Pau, as a spectator?

Jules19

Visit site
Anyone been? I know it is some time away but may be planning a trip there for October. Any tips? Best way to get there, plane, train or automobile? Any hotel recommendations? All info much appreciated. Local airport is Stansted and looks like Biarritz is the most workable destination at the mo, unless someone tells us otherwise.

Many thanks. :)

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Lovely event we did the 2* a few years ago so no tips on accommodation or travel (it was a long drive in a lorry!) It is a lovely event very friendly and lovely area as well. We did hire a car and do some touring and the mountains are not to be missed.

By English standards the tradestands were not that great but the whole event had a lovely feel and you could get closer to the action than you can at events in this country. I would well recommend it.

Jules19

Visit site
Thanks for that, there was some suggestion of taking my box and buying something at the auction, but I suspect it wouldn't even make it down there, let alone home again ;)We would definitely be going for the vibe and the action side of things, nothing you have said has put me off so far!

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Thanks for that, there was some suggestion of taking my box and buying something at the auction, but I suspect it wouldn't even make it down there, let alone home again ;)We would definitely be going for the vibe and the action side of things, nothing you have said has put me off so far!

We totally loved ok being part of it made it special but the place the area everything best event ever, saving up for a return trip!

zacinto

Visit site
Hi Sarah_Jane,

I'm hoping to tag along with Jules19 to Pau too, so interesting to hear your positive feedback.

Bit worried I like the look of the CIC2* a bit too much and want to return with the trusty steed as Houghton Hall was expensive enough without international travel costs!!

wilde2

Visit site
We went last year - drove (more because I am not keen on flying), friends went via City airport, although we are nearest to Stansted too. Long drive (Eurotunnel + then overnight stop). Lovely event (helped by fab weather - nearly cooked watching the showjumping!), much quieter though than Badminton etc. The hotel we stayed in was close, and good value, very helpful. I can probably find someone that can remember what it was called if you are interested!

Jules19

Visit site
Yes please wilde2, hotel recommendation would be much appreciated. And will look into flights from City, hadn't thought of that.

I note the thin disguise of a holiday has already fallen away Z, this is blatantly a recce trip! ;)

wilde2

Visit site
Found it! We stayed at La Palmeraie (a best western). I think a couple of the people we went with put comments on trip advisor. Not somewhere I would choose for holiday location if you were going to spend loads of time at the hotel, but as a base it was ideal - and they were very accomodating!

JCWHITE

Visit site
Pau airport is fairly handy, not sure who flies into there now, used to be a Ryanair airport.
Event is held on the racecourse, so things are fairly central.
Previous poster is correct about non shopping at French horsey events, nothing like Badminton, or even a local show sometimes,maybe more wine and food stops!
Lots of choice in hotels and cheap chains, we stayed at the BB, its on a Zone commercial, so lots of handy shops and supermarkets nearby.
Save a day to visit the city, its stunning and the air is so clean and fresh.
If we didnt get livestream from French telly, we would go more often.
Enjoy!

kit279

Visit site
I grew up just South of Pau and it's a lovely event and a truly beautiful part of the world. Would recommend staying outside Pau in Jurancon country and hire a car - it's very easy to drive to the event itself. Things to do there - try the wine (both Jurancon and Madiran) and have a wander down the Boulevard, the view to the Pyrenees is spectacular. If you have time to visit the mountains, I recommend either Lescun if you're into hiking or the Ossau valley for a bit of cycling and cheese. The city itself is pretty fun - good shopping and really nice restaurants, nightlife is a bit quiet relative to bigger towns but if you go with friends then it can be good fun. I wouldn't drive the lorry down there if you're thinking of buying a horse. The transporters will be better value and you can enjoy your holiday more!

Jules19

Visit site
Thanks everyone, plenty of ideas there. Does sound really rather lovely so will crack on with getting stuff organised.

Don't worry Kit, taking my 22 year old Theault was never really an option, it doesn't have any living :D

gracemoran

Visit site
We went last year and stayed at the All Suite Apartments which were tremendous value for money and only about 5 mins travel to event. We flew with Air France direct into Pau airport which made life so easy. Lots of lovely places to eat in the evenings and we did some touring as well. Mountain views are amazing. Event is lovely and not too far to walk to see anything as quite a compact site. Weather was cold in the morning and hot and sunny thereafter till about 7pm. Would recommend as you feel more part of the event as not as on such a large scale as Badminton and Burghley.

zacinto

Visit site
I didn't realise how beautiful Pau is - so sounds like we should definitely be setting aside time to have a look round as well as going to the horse trials.

I really like it when big events have a smaller event feel, you can get so much closer to the action.

Thanks gracemoran - we will look into Air France flights too.