Patey vs Safety Hat

SpringArising

Visit site
The Honri hunt caps and top hats have always looked really ugly IMO.

You know what's even more ugly? A bashed in skull and the view of your arse as someone else wipes it for you.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Holy crap, that's scary.

Yes, it was.
I landed on a stone road, was briefly knocked out and had concussion which affected me for a month. The shell of the skull cap was scuffed away beyond the black rough coating and the next layer. When I wiped the mud off you could see the layers. It could have been a lot worse even with the skull cap. I don’t like to think about the consequences if I had not been wearing it.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
For an additional £30 you can have a leather harness fitted, though the manufacturer declares that ‘This does not make the cap a BSI standard cap’ ?.

All Hunt Caps finished in Velvet cost £685.00

• For Caps finished in tweed or leather please ask for a price
  • Caps finished with a leather harness cost £715.00
You pays your money...

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would never wear my Patey now it lives in its box .In the past the safety hats where really not that good and wearing a Patey or similar was really not quite as silly as I think it is now .
The current standard hats can made a huge difference in an accident this was not always the case technology is much better as is the testing which can prove which hats protect the most .
while I support the right of people to take their own choices I do think it’s a stupid choice to wear such a hats while sitting on a horses back .

Winters100

Visit site
They look lovely. I have to say that they would not be my choice as I have had a few bad falls, including one which resulted in a concussion that lasted more than 6 months, and I suppose without a good helmet it would have been worse. You are an adult and you know the risks - do make sure that you fully consider the risks in advance - but if for you the risk/reward ratio is ok then enjoy.

Interestingly where I am based I am one of the few on the yard who consistently wears a helmet. I would never criticise anyone for their choice, and the only time I said anything was when one of the other owners asked if she could give a small child a ride on one of mine - since it was my horse who was to be used I simply told them that I would not be comfortable without the child wearing a helmet. I cannot say that I do not sometimes think to myself that some of the other owners and the pros are taking huge risks, but saying something seems pointless since they must already know this.