turn out or bring in per day for the 3 days takes the total cost up to around £175 per month (plus any full livery for days I can't do).

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Our yard is on the expensive side for DIY and we have quite a lot of sharers (I'm on my 2nd horse on the same yard, it's a nice yard, nice people small, 2 arenas and convenient for me).
I have always expected to do both ends of the day if sharing on DIY/would expect to pay more if not as I see it that the horse is mine on those days, and it doesn't seem much when you've had your own and had to do both ends of the day 7 days a week. If I couldn't I'd expect to be swapping chores with other liveries (but only doable once you know them)
£120 for 2 days seems to be the going rate there. Friends have paid double that + if no chores involved.
I do more for less but that's because I'm a particularly useful sort of sharer 😂.

At the end of the day you have to pick what suits you as an agreement, if it doesn't you're only likely to resent it a bit and not enjoy it as much.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Thanks all! I am the potential part loaner. The proposed fee is £150 per month and it just shocked me a little given that includes full jobs plus any assisted DIY. Previously I've paid a flat rate of £10/day or £130/month with no extra charges. I've calculated it and 1 x turn out or bring in per day for the 3 days takes the total cost up to around £175 per month (plus any full livery for days I can't do).
That doesn't sound too bad to me.

maya2008

Visit site
If an average month has 4 1/3 weeks, that’s 13 rides a month. £10 x 13 would be £130. Now people were paying £10 per day ten years ago - cost of living inflation last year alone was 10%. £130 in 2014 when I last had sharers, would be a whopping £170 today.

So £150 seems pretty decent given the cost of feed and bedding is spiralling ever upwards!

Kirstd33

Visit site
My teenage daughter rides our Yard owners pony, just 1 day at a weekend generally in term time, 2-3 times a week when she's off school and we pay £15/week and do his jobs eg muck stable out, nets, water, feed, turn out/bring in on "her day"

Suits owner and us, gives her a break, helps keep him fit and has given my daughter much more hands on experience than a riding school could.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
If I was looking at sharing I wouldn't be looking at faffing about with extra charges here and there, particularly if I was paying AND doing jobs. Equally I wouldn't come twice in a day - it's a share, not a loan.

DIY where I am is anywhere between 220/month and 350/month. Shares for 2-3 days/week with jobs (but only coming once a day) are about £100-150/month.
I agree why don't you just include the cost for turnout on the sharers days and also you know then it will be dome.

dapple_grey

Visit site
I pay £25 pw for my share for 3x days. Horse is on 5 day part livery so no stable jobs during the week, just one weekend day. I get to take her competing/hunting regularly so I feel it's a very good deal :)

Backtoblack

Visit site
Three sevenths of the total cost of keeping the horse. Livery,feed,shoes,vet bills,etc and a bit extra for wear and tear of tack. I'd also clean tack once a week and wash numnahs. I ballpark figure would be £300 a month.

I'm Dun

Visit site
Three sevenths of the total cost of keeping the horse. Livery,feed,shoes,vet bills,etc and a bit extra for wear and tear of tack. I'd also clean tack once a week and wash numnahs. I ballpark figure would be £300 a month.

Why on earth would you be expecting someone to pay for wear and tear of your tack for your horse?! This whole sharing thing is mind boggling to me.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I've never met anyone actually doing it as a % days 🤷‍♀️.
I know someone who was doing roughly that. Owner rode 2 days and had 2 sharers with 2 days each. The amount charged was a third of the 7 day livery. Of course there are lots of other bills and expenses incurred in keeping a horse so not a third of total expense.

It was an expensive share but the horse was lovely and the sort that would be ok for a more nervous or inexperienced rider but rose to the occasion for a better rider. No chores and a lovely yard with brilliant facilities and access to amazing hacking.

MuddyMonster

Visit site

As an owner, I wouldn't be charging a sharer for vet's bills, either wholly or a percentage of. If they wanted to pay a vet bill, they'd probably own their own! They are just a cost of owning a horse and I don't think it should be passed onto a sharer.

malwhit

Visit site
With sharing, I do think all vet costs, worming, insuring, etc should be paid by the owner. The sharers are just "renting" the horse for a day/s & should pay a flat fee which should take into account these bills.

If they go away on holiday or they are ill, I think all the sharer need to do is tell the owner, giving them advance warning if possible. The welfare of the horse is the responsibility of the owner. They would still pay their fee if they want to stay as a sharer.

I wonder if the owner of the horse would share out the profit made if they sold the horse? Especially if the sharer is a good rider and improved it's value😊

oldie48

Visit site
I paid considerably more than mentioned so far but the owner did everything, including tack cleaning, clipping etc. I paid what I felt was the value of having a really nicely schooled horse with help from the owner (well qualified trainer with loads of experience who knew the horse inside out) when I asked. I paid £80 for a lesson on a school horse and it wasn't a patch on the horse I shared. I had the use of a nice school, could be flexible about when I rode, the tack was good quality and fitted me and him. His owner would have accepted much less than I decided I wanted to pay but I felt I had a good deal which I could afford and compared with paying for lessons on half decent horses, it was an absolute steal. I mention this as no-one has mentioned the quality, experience and level of training of the horse, which I think is very relevant.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Some sharers can be pretty unreliable, so charging for services on missed days ensures someone is actually reliable and turns up.

I think £150 sounds pretty reasonable for 12+ days riding a month- it's not much more than £10 a day- that was about the going rate when I was at uni, especially for a more novice sharer. That's 10+ years ago now, and costs of horse keeping have gone up massively in that time. Particularly for a more novice person who may need some help and supervision to start with.

Generally if the owner is looking for someone to improve their horse, they won't charge a fee and hope to get a better rider that way. When I was younger, there was a difference between me doing a favour exercising a kids' pony in term time, paying for a share, or having a loan in terms of responsibility. In terms of tack, I didn't pay towards wear and tear, but I did replace (with new) anything that ever broke. For loans, obviously I bought a lot of stuff sometimes (with owner's permission) but I kept that at the end of the loan!

Ultimately, though, it's up to the owner. People on here can say it's too much, but if it's a nice horse with what sounds like decent facilities, I think they will get a taker at that sort of price.

ihatework

Visit site

Seems fair provided horse is sound and well behaved.