Pass me a gun please....I want to shoot my hoss!

Patches

Visit site

Ok, that's a bit over emotional but I am so lucky to have not been killed.

Patches just reared up, knocked me over and landed on my ankle (luckily just a glancing blow).

Been to Somerford today with Pidge, her sister, L15A, Will and Jenny. Had a fabulous time.

Lisa's new horse Ruby was a star and Pidge and Sunny were on flying form. Will, a 15 year old lad, owns the most awesome pony in the world. What a jump on him! Love him.

Lovely time was had by all. I even jumped some fences.

As I'm leading her out to the field she suddenly puts her head down in the gateway. I didn't notice at the time but S had left a feed tub of food outside the gate for her horse. I tugged to lift her head up and somehow the gate fastener latched shut in Patches lead rope ring. Lord knows how it happened as you couldn't do it if you tried.

Before I could stop her walking on, she tried and panicked. Reared up to try and break free and knocked me to ground, stepping on my ankle. Gate post was looking decidedly dodgy and I don't think it'd survived a second rear. I jumped up and freed her and she was fine.

I'm aching now though. Oh well. No real harm done.
smirk.gif

Patches

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Very lucky, sounds like a very scary moment for both of you.

I know it's early but I think you need an alcoholic drink to get over it
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If only I drink! Never touch the stuff.

It was one of those things that you know might not end well, but you have to approach the horse to free them from what is making them panic.

It's a snap thing on a chain that fastens on to a hook on the wooden gate. Easy as it's so simple to shut if the horse is in a hurry to get in from the field. Problem is I've now realised it can easily snap shut on other things.

She wasn't naughty really, just a freak accident.

Got to milk record in a bit too. No sitting down for me!
grin.gif

mattilda

Visit site
Those latches are dangerous!! My mare got a leg strap on her turnout rug caught in one and panicked. Managed to free her finally and only the rug died fortunately. Am now very careful aroung this nasty gate!! Glad you are both OK.

Patches

Visit site
I've never had an incident with it before in the four years it's been on the gate.

I think it was because her head was down lower than it as she had it in the feed tub that had been left right by the gatepost. If I'd noticed the feed tub, I'd have kept her out of it anyway.

I guess as she was underneath it when I tugged rope it just allowed rope to go up into the fastening. It took me a split second to realise why she couldn't move...thought she was being stubborn.
blush.gif

Patches

Visit site
Oooooo.....my bottom is on display!
blush.gif

What the hell was my bum doing up in the air like that anyway? I knew I should've kept all four feet on the ground.

Love those breeches though. Very comfy.
grin.gif

Chumsmum

Visit site
Hope you not feeling too sore now and Patches is getting over scaring mom to death.

Great pic - I hope to get to Somerford when pony is fit and well again, it looks fab.

I'm having that drink on your behalf
grin.gif