Part two of 'dangerous dogs'

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I don't get why that bloke couldn't take his own dog to the vets to PTS, and if current woman got a 5 year ban in 2011 why they can't remove?

Montyforever

Visit site
Didn't see last weeks but oh my god how can that woman live like that!? Obviously never learns either! Shouldn't be allowed within a mile of any animal!!!

ladyt25

Visit site
Hmm, you see these programmes and just think they really need to bring back the need to have a licence to own a dog. Plus, if the RSPCA give someone a ban for keeping animals, than ban should be for life or with at least a minimum of 10 years! No point having a ban when someone can just start their hoard all over again.

It's horrible to see these 'dangerous dogs' as well that are just so blatantly terrified :( That poor staffie look petrified. The dog warden wondred whey there were so many dog attacks. Well, one word in my mind is key - exercise! The majority of these animals are kept in pokey gardenless houses (not a problem in itself). They are not let out and just do their business in the house. Is it any wonder they turn. A human would go beserk kept like that so it's no wonder a dog does!

ladyt25

Visit site
When are they going to rethink this whole system of taking measurements to determine a 'pitbull'? It is so ridiculous. These dogs are most likely staffie crosses. Could be blooming anything!

ladyt25

Visit site
I don't see how the powers that be can seize an animal that has not done anything purely because of 'type'. It is ridiculous. Yes, a dog that is being neglected/mistreated or a dog that has attacked someone, but taking dogs for no reason infuriates me!

GeeGeeboy

Visit site
It's the idiot owner's fault AGAIN!! If he wants a Pitbull, he has to follow the guidelines. Moaning about castration- utterly ridiculous!

Moomin1

Visit site
I don't see how the powers that be can seize an animal that has not done anything purely because of 'type'. It is ridiculous. Yes, a dog that is being neglected/mistreated or a dog that has attacked someone, but taking dogs for no reason infuriates me!

Because there are four banned breed types in this country.

ladyt25

Visit site
It's the idiot owner's fault AGAIN!! If he wants a Pitbull, he has to follow the guidelines. Moaning about castration- utterly ridiculous!

True, I get that bit although he's not the only man who doesn't want his dog castrated. Their dogs aren't just taken away though and 'assessed' to see if they're dangerous. I am sure there are plenty of more dangerous, entire dogs out there that aren't on the 'banned breeds' list. Why confiscate? Why not save the money and monitor them in the home? Maybe we had missed that bit, maybe he has already had a warning and hadn't done what was asked...

Seeing that happy, healthy dog PTs was heartbreaking and, knowing that happens everday makes it worse

Moomin1

Visit site
True, I get that bit although he's not the only man who doesn't want his dog castrated. Their dogs aren't just taken away though and 'assessed' to see if they're dangerous. I am sure there are plenty of more dangerous, entire dogs out there that aren't on the 'banned breeds' list. Why confiscate? Why not save the money and monitor them in the home? Maybe we had missed that bit, maybe he has already had a warning and hadn't done what was asked...

Seeing that happy, healthy dog PTs was heartbreaking and, knowing that happens everday makes it worse

How much money would it cost to have the resources to monitor all these banned breeds in the home?

If it's law that they are banned in this country, then by turning around and just allowing people to have them, but 'monitor' them in the home, then there's not really any point in the law in the first place is there?

ladyt25

Visit site
Watching that programme, hey have spent weeks re-visiting that woman and her dogs, puppies etc so it wouldn't be any different surely and in fact would/should be quicker. Simply "get it neuteured, get it insured, if that's not done within 'x' amount of time we will seize the dog and then it will cost you '£x' to have it returned. Otherwise it will be PTS"

Don't think that would be using anymore resource than they use now or what it cost to keep that dog in kennels for 5 weeks and the cost of having it castrated and assessed.

The point about the 'banned breed' is them seemingly not having a definitive way of determining whether a particular dog is a 'banned breed'!

Copperpot

Visit site
The law is ridiculous. Deeming a dog dangerous on measurements and appearance. The poor dogs pay for it and they haven't put a paw wrong. Most of the dogs deemed as type are clearly not pit bulls. If you actually see a properly bred pitbull it looks nothing like a lot of the dogs seized.

Moomin1

Visit site
The law is ridiculous. Deeming a dog dangerous on measurements and appearance. The poor dogs pay for it and they haven't put a paw wrong. Most of the dogs deemed as type are clearly not pit bulls. If you actually see a properly bred pitbull it looks nothing like a lot of the dogs seized.

They are banned because of the characteristics in their physiology and genetic makeup which make them dangerous IF they were to attack. It's not because they are deemed an aggressive natured breed as such.

Copperpot

Visit site
They are banned because of the characteristics in their physiology and genetic makeup which make them dangerous IF they were to attack. It's not because they are deemed an aggressive natured breed as such.

All dogs have the potential to be dangerous not only ones you can measure to be a certain type.

I simply do not agree with labelling a dog based purely on looks.

lexiedhb

Visit site
Which is total nonsense!!

Its like tarring all of a nation/race/colour/sex/ with the same brush utter garbage

Dry Rot

Visit site
It's really quite simple. The problem is not the indiscriminate breeding of dogs but the indiscriminate breeding of their owners who have no use in society except as stars on the Jeremy Kyle show. Who is for castration and PTS? :D

allyp

Visit site
Absolutely. And is why so many people and organisations (NDWA, RSPCA, Dogs Trust etc) are against BSL. It isn't fair and doesn't work.

However it is the law so if a dog comes to the police's attention that may be of type they must investigate it. They seize and remove to kennels and measure up according to this breed standard: http://www.adbadog.com/p_pdetails.asp?fpid=32

Temperament is not part of that assessment, it is purely measurements. It is nonsense. I agree that a pit is a large powerful dog but could say the same about 100s of different breeds. They are v intelligent and require lot of exercise but again so do many breeds (think of as large working lab, they can be quite similar). Pits are used in other countries as assistance dogs, PAT dogs, search and rescue and so on.

But that's the law and until it changes it has to be enforced as such, there is no wriggle room

Dizzydancer

Visit site
allyp interesting you say that about large lab.
my working lab doesn't look like a typical lab but did look a little like that stray pts last night- poor dog.
interestingly just looked at the defra guidelines and he would score in most sections- heres hoping he never goes missing!

Last edited:

Alexart

Visit site
Dry Rot definitely agree!!!:D I think english law is also to blame partly - these dog wardens/RSPCA etc have no legal powers at all so cannot remove animals even if they are being kept like the fat moron family with the hoard of pets who she couldn't care less about, I don't think I'd have the patience to deal with idiots like that, I'd certainly get through blue juice pretty quick though, and not for the animals!!:p I think a license for any pet should be brought in, they should be made expensive and have to be re-applied for every year and a test of some sort to make sure they are competent to own the animal too, and for breeding it should be made so expensive that no-one would even consider doing it for money - I think pink flying elephants would be as likely!!:rolleyes:

ihatework

Visit site
It's really quite simple. The problem is not the indiscriminate breeding of dogs but the indiscriminate breeding of their owners who have no use in society except as stars on the Jeremy Kyle show. Who is for castration and PTS? :D

Snigger. too true ...

Dry Rot

Visit site
It is very tempting to shout for new rules and regulations to deal with these situations but have you met the people who have to apply them? (Excluding any here, of course).

We have a mad woman living "near here". She left a dog on a chain and disappeared down south for three months with a local lad popping in once a day to feed and poo scoop.

My call to the SSPCA got me the reply that this was "perfectly alright". As the word went around, they got more complaints and changed their minds. The woman was issued with an order to get her act together.She did nothing. The order expired. The SSPCA did nothing. The matter was finally resolved when a concerned member of the public stole the dog and found it a new home (not me!).

The woman also had several small ponies on her land, attended to by the same person who called in once a day. The "field" was infested with ragwort. The SSPCA inspected the site in late winter when the ragwort had all died off. They declared that there was no ragwort!

Rules and regulations are not enough. I had a young lad working here for a few days (after which he was speeded on his way). His ambition was to become an SSPCA inspector. When I asked him why, he said the pay was good, he'd retire early on a good pension, and he'd get a van to drive around in. No mention of animals. As ever, I remain a cynic. I, on the other hand, is a "bad person" for reporting ragwort where "there was none" and for "arranging" to have the dog stolen….

ThoroughbredStar

Visit site
A heartbreaking second episode- very difficult to watch.

On the topic they were portraying last night re monitoring the banned breeds, I felt they should have been targeting the people breeding this banned "type" of dog more so than the people buying them. If you cant breed them you cant sell them- unless I am missing part of the law?? The law says (as afr as I am aware from last night) they can be owned in this country under a number of conditions, and one is it can't ever be re-homed. This must be after it has been sold as a pup, which would actually be its second owner?

As for that "female" Vanessa with all those staffs she was breeding to sell- i'm sorry but they should have been whipped away from her. Absolutely disgusting.

thewonderhorse

Visit site
Dry Rot definitely agree!!!:D I think english law is also to blame partly - these dog wardens/RSPCA etc have no legal powers at all so cannot remove animals even if they are being kept like the fat moron family with the hoard of pets who she couldn't care less about, I don't think I'd have the patience to deal with idiots like that, I'd certainly get through blue juice pretty quick though, and not for the animals!!:p I think a license for any pet should be brought in, they should be made expensive and have to be re-applied for every year and a test of some sort to make sure they are competent to own the animal too, and for breeding it should be made so expensive that no-one would even consider doing it for money - I think pink flying elephants would be as likely!!:rolleyes:

This ^^ Totally agree!!