Pasture Pumps

Cragrat

Visit site
Has anyone used these for horses?

https://mcveighparker.com/aquamat-ii-pasture-pump-kit

I know they are successful for cattle, but I'm not so confident all mine would learn to use it - one would, because she is nosy and pushy, and another is quite quick to learn things, but the other is bit 'nice-but-dim' and I'm worried he would just stand there looking at it. He's bottom of the pecking order, so he wouldn't be able to muscle in on someone elses water.

Gift Horse

Visit site
I haven’t seen these before, clever idea.
If I had a stream on my land I’d probably make a drinking area with a small area of hardstanding rather than buy a pump but I realise it depends on the topography.

mariew

Visit site
I'd be worried about water flow in hot weather and getting enough to drink (much like automatic water drinkers in stables). I'd like to know how these are / work different to automatic water troughs?

Abby-Lou

Visit site
Just keep in mind possible water contamination, we had a chemical spillage running through our beck a few years back.

Cragrat

Visit site
If I had a stream on my land I’d probably make a drinking area with a small area of hardstanding rather than buy a pump but I realise it depends on the topography.

Sadly there is no way to make safe access down to the water - that would definitely be my first choice .

I figure if they can supply enough water for a small herd of cattle, they should cope with 3 horses . I can pretty much rule out chemical contamination of the water source as it springs on the moor just above our field. There is no realistic way of getting tap water up there, other than my current method of carrying 2 x 25 litre barrels a day up . My biggest concern is whether or not the horses will actually drink from it.

cauda equina

Visit site
Maybe set it up high enough that you could put a trough of some sort underneath, and if necessary do the pumping yourself so that it overflows into the trough?
I don't know if that would be more fag than your current arrangement though