passport

Salacia

Visit site
Hi All,

I am just after some advice if that is ok. I am about to buy my first horse and this is the situation.
The current owner has only had her for 6 weeks and had already sent the horses passport off to be changed to her name, then she advised i will need to send it off at a later date to change it to my name. Is this acceptable to still buy the horse even though i do not physically have the passport? The current owner has advised she will be bringing proof of passport upon delivery of the horse.

joosie

Visit site
Nope. You must have the passport when you buy the horse.

From the BHS website.

I am looking to buy a horse – what steps should I take regarding the passport?
It is a legal requirement that a horse is sold with its passport. The BHS strongly advises that buyers do not purchase the horse if it does not have a passport. The owner of the horse must obtain a passport for the horse before it is sold. If you decide to purchase a horse without a passport, an offence will be committed if the horse is then transported to its new yard without a passport.

The buyer of the horse should check that the passport matches the description of the horse. If the passport was issued from 1 July 2009 the passport may not have a completed silhouette but will have a microchip number. The BHS advises that before purchasing a horse a pre-purchase veterinary examination is completed. At the time of the examination the veterinary surgeon can check that the implanted microchip in the horse matches the microchip number in the passport. For further advice see the BHS advice on Buying or Loaning a Horse (pdf).

At the time of purchasing the horse the registered owner must give the passport to the buyer. If the horse is not being sold but the ownership is being formally transferred, the new owner must still receive the passport.