Patrol/Trooper/Cherokee towing capacity

Suechoccy

Visit site
Hi,
Need to think about replacing my ageing beloved Fourtrak which has served me brilliantly for ten years (my 2nd Fourtrak) ... would love to replace it with another Fourtrak but as they were discontinued in 2001, the chances of finding a non-rusty, non-knackered last-of-the-line one is fairly slim....

Looking at up to £10k and reckoning on something around 7-8 years old and less than 70,000 miles to tow 3500kg (IW 505, 2 x 16.2hh horses plus tack, water and 2 peeps in the car).

Have narrowed it down to 3 possible models:

Nissan Patrol? Looks the current favourite to me. Tell me about your Patrols. Recommended? mpg? etc?

Isuzu Trooper? Older ones don't burn fuel injectors but newer ones do?

Jeep Cherokee. Not all variants can tow 3500kg. Have googled Jeep Cherokee towing capacity but not found anything definitive. Can anyone let me know?

ta!

paddi22

Visit site
I have an absolute banger of trooper over 15 years old and i love it. It's a tank of thing, but its so steady towing and the 4 wheel drive is incredible on it.

ROG

Visit site
............ to tow 3500kg (IW 505, 2 x 16.2hh horses plus tack, water and 2 peeps in the car).
People in the car have nothing to do with the towing capacity

HB505 with 2 horses tack + water is probably going to weigh about 2500 max so why do you need a 3500 towing capacity?

dixie

Visit site
Love my jeep. Got a 2009 Cherokee auto. Very easily tows 510 with two horses.
Also had a Grand Cherokee which was lush.
Previously had three manual Nissan Terranos, again no longer made. Towing capacity was 2800 and again easily towed 510 and two horses. Prefer an automatic now tho.

My mother has a Isuzu which is fairly old -R reg - still going very strong. Not as refined as the Jeep though but a very good workhorse.

Suechoccy

Visit site
People in the car have nothing to do with the towing capacity

HB505 with 2 horses tack + water is probably going to weigh about 2500 max so why do you need a 3500 towing capacity?

ah, I don't need 3500kg in that case. (I thought the load in the car counted towards the towing capacity. If not, then 2500kg should just cover 2 x 16.2 in an IW505 so 3000kg would be ample. Thank you for teh clarification!

skint1

Visit site
I have an absolute banger of trooper over 15 years old and i love it. It's a tank of thing, but its so steady towing and the 4 wheel drive is incredible on it.

Same here. The only thing that frustrates me with mine is the electrics they can be a bit temperamental. I get it serviced once a year, and it has 212k on the clock I will be sad when it goes to the car lot in the sky

paddi22

Visit site
Same here. The only thing that frustrates me with mine is the electrics they can be a bit temperamental. I get it serviced once a year, and it has 212k on the clock I will be sad when it goes to the car lot in the sky

I'l be devastated when mine goes too! The electric are a bit funny as well, you wouldn't want to be in a hurry opening the windows fully - it takes about 4 mins for them to open fully.

maisie06

Visit site
Jeep Cherokee - towing capacity = big fat ZERO......
Trooper - I had a shortwheel based 3 door towed 3.3 tonnes, when working fab, but spent more time not working....the 3.1 engine was the best the 3.0ltr had lots of problems with injectors...
Nissan Patrol - I would love one, if I can find one, but do look at the Terrano, I'm going to get rid of the Cherokee for one of these!

I had a fourtrack too - best towing car I ever had, gutted they stopped making them.

skint1

Visit site
With the Troopers is it the 3.0 Diesel engines that are a bit ropey? (I have a 3.1) I am just having a look on auto trader, seen a couple of 2002 3.0s that are tempting (sorry to hijack the thread)

ROG

Visit site
ah, I don't need 3500kg in that case. (I thought the load in the car counted towards the towing capacity. If not, then 2500kg should just cover 2 x 16.2 in an IW505 so 3000kg would be ample. Thank you for the clarification!

The vehicle GVW refers to the maximum weight the vehicle can be when fully loaded

The trailer plated MAM refers to the maximum weight the trailer can be when fully loaded UNLESS the towing capacity is less than the MAM in which case the towing capacity will be the max the trailer can be when loaded

Thought that might be useful for future reference

PS - I assume you have a B+E licence?

Zebedee

Visit site
Oh yes, most definitely the king of towing trucks!!

3500kg towing capacity

This re the Trooper ! The Injector issues were sorted out via a manufacturers recall which is still valid if you get one that hasn't already been done. We got a low mileage 04 model (one of the last) about 3yrs ago & it's amazing as a tow vehicle. I also use it for a fair bit of motorway work & while it's not going to break any speed records its comfortable & steady even in the worst of weather conditions :)
We do need the 3500kg towing capacity and went through pretty much the same process as you've done narrowing down the suitable makes & models. An equivalent Discovery in terms of age and mileage would have cost three times what we paid for the Trooper, so reckon it was money well spent.

Last edited:

Clannad48

Visit site
Love my Cherokee but now not even allowed to tow a paper bag. Until the recall issue has been sorted out don't go near one with someone else's bargepole. I suggest you look at the Jeep Cherokee postings

Pebble101

Visit site
We had a Jeep Cherokee for towing and hated it. It had gearbox problems as well which Jeep blamed on the tyres - the tyres fitted by the Jeep dealer! Also see all the posts about tow bars and the recall.

paddi22

Visit site
my trooper is a 3.0 and the last owners had the engines changed as part of the recall a few years ago. Touch wood, this has done the job and it will keep going for a few more years!

alsxx

Visit site
OP, I realise not the car you have narrowed down to, but I just replaced my towing car with a Kia Sorento - manual diesel, 5 yrs old with FSH and 21k on the clock for £11k.... I'm really pleased with it. Mine towes 3t but there are some that tow 3.5t.

Clannad48

Visit site
OP, I realise not the car you have narrowed down to, but I just replaced my towing car with a Kia Sorento - manual diesel, 5 yrs old with FSH and 21k on the clock for £11k.... I'm really pleased with it. Mine towes 3t but there are some that tow 3.5t.

alsxx - I am also considering one of these, albeit an automatic, do you mind me asking what sort of mpg you actually get.

NaeNae87

Visit site
It's not one of the ones you mentioned.... but Isuzu Rodeos have tow capacities from 2.5T.

I have a 2x4 manual diesel one and it is a beast. Tows fantastically, great on fuel and not too pricey. It's great for running to the stock feeders and picking up hay rolls, it fits all my gear for shows when we go camping. It was second hand and it's not super flash, but it does all I need it to and more. I would definitely buy another one. :)

Janee

Visit site
I have the Nissan Navarra, believe same as Pathfinder but has the seperate back. I love it, it is fun to drive (when not towing, which I hate) tows with no effort an Ifor 505 with 2 horses and all the "stuff", turning circle not great and is a long vehicle when reversing, but I haven't towed with any of the others on your list so can't compare.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I had (have, Dad's got it at the mo) and I love it!

It was an 04 plate. Towed like a dream and no, I didn't need a 3.5t towing capacity but I did want a beefy vehicle to get me out of tricky ground and that it did plus towed some other people out too.

I've no idea how to post photos on this forum now it's changed but I think I can add to profile photos so can add on there if you wanted with a trailer on the back so you can see how it looks?

miss_wilson

Visit site
loved towing with our jeep Grande Cherokee had a 3500KG tow limit, now gone to car heaven!! i`ve just bought a Hyundai Santa fe - can tow 2500Kg

alsxx

Visit site
alsxx - I am also considering one of these, albeit an automatic, do you mind me asking what sort of mpg you actually get.

So sorry, only just spotted this!

I worked out mpg in mine at 31mpg - this was based on consumption over 2 weeks driving (about 500miles) which consisted of short trips to the yard, some motorway driving, and carting the trailer about (I think it was 3 or 4 shorter journeys as well as a longer trip down the m25!).