PE GCSE Horse riding

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Has anyone done this or have a child who's done it?

Daughter is due to hand her video in next week and we are all but sorted. The remaining issue Is a half pirouette in trot. Is this even do-able? Attempts look scruffy and wobbly at best!
Several people have just said to do it in canter with an accompanying letter stating its just not the done thing!

sam_m

Visit site
I did my GCSE PE exam 10 years ago under Edexcel, the grade 9-10 boundary is still the same now as it was then:

9-10
Is a confident rider who performs skills very effectively.
Can jump a variety of fences at 2 ft 9 cross-country or 3 ft show jumping, showing good balance and
effectiveness in the five phases of the jump.
Or is able to show very good control in performing riding figures in walk, trot and canter, reining
back, turns on forehand demonstrating the ability to ride consistently on the bit and ride the horse to
collection. Should attempt quarter pirouettes.
Has an excellent knowledge of equitation and designs and rides a highly complex routine.

I would get her PE teacher as a matter of urgency to call the exam board and clarify the situation to prevent marks being lost. I got dispensation to submit a lower height jumping video due to injury but only after desperate calls to clarify what back up paperwork I'd need

Illusion100

Visit site
Pirouette in trot? For GCSE? Who is writing this nonsense?!

Pirouettes tend to be performed in walk and canter and to achieve a 'trot' pirouette the horse would need to piaffe to perform it correctly!

Somebody has made an error about this......

be positive

Visit site
I am just helping someone do their video and my understanding is that it does not have to show every detail but just be used as a back up to the mark I give as the assessor, it may not even get looked at by the moderator who may not know what half the moves are anyway, we have not even tried the half piri, it is beyond the level of riding required for a 9-10 in my opinion.

Your daughters instructor should be able to give her a mark and it seems as if that will be accepted with the video being looked at if required to confirm the mark is fair, this has changed since I last went through it about 8? years ago when the video was assessed by the teachers, I guess they have found it tricky if a teacher has no riding knowledge so have brought in this new way of assessing, it is not only applicable to riding but covers most sports that take place outside of school.

be positive

Visit site
Pirouette in trot? For GCSE? Who is writing this nonsense?!

Pirouettes tend to be performed in walk and canter and to achieve a 'trot' pirouette the horse would need to piaffe to perform it correctly!

Somebody has made an error about this......

Not the only error, the jumping is now 2ft 6in SJ and 2ft 9in XC , someone has made a mistake as it used to be that the SJ was higher than the XC which would be more normal and safer, the alternative to jumping is to ride in a double bridle.

sam_m

Visit site
I am just helping someone do their video and my understanding is that it does not have to show every detail but just be used as a back up to the mark I give as the assessor, it may not even get looked at by the moderator who may not know what half the moves are anyway, we have not even tried the half piri, it is beyond the level of riding required for a 9-10 in my opinion.

Your daughters instructor should be able to give her a mark and it seems as if that will be accepted with the video being looked at if required to confirm the mark is fair, this has changed since I last went through it about 8? years ago when the video was assessed by the teachers, I guess they have found it tricky if a teacher has no riding knowledge so have brought in this new way of assessing, it is not only applicable to riding but covers most sports that take place outside of school.

My PE teacher came out several times in the run up to my video and spoke with my instructor as he was allowed to mark, the video was a justification to the mark that had been awarded but as said I did mine 10 years ago. I will never forget the poor guys face as he was there the day I fell and was injured

sam_m

Visit site
Not the only error, the jumping is now 2ft 6in SJ and 2ft 9in XC , someone has made a mistake as it used to be that the SJ was higher than the XC which would be more normal and safer, the alternative to jumping is to ride in a double bridle.

I found that different exam boards had vastly differing criteria, hence in my initial reply stated mine was under Edexcel, I know AQA used to mention specific movements

be positive

Visit site
My PE teacher came out several times in the run up to my video and spoke with my instructor as he was allowed to mark, the video was a justification to the mark that had been awarded but as said I did mine 10 years ago. I will never forget the poor guys face as he was there the day I fell and was injured

It has changed, as I just posted the jumping has altered since I last helped someone, her teacher did ride so was able to assess properly, falling off was unfortunate I bet that gave him a fright!!

Illusion100

Visit site

Whhhaaatttt?!!! *Brainfart*

I find this to be at minimum borderline dangerous and potentially abusive.

What planet are the people on that are setting the criteria?!

flurrydor

Visit site
Has anyone done this or have a child who's done it?

Daughter is due to hand her video in next week and we are all but sorted. The remaining issue Is a half pirouette in trot. Is this even do-able? Attempts look scruffy and wobbly at best!
Several people have just said to do it in canter with an accompanying letter stating its just not the done thing!

Which Exam board is she doing OP? May be able to help.

sam_m

Visit site
It has changed, as I just posted the jumping has altered since I last helped someone, her teacher did ride so was able to assess properly, falling off was unfortunate I bet that gave him a fright!!

Yes I saw that although was only able to find the 2009 specification when I posted, now found the latest one.

He went white yes, especially as it was am ambulance collar and board job albeit injuries where limited to cracked ribs and a severely bruised back

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Am assessing for the PE department this week. Bonkers to be asking for a half pirouette, which is only mentioned in the 9-10 band. Last time I did it, the video was literally additional evidence, not the definitive evidence, which I'm sure is meant to be an assessment from the instructor?

Mooseontheloose

Visit site
I'm an assessor in the horse industry and have been asked several times to help with this. I have written to ask regarding the pirouette in trot. Sadly I don't know if Valegro is available to lend to GCSE students for the exam.
I have lent my medium dressage horse (retired) for a couple of learners to do their videos on as he's pretty push button and doesn't take offence, but he can't do a trot pirouette!
I've never had a response from the schools to any of my questions. Basically, unless the PE teacher knows anything about riding it's all about what it looks like. Make the learner wear proper riding clothes, have the horse's head between it's knees and all will be fine.
Sad.
Why they can't get either PC B test, BHS or assessors to mark the videos, to give a proper opinion on it?

MungoMadness

Visit site
Things must have changed in the ten years since I did mine! I did mine at a riding school. I showed mounting and dismounting, leading, riding on the flat, riding across uneven ground (aka galloping up a hill, think my PE teacher was more impressed at me staying on the bucking horse who hadn't seen grass since the summer) jumped a course of 2ft6-2ft9 and I think that was it. It was all on different horses, and I got full marks.

Charmel

Visit site
My Daughter is doing A level PE and has to ride a course of ten jumps at 1m10. She did explain that here new horse was not jumping at that level yet and although she can as she did will her pony. Now she is on her horse she cant demonstrate it. She patiently explained that height is not as relevant as balance and rhythm, correct approach into fence and riding away. That the horse is responsive and working in a forward way with plenty of implusion. Plus that as a rider she can see a stride and assist the horse by shortening lengthening. That the rider position is balanced and secure and helps the horse not hinders. That as a rider all correct aids are given and horse is ridden correctly.

After all this the non riding PE teacher said no the horse must jump 1m10. Even the footage of horse jumping 90m and a document by her AI is not excepted.

be positive

Visit site
My Daughter is doing A level PE and has to ride a course of ten jumps at 1m10. She did explain that here new horse was not jumping at that level yet and although she can as she did will her pony. Now she is on her horse she cant demonstrate it. She patiently explained that height is not as relevant as balance and rhythm, correct approach into fence and riding away. That the horse is responsive and working in a forward way with plenty of implusion. Plus that as a rider she can see a stride and assist the horse by shortening lengthening. That the rider position is balanced and secure and helps the horse not hinders. That as a rider all correct aids are given and horse is ridden correctly.

After all this the non riding PE teacher said no the horse must jump 1m10. Even the footage of horse jumping 90m and a document by her AI is not excepted.

This is ridiculous, to set a standard that may have no bearing on the ability of the rider is pointless, I guess if someone can get round a track of 1m10 without falling off they can pass, yet your daughter riding correctly round 90 will lose marks and may get a lower grade, if they want to set a level playing field they need to be more realistic and have knowledgeable assessors , I think I would be tempted to mark some jump wings clearly at 1m/ 1m 10 and show her jumping fences built on them!!

It is a problem when they want to open up exams to non main stream sports, something like the PC B test should be proof of ability rather than a video assessed by someone with no knowledge who is going to stick to the standard set by someone else who is unrealistic and does not appreciate that not every child will be able to have access to a horse that can jump what is a decent track by any standards.

Illusion100

Visit site

Sorry, this is an absolute joke.

To jump any course in a smooth, rhythmical, (seemingly) flawless fashion can be tricky enough for anyone. To expect it as standard for the average teenager around a 3'6" SJ course is absurd.

This IS now getting dangerous.

Who are these idiots setting the criteria? I'd like to give them a piece of my mind! Or what I can spare of it anyway.

Charmel

Visit site
My daughter has had to conform so she is having lessons on a ex CIC** event horse which are excellent but very expensive. In fairness the horse knows his job but is this really demonstrating my daughters riding ability I think NOT. She is very much a passenger on a very big strong experienced horse. She is over horsed if not in size at least in ability. We haven't recorded her yet as the instructor and horse owner won't let her jump him over a course until he thinks she is ready.....so just combinations and grids for now but costing me a small fortune. At this rate her lessons on this horse will end up costing more than the horse we bought her.

Charmel

Visit site
Sorry, this is an absolute joke.

To jump any course in a smooth, rhythmical, (seemingly) flawless fashion can be tricky enough for anyone. To expect it as standard for the average teenager around a 3'6" SJ course is absurd.

This IS now getting dangerous.

Who are these idiots setting the criteria? I'd like to give them a piece of my mind! Or what I can spare of it anyway.

No my daughter explained what was more important than height....balance rhythm etc the PE teacher just wants the height!!

darkbay19

Visit site
Me and the helpers at the rs were talking about this and all these girls are farilry dedicated to there horses on the yard at 7 most of there horses can't jump 1m10 and I feel so sorry for Them as they were all planing on picking GCSE horse riding. They live for their riding! One girls mum (pony club branch manager) wouldn't let her daughter do it for this reason- even though her daughter regularly jumps that height her mother refuses to support something so stupid as she puts it.

Charmel

Visit site
This is ridiculous, to set a standard that may have no bearing on the ability of the rider is pointless, I guess if someone can get round a track of 1m10 without falling off they can pass, yet your daughter riding correctly round 90 will lose marks and may get a lower grade, if they want to set a level playing field they need to be more realistic and have knowledgeable assessors , I think I would be tempted to mark some jump wings clearly at 1m/ 1m 10 and show her jumping fences built on them!!

It is a problem when they want to open up exams to non main stream sports, something like the PC B test should be proof of ability rather than a video assessed by someone with no knowledge who is going to stick to the standard set by someone else who is unrealistic and does not appreciate that not every child will be able to have access to a horse that can jump what is a decent track by any standards.

Yes totally unfair.... My Daughter does have a super pony that would jump these tracks but the pony is far too small for her now. Also they need a list of all the competition she has entered in the last 12 months for her Log. She has been concentrating on schooling sessions with a range of instructors and riders (Paul Tapner, Geoff Billington) on her new young and green horse and going to occasional unaffiliated dressage and SJ comps to acclimitise him not going to compete at BS and BD yet.

Charmel

Visit site
I'm on your side here! :)

Thanks....Its so difficult for her to explain to her non riding teachers....When I queried their competence in judging her riding ability the answer was they have watched a lot of videos of people jumping horses, on TV on, you tube and ones handed in...;)

Also has to do a course walk counting strides and then when riding horse must do it in number of strides she stated. Doubt Teacher could tell!

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
Thanks....Its so difficult for her to explain to her non riding teachers....When I queried their competence in judging her riding ability the answer was they have watched a lot of videos of people jumping horses, on TV on, you tube and ones handed in...;)

That makes them well qualified then, by that reasoning any of us could be assessing sport at A level yet never taken part at any level, bonkers!!

Illusion100

Visit site

Also has to do a course walk counting strides and then when riding horse must do it in number of strides she stated. Doubt Teacher could tell!

*Breathes and counts to 10* Yes, watching videos makes your judgement 'well legit'!

Is there some way we could petition to appeal that these farcical criteria be reviewed? Why are people grading students in a discipline they aren't qualified to assess? I appreciate this is of no help right now but seriously?! What next, airs above the ground?!

ChiffChaff

Visit site
Just a note in defence of PE teachers...(not that I'm suggesting anyone is having a go!) They're jumping through so many hoops and working so hard for your children. No they might not be qualified to assess a riders ability, but they are doing what the exam board tells them, and the exam board is responding to the government. You can thank the Gove legacy for this madness. They have to have a awareness of so many sports, and horseriding is hardly common and very rarely taught in schools (although I appreciate this may be different in different areas).

I'm not a PE teacher, but a history teacher. Similar story for us, but fewer horses...!😉😄

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I think I'm going to have a moan at the board. The trot pirouette is just bonkers. Seriously, what average 16 year old has a horse who would do this? I'd love to know who wrote the requirement. Comparing this to the top band for my subject, the level of difficulty is not comparable.

I'm going to talk to my Year 10 A* student who rides to ask her opinion, but I can imagine her response! Actually, better yet, I'll talk to my teacher colleague who regularly scores 67% in DTM and send her this thread!

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Having read this thread one thought springs to mind - in the grand scheme of things ie general life, career, prosperity and happiness etc. , how important is a pass or fail at GCSE anything, never mind sport (something largely irrelevant to the majority of jobs, I'd have thought)? I'm not sure a good GCSE grade is worth serious financial hardship and especially not worth risking injury for. If this sort of qualification really would be useful to her future, isn't there some other way your daughter could get to where she wants to be?