Paul Jones saddles

Kylara

Visit site
Thoughts? Tried a horse yesterday in a PJ saddle and was very comfy and not super deep in the seat even though a dressage saddle.

I'm looking for a lighterweight dressage saddle (small person!) with shorter flaps and without a seriously huge block that holds your leg completely in place, something a bit more support if you need it rather than "your leg goes here and only here" type thing.

I really like albion but they are soooo heavy. This PJ saddle was very lightweight.

Does anyone have a PJ saddle who can give me thoughts on the quality, fit, ride etc?

Last edited:

Follysmum

Visit site
My pony has a PJ saddle. Good value IMO. Has been mainly used for hacking and XC. My friend jumps in it and has remarked how nice it is. Had it about 5 years and still looks really good. Never had any issues with fit, ponies back always been fine when Mctimoney lady has been.

_EVS_

Visit site
I bought a PJ jump saddle a few weeks ago. So far so good! Fitted my boy really well where I have struggled with other saddles. I use a WOW for hacking and schooling and its so goddam heavy! :-(

Kylara

Visit site
Heavy saddles are horrific. I'm tiny and hate tacking stuff up in heavy saddles, hard enough to lug onto a 14hh horse, let alone an albion on a 16.3hh!

So lightweight is up there in the list of must haves for a saddle!

Glad they seem to have good reviews. I hadn't heard of them before.

Kylara

Visit site
What's the fit like? Pretty flexible or a bit limited to the horses they'll fit? I'm leaning towards one of these, but their website is not massively helpful!

Follysmum

Visit site
I had previously got a well known saddler fitter out to fit the pony, saddle fitter said mmmm pony looks like a difficult fit , not sure about what we will have. I got in touch with lady who measured her up , she could not see any problems, had a made to measure from PJ .

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
The websites of these workshops are limited as everything pretty much is made to measure. They're definitely not top end saddles, fitting depends on how good the fitter is. I only get to see those that aren't working but the handful I've seen over the years haven't had flat enough trees for the flat backs they were on.

Kylara

Visit site
No idea as don't yet have horse! Just having viewed a horse with one and finding it comfy I wanted some opinions on them. Seat size I'm flexible with whatever really, I fit into kids saddles fine, so!

Whatever I get needs to have short flaps for my tiny legs! and not way an absolute tonne (looking at you albion!)

Rudolph's Red Nose

Visit site
Arrh ok, sorry misread your initial post - friend who is selling her's loves it, very comfy but just slightly too big for her horse - good luck in your horse search 😊