Paying for a new pony

Ahrena

Visit site
The last two I bought were bank transfer; one was because I had the horse on loan before I bought it, so it was already in my possession and the owner wasn't local.

The second was because I had the horse delivered by a transport company and she was 4 hours away so too far to go deliver the money after the vetting. Previously I've paid and been paid cash.

PonyclubmumZ

Visit site
We have gone for cash in the end, I felt a bit vulnerable withdrawing the money hence my last minute panic. Bank transfer sounds like a good idea in theory but it seems that it might not have been instant. Thanks for all your help, very excited now!

Auslander

Visit site
Just remember cash people nationwide only lets you get £ 300 per day unless you book it. Banks prob the same so you can't normally can't take over £ 1000 unless you give notice. Prob too soon as she getting pony tomorrow.........................

That's only cash machines. You can withdraw as much as you like over the counter.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I usually write a cheque and I have never had a buyer not happy with that .
I once used a building soc cheque ( they are guaranteed ) as long as not forged .
And have used cash a few times which normally I get by withdrawing it £500 a day from the bank and £1000 from the BS .
My last purchase was in March I wrote a cheque for him .
I almost never end up buying from someone who does know someone that knows me or that knows me themselves hence I think the ease of using a cheque .

only_me

Visit site
I've always written a cheque for any horses I've bought or been given a cheque for any horses I've sold!
But then the horsey community is pretty small herr and everyone knows everyone :)

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I've always written a cheque for any horses I've bought or been given a cheque for any horses I've sold!
But then the horsey community is pretty small herr and everyone knows everyone :)

Exactly why I would not accept a cheque from any of them. Never met such a crew in my life. Anyway, few accounts have a chequeing facility these days.
I have had the £££ in my account, released the goods only for the purchaser to stop the cheque ... hey ho £1000 of goods for the cost of stopping a cheque!
The bank just laughed at such naivety.
I would have to have a bank transfer before letting a horse go, and a big cash payment as a non returnable deposit if any other arrangement. No passport no receipt. No horse really. If its a lot of money use their solicitor as a banker. Of course he might be a crook too :)

Last edited:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
That's only cash machines. You can withdraw as much as you like over the counter.

Not in the Nationwide no you cannot unless you have pre booked it. My comment is about the Nationwide - they do not give you more than £ 500 unless you give them at least 24 hr notice

Auslander

Visit site
Not in the Nationwide no you cannot unless you have pre booked it. My comment is about the Nationwide - they do not give you more than £ 500 unless you give them at least 24 hr notice

Oh right. I must have misread the bit where you said "Banks prob the same so you can't normally can't take over £ 1000 unless you give notice" Sorry...

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Paypal? ... sounds daft but I recently bought a van this way my doofus of an Ex didn't think to check whether they would accept a card payment or not and... yes, you guessed it, they didn't so I paid with paypal. You get a certain degree of protection this way too. :) Check with seller beforehand though :)

If I was the seller I wouldn't accept Paypal. It may be free to use for the buyer but it costs the seller a percentage of the selling price. Depending on the cost of the horse it vould be a considerable amount going to Paypal. I normally deal in cash or bank transfer.

honetpot

Visit site
If I was the seller I wouldn't accept Paypal. It may be free to use for the buyer but it costs the seller a percentage of the selling price. Depending on the cost of the horse it vould be a considerable amount going to Paypal. I normally deal in cash or bank transfer.
I have paid for a ponies by Paypal twice, just did it as a gift. A transporter was picking it up and they would have had to come for the cash. I always try and pay cash. About 10 years ago I sold a car and I had to wait for the bankers draft to clear. I could not get another car until I had sold it so in the mean tie I had to drive it very carefully.