Paw injuries and dog shoes

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
My Labrador is on and off lame due to some damage to the pads of her paws. So I've got some balm for her paws, but I can't really walk her at the moment because as enthused as she is, I don't think I want to walk a dog hopping on 3 legs.

The skin just needs to heal I guess.

But what about shoes/boots? I ordered a pair from Amazon. If they're not good for walking they could at least be decent for in the house or when I apply something to the paw.

I think it's because we walk on all sorts of terrain, the roads are salted, and the weather was dry along with ice. Last winter she was fine, but the weather was more mild.

Do any of you use boots for your dogs? Which ones would you recommend?

Any other tips are appreciated too.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We got some boots for a Staffy in the family who easily got sore feet but they made her feet sweaty and fell off easily. I don't think I would bother again.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
One of mine has crap feet, I feel your pain, most recently skinned a rear pad on the ice.
I have Ruffwear ones but he walks like a drunken spider and I'm too scared of him losing them. I just rest him and apply varying amounts of wound powder, Cut n Heal spray, Botanica herbal cream.
Just have to keep him to pavement, he's not an all-terrain dog. Interestingly he was raised in a town, my old dog was brought up in the mountains and grew up walking forestry tracks, he's definitely an off-road type.

Andie02

Visit site
Pro Active Paws Dog Boots Ireland dogbootsactive.com

They sell them at Hyperdrug but cheaper direct from manufacturer in Ireland.

windand rain

Visit site
Willow eats her feet found the best treatment to be nappy cream she wears socks held up with a bit of tape, in the house just after it is applied, once outside, without socks, the waterproofing helps to prevent them getting too soggy. I have been known to tape a plastic bag over the socks if her feet are very sore for her to go out for a wee. She has a yeast problem si its a bit of a pain sometimes

Andie02

Visit site
Willow eats her feet found the best treatment to be nappy cream she wears socks held up with a bit of tape, in the house just after it is applied, once outside, without socks, the waterproofing helps to prevent them getting too soggy. I have been known to tape a plastic bag over the socks if her feet are very sore for her to go out for a wee. She has a yeast problem si its a bit of a pain sometimes

Aromesse PetNat and Equinat Dermacton products for itchy dogs and horses.

There has been a couple of threads in All About Dogs recently about itchy dogs. Eliminate potatoes and sweet potatoes, rice, all grain, and sugar beet.

Andie02

Visit site
Aromesse Ultrasalve is good for healing, the horse size pot is better value than the dog size.

Also for healing active-silver.co.uk products.

For dogs itchy/mucky ears I have found the Aromesse silver ear cleaner and the Dermacton Ear Relief to be the best sold as a pack.

For a nasty cut I have used medical grade Manuka Honey until healing well, then followed with the Aromesse Ultrasalve having cleaned with active silver spray.

Last edited:

Kat_Bath

Visit site
Harvey went through similar last year - he got irritated by the grit and he also damaged pads. I can't remember if I posted here about boots (I think I did) but in the end, I bought these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/MOKCCI-Tru...t=&hvlocphy=1007375&hvtargid=pla-848432866999 (sorry, that is a long link!)

I was going to go for Hurta ones but the Truelove ones came higher up the leg so I figured they'd be slightly better for when he goes wading through the undergrowth! I'd recommend them. You have to do them up relatively tight but they stay on and they do a good job and Harvey is comfortable in them. He's had them on quite a lot this year as he started hopping on walks, probably due to grit and ice build up on his claws (we've had a tonne of snow and ice).

Clodagh

Visit site
You can get cheap balloon type boots that are worth it for low key exercise.
I’m having a mental blank on the name but you can get them from Amazon (shudders to say that, I boycott them!)

Bellasophia

Visit site
I live in the pre alps zone...
We have so much salt scattered on the ground here......recent temps went as low as minus 8 C....so the council are free salting ..
...each and every time I bring my two in from a short walk I rinse their feet in warm water.If not their feet will dry and crack..if then they should lick their feet they risk kidney compromise..
so a quick wash seems to be an easy fix..just dip the feet in warm water after a walk..

https://www.countryliving.com/uk/wildlife/pets/a30098912/grit-pet-warning/

[139672]

Visit site
Had this issue with my dog. I used small piece of lint dressing, with vet wrap then the Clearish tape You can use for bandages. It looks like scotch tape, mind you scotch tape would probably work. I put the tape over most of the vet wrap to keep it secure, to allow him to go out for a few short walks. Luckily pad damage cleared up within about 7 days I think