Patrick Kittell..

Booboos

Visit site
Sorry to resurrect a quiet thread but coincidentally someone has popped up in the Adelinde Cornelissen thread to say that they feel the whole of riding is abusive. He/she is immediately being called mad, a troll, taking the piss, etc. but if the argument from feeling is enough to ban rollkur then it is equally good for banning all of riding.

BTW I am NOT Pompidou!!! :)

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Why not!? Great idea! It would save me loads!

When you ponder about it for long enough, I do wonder why we keep these animals in sqaures of varying sizes, worry ourselves sick over them for a few minutes of pleasure a day or so. Is it because we all want to satisfy some inner twisted ego?

I think that is the case for me and I just have to live with it. It's an addiction I can't quit yet. Plus, it keeps me busy.

Riding is probably cruel, or else we wouldn't spend so much on trying to make it as comfortable and as humane as possible.... In most cases anyway. In competition, or where money is involved, sometimes it seems, the horse isn't even considered as a sentient being.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
i tend to look at it from the other side, if we didn't keep horses to ride, there would be no horses in this country unless we took to eating them and kept them as livestock.

Renvers

Visit site
i tend to look at it from the other side, if we didn't keep horses to ride, there would be no horses in this country unless we took to eating them and kept them as livestock.

this ^^. It is also unnatural for me to sit in an office for hours everyday looking at a computer, but that is the requirement of the social structure I am in and the benefits outweigh the alternative. I figure my horses are equally accepting of the price of stability, shelter and guaranteed food and good health.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Ok well, this could be verging on the ridiculous but, why eat horse when you can have beef? Or lamb.... Or deer....

Anyway, I like keeping horses to ride. They look pretty, they make me happy and furthermore I just blinking well like them.

I feed and clothe them... They want for nothing. Where would they be without us horse lovers? Probably treated like goats for land management or something. Not much fun.... :D

JFTDWS

Visit site
Why eat beef when you can eat lamb? Because it's different. So I guess why not eat pony?

I'd rather keep mine to ride than eat though :D

RuthM

Visit site
Booboos - as a proffesor no less I can only assume the straw man of 'argument from feeling enough to ban rollkur' is as deliberate as it is outrageous!

Mondy

Visit site
Ok well, this could be verging on the ridiculous but, why eat horse when you can have beef? Or lamb.... Or deer....

Because horse meat is healthy and has a good taste. There is less fat but it is more succulent and harder to cook dry. In Denmark, it is becoming increasingly popular, especially within the equestrian community where it is seen as a sensible way of 'disposing of' the horses from the big studs which are simply not good enough.

If people in Britain could be convinced to eat horse we could save some poor animals from the horrific ordeal of the slaughter-transports to Europe.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Because horse meat is healthy and has a good taste. There is less fat but it is more succulent and harder to cook dry. In Denmark, it is becoming increasingly popular, especially within the equestrian community where it is seen as a sensible way of 'disposing of' the horses from the big studs which are simply not good enough.

If people in Britain could be convinced to eat horse we could save some poor animals from the horrific ordeal of the slaughter-transports to Europe.

It's difficult enough to convince people to eat veal, never mind horse meat!!

Pale Rider

Visit site
http://youtu.be/Vh0cvIA8pk8

The above is Tom McCutcheon at the FEI World Reining Final in Malmö, Sweden in May 2011.

He got loads of stick for this, rightly so.

Another example of the FEI well on top of the job :D.

Funny how Anky took to reining, lol.

Just more examples of riders at the top level of their sport going to any lengths to win. Horses are only there to support their goal and ambition, the welfare of the horse matters not to these people. If they need to cheat and be abusive, so what. There are thousands who will pop along to watch grinning and aplauding, and a governing body mired in who knows what, turning a blind eye, allowing this to continue.
These people are contemptable in every way.

LittleBlackMule

Visit site

The above is Tom McCutcheon at the FEI World Reining Final in Malmö, Sweden in May 2011.

Yes, I can see why Manky van Gruesome finds reining so appealing; she must feel completely at home with the yank'n'crank brigade.

kerilli

Visit site
Tbh I sincerely wish the Brits weren't so utterly weird about eating horsemeat. Apparently it's an ancient thing to do with having worshipped Epona, or something! Cattle are as intelligent as horses, most people eat them. Pigs are more intelligent than dogs fgs, yet most people don't care about the awful way many are farmed.
If we ate horsemeat in this country then horses would be more valuable, even the awful specimens, because, to put it bluntly, 'meat money' would be higher. Welfare standards would improve imho, and more unwanted horses could be humanely pts (not the worst thing that can happen to a horse - look at Spindles Farm fgs) meaning the remainder were valued more.
Once a horse is dead, ideally as humanely as possible and after a nice life (short or otherwise), does it really matter whether it is eaten by dogs or by people?
Don't get me wrong, I love horses, and I wish every horse could have a lovely long life with a devoted caring owner, but I'm also a realist. While we have hundreds of thousands too many horses which are poor specimens and of very low value, welfare won't improve, and that's more tragic than horses being humanely killed and then eaten.

vinnie

teendressagedream.com
The only place a horse's head should be when it is "low", "down" or "stretching", is with it's nose on or just in front of the vertical, seeking and elastic contact which the rider grants with a soft hand.
IMO, a horse should NEVER be behind the vertical, not if the training is correct. And I actually don't know how people can get up to such a high level when they train with such a restrictive hand... hmmm.

xxlindeyxx

Visit site

Just more examples of riders at the top level of their sport going to any lengths to win. Horses are only there to support their goal and ambition, the welfare of the horse matters not to these people. If they need to cheat and be abusive, so what. There are thousands who will pop along to watch grinning and aplauding, and a governing body mired in who knows what, turning a blind eye, allowing this to continue.
These people are contemptable in every way.

At the start of that video its looks like what ive seen Marcus Ehning (showjumper) do in the warm up ring . Its in all disciplines and is so rediculous that FEI turn a blind eye. :mad: