Past posts have gotten me thinking!

Loupride

s25.photobucket.com
Ok so here goes......

Now I know this subject has come up before but I have to say it really annoys me! On more than one occasion comments have been made about others riding in a strong bit, spurs and a grackle
confused.gif
Well I do!!!! And yes I have my reasons for it!!! Sure I would to be able to jump around a course of fences in a snaffle but that isn't going to happen
confused.gif
I admit that I ride ina snaffle at home but when competing he is ridden in a 3-ring bit with two reins, a grackle and I wear spurs also. My spurs are not there to make him go faster but merely to enhance my leg aids, in many cases its totally the opposite as they allow me to achieve collection!

Anyway just had to get that off my chest! I feel like I am constantly defending what tack I use but deep down I know what suits my horse and as long as he is happy thats all I care about
grin.gif

And breathe
grin.gif

EllieBeast

Visit site
I am also fed up with the very apparent dislike of certain bits (ie the dutch gag) just because people feel that they are being used for fashion reasons. well sorry, but maybe i actually need that extra something when i ride my horse x tank!
*breathe*
tongue.gif
- good to get it off your chest isnt it?

ihatework

Visit site
I personally don't see anything wrong with it provided the rider has independant seat, legs and hands and has sufficient knowledge to use the equiptment correctly.
I think where such items are used by a less experienced rider who cannot yet apply correct and consistent aids is where the problem is, all the horse ends up getting is confused signals!

frannieuk

Visit site
I agree with you, and ride one of mine in a dutch gag, on the bottom ring and wear spurs, for the same reasons above. However it does get my goat hugely when you see children riding at the little local events with the gag and the spurs etc.

EllieBeast

Visit site
Honestly, it is quite apparent that whenever anyone mentions a certain piece of tack, people suddenly decide for you that you dont need it, even without knowing your horse. when i joined as a newbie i was shot down in flames for using a gag. GRR
mad.gif

EllieBeast

Visit site
i know what you mean, ubt i have found people to judge me too quickly for using the equipment i do. i mean come on, this is the most trussed up my horse ever is -

moomoo.jpg
- please excuse the stroppy face! - grumpy moo was well ready to start the xc phase
blush.gif

hardly strapped together is she?

Loupride

s25.photobucket.com
I totally agree with your point on children or novice riders (I personally dont think novice riders should wear spurs anyway) but it just seems that people can be quick to make judgements sometimes without knowing the full story behind the picture.

Parkranger

Visit site
I think that people who spend their life bitching about how other people ride their horses, need to spend a little more time concentrating on their own thing.....

MagicMelon

Visit site
I really think people disagree only with those who seem to use it as a fashion accessory. If you need a dutch gag, fine. I dont personally use this type of bit, I hate it! What bugs me is when so many children seem to use them on ponies which quiet clearly do not need them and are horrendous with their hands......

If you need a gag, fine! I dont think anybody argues with that!
wink.gif

allijudd

Visit site
well i ride with a pelham and spurs...however i do feel that there shopuld be a reason for all bits and you should try to ride with the minimum that is required for that horse....and every horses is different....and everybody rides diffrently......

Parkranger

Visit site
I suppose I'm lucky in that I'm at a yard with adults so I don't get to witness this - sure I will as I attend more shows next year though!

EllieBeast

Visit site
Unfortuanately you see this all too often, however i get annoyed when all people who use certain items are tarred with the same brush. I can now showjump my horse in the same bit, but on the top bit ring. and do flatwork in a mullen mouth snaffle (again, happymouth). yet why am i looked down on for using this bit for my own and my horses wellbeing, wheras if i was using a pelham no one would give a second glance?

kirstyfk

Visit site
There is nothing wrong with using a strong bit and spurs if you are a good enough rider. From looking at pictures of both live_wire and loupride you both look like you can use your tack as it was intended. I personally do not like dutch gags, i don't like there action and restrictions and feel there are other bits out there which do just as good a job. However if you are happy with your tack and your horse goes well in it then there shouldn't be a problem.

Sparklet

Visit site
I'm not sure who has looked down on you but even you must admit that there are some who use far too much 'stopping tack' accompanied by spurs. The worst thing I have ever witnessed was a poor horse wearing a gag (bottom ring), draw reins and a nice pointy pair of spurs.

The poor horse paddled in a circle because it couldnt move fowards or backwards but she fiddled with it constantly, alternatively pulling and kicking JUST TO STAND STILL!

It had the most enormous muscle on the under side of its neck and was almost concave over the top where you would expect some muscle.

The rider and horse were at a local show.

I certainly did look down on her, in fact I was desperately sad for the poor horse who - by rights should have bucked the silly girl off - but I suspect an additional layer of tack would have been added if it had.

Am I wrong to hold that view?

Loupride

s25.photobucket.com
No not at all, I have seen many cases myself sadly.

However the point Im trying to make it that not all people who use a 3ring and spurs are like that. It seems silly to have to say that but unfortunately the reality is that some people just assume its afashion accessory
confused.gif

EllieBeast

Visit site
of course not, but i am just speaking from personal experience. i dont wear spurs, just use this bit (with roundings on the snaffle and middle holes, as above). if i tried spurs i think my horse would send me into orbit!
blush.gif

you are most certainly NOT wrong to hold that view, but its when people keep that thought in their minds and apply it to everyone who cannot do everything in a snaffle that annoys me. when i got my horse (she was aged 6) she was already a strong beast, and i have been trying my very best to train her out of this habit, but i feel - for my safety, and for the comfort of my horse, i need to have slightly more brakes for xc.

Sparklet

Visit site
Absolutely I am not dismissing a gag, nor a gag used with spurs if someone feels that fits their horse best.

A horses shape and behaviour will always tell a story and I have seen many horses ridden with a snaffle, spurs and harsh hands with an equally large muscle under the neck.

Dogbetty141

Visit site
Welcome to the bitchiness of the horse world it is always like that and always will be. everyone knows better than anyone else. You have to do what you feel is best for you and your horse.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
"Welcome to the bitchiness of the horse world it is always like that and always will be. everyone knows better than anyone else. You have to do what you feel is best for you and your horse. " Says it all really, but at the same time don't put people down for questioning things, we can't learn if we dont question why. Mo is schooled in a snaffle but not in a millon years are you going to jump her round a course in it. So for jumping she is in a pelham, she hardly ever wears a martingale. Bailey on the other hand is in a 3 ring with martingale, but he is not ours & my daughter rides very quietly & never in spurs. I have nothing against spurs as long as the person has an independant seat & knows what they are doing.

1928sky

Visit site
The problem is that most people that wear these "gadgets" as fashion accessories aside from not needing them don't actually know how to fit them properly causing pain and discomfort to the horse and giving the said item a bad name. How many dutch gags do you see on too long cheekpieces because most cheekpieces of ready made bridles aren't short enough so they get no poll pressure on bottom ring and just blind the horse as the cheekpiece goes forward when it is used. Lots of people also don't do grackles up correctly with the rings too far forward causing pressure on bone and most people don't actually do them up tight enough to prevent them crossing the jaw so whats the point? Thats my mini rant over! I never consider using a piece of tack unless my trainer has specifically said it might be an idea to try it. Consequently I do ride in a grackle but my horse does actually cross its jaw and it has helped enormously.

Vicki1986

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I know what suits my horse and as long as he is happy thats all I care about

[/ QUOTE ]

what you have said sums it up exactly.

yes people can offer advice etc but i dont really think people should judge or criticise without riding the horse for themselves.

my pony is in a grakle (yes cos she cross's her jaw, not because she is a slave to fashion) and a tom thumb gag for xc & hunting on the bottom hole, on the snaffle for SJ, and flatwork a waterford loose ring or wilkie depending on what we are doing. people criticise me as i change her bit a lot - but if i dont she hangs drags and pulls like mad and i have now found combination that suit her best which is all that matters - not what other people think. i also ride her in a running martingale

yes i can ride her in just a cavesson noseband and an eggbut snaffle, but she works badly sticks her head in the air and sods off! so whats the point!!

Tia

Visit site
It doesn't matter to me what someone else chooses to ride their horse - I really couldn't care less. I do find it astonishing though that people will use bits and gadgets without fully understanding them....seems a bit like "trying to run before you can walk" syndrome.

Certain bits are perfect for certain styles of riding, certain nosebands encourage certain changes in a horse's going and most on the market definitely have their place.

Dutch gags (since this seems to be what has got your back up) used within western riding works okay, using them for English riding makes no sense to me as it is a completely different style of riding which asks for a good contact and gives the horse totally conflicting "advice". Used correctly there is nothing wrong with this bit, although I believe there are far better bits out there to choose from, but that's just my opinion.

The crux of the matter is understanding - the ignorant use of something which has such dramatic effects is something that I strive not to do. Before any piece of tack is placed on any of my horses, it is researched and fully understood. I know not all people are like this and as I say at the end of the day it matters not to me; however should someone ask questions on any of them, if I have it within my knowledge-banks, then I will answer as concisely as I can. Take it or leave it.