Passport and loaning a horse

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Passport must go with horse.

I have my horse on loan (essentially permanent loan) and have his passport, same with my last loan horse. When I put my own horse out on loan, the passport went with him though I did write to the WPCS (who issued the passport) to let them know he was out on loan and being kept by XYZ.

corrie153

Visit site
Im not sure about what is legal but when I put one of mine on loan i kept the passport. I did this as it seems to be very easy for ownership to be changed i.e in my sport horse one you fill in the new owners name and address and send it off to them. Also it allowed me to make sure that he got his vaccinations lol

Boxers

Visit site
The passport must legally go with the horse.

Also, it should be kept wherever the horse is kept - so if you keep your horse on livery then the passport should be kept at the livery yard.

If you travel your horse about then your should have the passport with you too.

I tend to keep my horse's passport in the glovebox of my car, although I know a couple of liveries have given their to the YO to keep in her safe.

Cuffey

Visit site
Owner should keep a photocopy of the passport
Owner should associate themselves with the horse on Nedonline adding that horse is on loan and not to be sold
Best if horse is both freezemarked and microchipped
Take pictures of loanee with horse
Ask for sight of household bills--you know where the horse is going but do you know where loanee lives.
A BHS type contract adapted to suit, signed by both parties and each retains a copy.

Queenbee

Visit site
Legally passport stays with the horse, but I laugh in the face of the law.... ha ha ha ha.

I keep the passport and provide the loaner with a photocopy... would rather be questioned over it than give someone an easier time stealing my horse.

millitiger

Visit site
Passport should always go with the horse.

My horse is out on loan and the girl is doing BE so would be pretty impossible not to give her the passport anyway.

KrujaaLass

Visit site
Had to do a Statutory Declaration for Welsh Cob & Pony society. Typed it myself and solicitor charged me £5, I think this was because last owner who was not who I bought pony off had not signed it.

fingers_crossed

Visit site
Just thought my post sounds ;ike i'm trying to do the dirty! My coloured is out on loan, and minty is also 'looking' for a less competetive mum. I have no worries about the first, but the second can't Jump due to soundness and i'd hate for him to get sold/lost and up in pain. Surely the PI agency should cofirm with the old owner, thus making them traceable?

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Owner should keep a photocopy of the passport
Owner should associate themselves with the horse on Nedonline adding that horse is on loan and not to be sold
Best if horse is both freezemarked and microchipped
Take pictures of loanee with horse
Ask for sight of household bills--you know where the horse is going but do you know where loanee lives.
A BHS type contract adapted to suit, signed by both parties and each retains a copy.

All good advice. I actually took a photocopy of a household bill and of driving licence. I had a signed and witnessed contract, visited the yard and their home. Thankfully my loaners were the best a horse owner could ever hope for :)