Paying for damage when leaving yard

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
When your horse trashes something, address it immediately. Speak with YO as to how they want it fixed, but do it immediately.

They have charged you as they have zero confidence that you will fix it before you leave. You didn’t solve it, so they solved it for you.

Pay it.
If they had zero confidence they shouldn't have given the option for the OP to do it herself.

Auslander

Visit site
Would you not ensure that your charges included an element of covering repairs?

Re this, and your previous post. As a YO, I expect to carry out reasonable repairs, and ongoing maintenance, so a proportion of my livery charges go towards keeping the place together.
I don't factor in costs for significant damage, like holes that horses have kicked in stable walls/doors, replacing 50m of new post and rail fencing, because a horse has shoved it's way through it, or other wilful destruction to the place, as I don't agree with making everyone pay more money to cover damage done by a few individuals.
I don't charge people for quite a lot that many people would, but equally I'm not letting the place get wrecked and quietly fixing it all out of my own pocket!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Re this, and your previous post. As a YO, I expect to carry out reasonable repairs, and ongoing maintenance, so a proportion of my livery charges go towards keeping the place together.
I don't factor in costs for significant damage, like holes that horses have kicked in stable walls/doors, replacing 50m of new post and rail fencing, because a horse has shoved it's way through it, or other wilful destruction to the place, as I don't agree with making everyone pay more money to cover damage done by a few individuals.
I don't charge people for quite a lot that many people would, but equally I'm not letting the place get wrecked and quietly fixing it all out of my own pocket!

I take your point but I would have the p&r fence reinforced with electric offset to the top rail, so that horses are discouraged form barging through. I imagine that your stables will be made from suitable materials in the first place, rather than MDF(!). I really don't think that many horses wilfully destroy things, they just scratch on them, or lean heavily, or maybe attempt to kick a neighbour through the wall. Boxes, especially but also fences should be built to withstand such antics, imho.

Auslander

Visit site
I take your point but I would have the p&r fence reinforced with electric offset to the top rail, so that horses are discouraged form barging through. I imagine that your stables will be made from suitable materials in the first place, rather than MDF(!). I really don't think that many horses wilfully destroy things, they just scratch on them, or lean heavily, or maybe attempt to kick a neighbour through the wall. Boxes, especially but also fences should be built to withstand such antics, imho.

I do agree with you, and saying wilful damage was possibly not my best use of language! What I meant was damage caused by kicking, barging and generally being an oaf - rather than wear and tear. My post and rail does have electric but the horse who flattened it cared not! I watched him sanding there looking at the fence, weighing up the potential pitfalls, and then deciding to batter his way through it, for no obvious reason, other than he could.
My stables would successfully contain an angry elephant. Their overengineeredness is a long running joke!

sherry90

Visit site
To be honest, she could have another new client looking at the stable ready for when you leave and want it to be righted for this which is a fair point. For £40 I would just pay up and be gone, whilst you don’t want to go back there, I wouldn’t want to leave on bad terms. And MDF sheet is about £20 maybe compromise and say you will pay half as you did offer to do the labour?