Passports and where do we stand with them?

lollylobb

Visit site
I have recently put a horse out on trial which i have discovered is not being kept well. The trialler then claimed the horse as hers and has been trying to sell him. As it stands the passport and microchip are still in my name and no money has been exchanged for him ( including transportation fees.)

Now that i know exactly where he is i would like to go down and collect him asap. HOWEVER, the girl is slightly mad she has cut off all means of contact with me and said she will have me arrested for harassment if i try and contact her. She also is a serial liar.

when i fist was concerned with the mud in her fields she told me she had moved him- she hadn't
she then told me if i took him back it would be theft as the passport was in her name- i checked with weatherby's and it's not.
I then pointed out that that the microchip was not in her name and she told me she'd had it changed. I asked who by as it was an illegal change and she would not tell me
She then informed me that she had given him away- she hasn't

she also has my tack with him still. which i have also received no money for.

If i do go and get him the likelihood of her giving me the passport is slim- is there anything
that can be done about this to allow me to travel him without it for one trip?

thanks,
Lottie

Visit site
Strictly speaking horses should always travel with their passports but most rarely do and it's even rarer that they get checked. So I wouldn't worry about that part of the process. I would be more worried about the weirdo that has your horse and stuff.

pixie

Visit site
How long has she had it?
Was this LWVTB? Did she pay a deposit?
Is the horse at a livery yard or at their house?
Do you know how to get there?
Do you have use of a trailer?

Bethie

Visit site
Go collect him, take extra help just in case... Warn the local police of the situation beforehand in case you need to call in a breach of the peace should she kick off. If you have the yard owners contact details call to warn them you will be collecting so that they are also aware of the situation. Possession is not 9 tenths of the law but it can sure feel like it, so recover your property and don't stand her bullying lying theiving behaviour (I have flu and am not in a taking c**p mood today :))

Clippy

Visit site
You can get a "temporary" passport which is little more than a piece of paper with the passport number and horses name on it. I doubt you'll be stopped and asked for it by TS but it might come in handy to show the Police if there's any unpleasantness or difficulty when you go for him.

You should also tell Weatherbys not to entertain any attempt to change the ownership until the matter is resolved. You can ring them then write to them confirming your instructions in writing.

If she won't hand the passport back when you get your horse, just get a duplicate ;)

thatsmygirl

Visit site
This seems to be happening more and more hence why none of my horses will move anywhere.
I would be so angry, go and get your horse and stand for no crap.

Nicnac

Visit site
....and have watertight signed agreements including a deposit which will be returned if horse deemed not suitable.....

Do you have any proof that the horse is yours? If you have given over the passport, she could claim that she hasn't got around to changing it to her name when she 'bought' the horse.....

Good luck & hope you get him/her back soon!

lollylobb

Visit site
Apparently the girl has sold my horse for £2600 and claimed he is a 4 year old! o_o
He is 17!!!
I have contacted the police but they have claimed that it is a 'civil matter' now- how ridiculous!

He was on trial to go free to a good home but there was a contract which stated a 3 month trial period before i would hand him over and that there would have to be an exchange of money (£1) to make it legal.

I just wanted to find a good home for him and am deeply upset by this.
Currently trying to come up with a plan!!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Apparently the girl has sold my horse for £2600 and claimed he is a 4 year old! o_o
He is 17!!!
I have contacted the police but they have claimed that it is a 'civil matter' now- how ridiculous!

He was on trial to go free to a good home but there was a contract which stated a 3 month trial period before i would hand him over and that there would have to be an exchange of money (£1) to make it legal.

I just wanted to find a good home for him and am deeply upset by this.
Currently trying to come up with a plan!!

As I said above, contact MHOL - they are dealing with this sort of case all the time and will be able to help you. Good luck. x

PandorasJar

Visit site
I'd contact the new owner and let them know that the horse is stolen and that he is not a 4yo.
But I'd be inclined to say (if she is a compulsive liar) that the horse is still with her. Otherwise she's managed a hell of a task to sell a 17yo as a 4yo without a passport for £2,600.

If you know the area she's in, I'd be asking local yards and riders if they know her and if you find the horse I'd rock up with a trailer and collect.

bobajob

Visit site
It is a criminal metter not a civil matter. The Police feed everyone this line now to cut back on paperwork.

So lets say the following happened : This girl who has got the horse wont give it back. The police are informed but say it is a civil matter. The horse gets dumped and neglected in the field. Someone calls the RSpca. They scan the horse and the number is connected to you. Hence they come knocking and want to press criminal charges as the horse is in your name. The onus on you to prove what happened.
Get intouch with the Duty Inspector. If they fail to act go to the Police Complaints Department, then to the IPCC.

Luci07

Visit site
Just an additionial thought, google the girls details and see if she has done this before. ...as a dealer. Wonder if anyone on here could also advise is someone like trying standards would be interested in a sale which is so obviously a fraud.