Passports and Breed Societies

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
I intend to breed from my mare this year but she has an ID passport only with no indication as to breeding. I want to breed from her to keep the offspring for myself and she has a successful competition record. I am also looking into getting her graded by the SPSS based on her competition record.

Which PIOs/stud books will allow the progeny to be registered with the bottom half blank for breeding? I understand that this may mean going into an Auxiliary stud book but, as I am intending to use a very decent stallion, I don't want this part of the foals heritage to be lost from a recorded perspective.

I will want to show the foal and enter the Futurity.

Thanks in advance.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
If foal is to make under 15.2 then SPSS is the logical step as mare will be graded with them; if it's over 14.2 then SHBGB (for me anyway, others might say AES)
Whichever you choose, they should accept the breeding of your foal providing you have a correct current covering certificate and the stallion is properly registered with his society (doesn't have to be SHBGB) and you'll need to send in a copy of her passport for their records plus possibly get her DNA done.
I bred from a mare of unknown breeding but she was graded with SPSS and covered using a SPSS graded stallion; the passports all had the stallion's full breeding but just her name and grading number on her side.

dianchi

Visit site
I was in the same situation as my mares "papers" came from ireland seperate to her! I was able to register her as a full ISH as dad is a fully graded ID. (and rather super duper)

Be worth a quick check with who the sire is registered with!

sywell

Visit site
Check which breed societies have approved the stallion for breeding and check with them as some societies like the AES have different levels of approval. You will be advised to go the society which has approved the stallion and you should shop around to see what quality of papers they will give you. As an example if you used a Hanoverian Stallion and you had no pedigree for the dam you would get Partbred papers.

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I have got the stallion short-list down to 9 potential candidates and part of the 'weeding out' criteria was the societies that they are registered with and the options and restrictions that this places on registering the offspring. I can see some more internet research coming on.