Passport question

PC Steele

Visit site
My Shetland has gone on loan locally to a lovely family. What do people do about passports? Do you give them a photocopy? I am local so can present the real thing when vaccinations are needed, or do you just give it to the loan family?

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
The passport should stay with the horse but the ones I have here for the RDA have their passports with the RDA group organiser and mine that has gone over to the RDA has its passport here. When needed the passport can be got quickly. The only thing is if travelling any distance or to shows needing to see the passport then the passport should be with the pony.

sywell

Visit site
Some studbooks give a certificate of ownership so you keep that and if someone wants to change ownership and they do not have one the studbook checks with the registered owner before carring out the change get you studbook to do it

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Some studbooks give a certificate of ownership so you keep that and if someone wants to change ownership and they do not have one the studbook checks with the registered owner before carring out the change get you studbook to do it
This.
Some also have a lease agreement to be completed by owner and loaner, which is noted against the registration, v much the same as sywell mentions above. If yours is a registered shetland OP, then worth checking with them, if not then check with the agency the pony is passported with and get a note attached to his registration.

Shay

Visit site
It's a legal requirement that the passport is with the animal.

It is and it isn't. The passport must be with the animal if it is transported with some discretion for an emergency. Otherwise you have to be able to get the passport to the checking authority within 30 minutes - again some discretion on circumstances. After all we do not (not usually anyway!) take the passport with us on every hack / sponsored ride or whatever.

The other problem is - no one checks! So whether the passport is in fact with the loaners or not is probably moot as no-one will ever find out.

If they transport regularly I would let them have it. They may get checked if the vehicle is sent to a weigh bridge (happened to me twice in however many years passports have been around) or more importantly if they break down and need a recovery company to collect the horses. They'll also need it if they compete as proof of vaccination. Otherwise if you are near enough to get the passport to them in the highly unlilkely event of a check or a vet emergency then to be honest there is no reason not to hang on to it.

Araby

Visit site
Had two on loan before buying them, had passports for both, but as registered with AHS, ownership certificate stayed with owner until purchase, only after purchase and signed form from owner could I transfer passports into my own name. I don't think all agencies issuing passports have the same scheme.