part loan - prices and expectations

princestar

Visit site
I am looking to part loan my horse between one and five days a week... I have never done it before so I don't know what price to ask.

My horse is 15hh, 6 year old, he hacks alone and in company, walks trots and canter in the school. He is newly backed, so still learning and needs time and patience to bring his full potential out.

He is hard to catch, this comes with time and patience and a few pony nuts haha.

I am thinking about how much to ask per week, what they do and don't do during their days.

He is on diy livery, which is 150 a month. I need someone to do a couple of days, treat him as their own and on their days do everything I usually do.

I am thinking, muck out, do hay, made feed, fill water. Ride/lunge/hack etc.

My yard has a sand school, which is free to use, an ec next door for shows and indoor school in winter. Brilliant hacking off road and plenty of people to ride with. He will not be moved to another yard, at all, not even being considered.

I don't know how to set this up, I don't want to find an Ideal person who is thdn not wanting to pay the pricd I ask, and walk away but I don't want to loan him out and then not get any thing back to help me with the costs.

Advice please :)

Polos Mum

Visit site
As a youngster who needs work and tricky to catch and youwant them to do chores you probably won't get any cash.

I'd be vetting people very carefully to share a youngster

I've only part loaned lovely schoolmasters, not asked them to do chores (well top up an empty water bucket and the odd skip out aside) and I asked for £20 a week for 3 days riding and I took them out competing often

princestar

Visit site
Hi Polos Mum

Yard chores are completely optional, dont want to, dont do it, sort of thing as im still happy to do the chores around the yard.

Im not expecting £20 a week+, simply someone to buy a fee bales hay/bedding a month but someone to care for him as their own.

Especially when he is young, impressionable and inexperienced I am looking for someone experienced and calm - I'm thinking about the contract, what would I need to include?

Such hard work finding someone haha
Thamk u for your reply X

tankgirl1

Visit site
For a contract I'd start with the bhs full loan one and amend it for the relevant days
Good luck, good sharers are worth their weight in gold

Yes we use the BHS one with Boyo and his owner. FWIW we pay £80 pcm and have a pretty good deal with unlimited riding, no other costs (apart from gold BHS membership as asked for by owner for the insurance), do yard chores when we go up. Boyo is 11yo though, and easy to do

SallyBatty

Visit site
Part loans in Kent are around £25 a week for 3 days or £10 per day if less than 3 days. If the horse is on DIY the part loaner usually does all chores on their days.

However, it sounds to me like you are looking for someone who can help bring your horse on with his training as he has only recently been backed rather than one that is ready to go out hacking and jumping. Therefore you may find it difficult to find someone as a lot of part loaners are using the experience as a stepping stone to getting their own horse and may not have the experience you are looking for.

Ella19

Visit site
Surrey part loans can be up to 200 a month for 3 days riding a week BUT our livery is more than double yours! DIY livery is 325!

In your situation with a youngster that is difficult to catch I would say £100 a month for 5 days and £80 for 3. You can always drop the price!

Start by looking in tackshops at other adverts before placing your own. Try facebook local sites. Farm shops, feed merchants etc.

skint1

Visit site
A part loan can work very well, but be very careful that the person you choose rides in a similar way and has similar ideas about horse care and management to you, especially with a youngster, you don't want anyone blowing your horse up (mentally or physically) and then leaving you to sort the damage

Theocat

Visit site
If the horse is newly backed you're going to want a decent rider, who's unlikely to want to pay to bring your horse on - there are plenty of horses you can share for free if you're capable of improving them.

I think you need to decide first of all why you want to share - do you need financial help? (Difficult when the focus needs to be on finding the right rider for a horse at this stage.) Do you just need cover to give you a couple of days off a week? Is there something specific you don't enjoy (hacking, schooling, etc) that you know the horse needs and you'd like someone else to help with it?

In your shoes I'd ask that they do the duties on their days, and ask for a contribution towards shoes - perhaps £10 per week if they're riding two or three times - but I wouldn't ask for any more than that when you're looking for someone who'll be helping to improve, rather than just exercise, the horse.