PE Rugs - Let's Play A Game!

Visit site
I have never been a fan of pe rugs. Badly made expensive crap. I took a 6ft6" 450g Buster rug off of a horse that was damp. Not wet, not soaked, just damp and put it on the scales.

Anyone fancy guessing how much this rug weighed?

Shavings

Visit site
far to much would be my answer!!

i was given a 350g combo PE rug and my gelding only worn it once, the yard staff kindly put it on him one morning as his other rug was still drying, i lifted it off him in the afternoon and was gob smacked at the weight!

have to say i have a PE fleece again was given to me and i love it, but i wouldn't own another turn out by them!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
They are impossible to handle, especially with the liners. The horse that has the trio here became quite rug shy after I struggled with the weight of it and with the attempts to straighten the liner. I tried all different ways of folding it to make it easier and more comfortable, to no avail. Now I just put the liner on seperately and he's a much happier horse. The rug doesn't have to be wet to weigh a ton. The one I'm talking about is only 100gms! It's heavier than two of any of the other heavyweight rugs put together.

So I expect it weighs around 3 stone, possibly more.

On a brighter note, I really like their saddle pads, both the merino ones and the non slip and plain cotton ones. Very good quality!

meleeka

Visit site
15kgs would be my guess, less than a bag of Feed but still far too much for a rug. I have one but would never use it in the rain and would never buy another.

Visit site
Wow you lot think a lot of pe rugs lol! The damp rug weighed in at 7.5kg - 16.lbs - more than a stone! That's way way more than any rug should weigh unless it has been dumped in a river!

I weighed one of the same but wet from being out in the rain on a horse for the day a couple of years ago that weighed in at 14.5kg - 32 lbs - just over 2st!

paddy555

Visit site
Wow you lot think a lot of pe rugs lol! The damp rug weighed in at 7.5kg - 16.lbs - more than a stone! That's way way more than any rug should weigh unless it has been dumped in a river!

I weighed one of the same but wet from being out in the rain on a horse for the day a couple of years ago that weighed in at 14.5kg - 32 lbs - just over 2st!

you must have my PE rug! oh no you haven't, I threw it away for precisely this reason after only 1 year. What a load of expensive crap it was.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I love my PE rugs strong and waterproof and very warm the horses in them are wearing 200 Grammys when the others are in heavy wieghts.

They fit big deep horses like Irish draughts very well

Lovethebeach

Visit site
I changed from Rambo to PE as Rambo didn't cover the belly of my HW cob or the Lipizzaner and apart from them getting wet, being short slipped to one side a lot. PE lovely and deep with well fitting necks and never move despite lots of rolling, also do not rub shoulders. Come up like new with seasonal wash.

I'm only 5'3 and over 60 but manage to get them on and off 16.2 even when wet.

lula

Visit site
The main reason i like PE rugs is their elasticated neck design that stops wind whistling down my horse's neck in winter. I believe they own the patent on that design feature which is why you don't find it on other T/O's.

holeymoley

Visit site
Awh man! I bought my 450gm PE last winter and my guy's worn his quite a lot this year. I do struggle to put it back on if it's wet, I just hope it's not having an effect on him long term... that's my only negative about the rug otherwise I think it's very well made and a nice fit.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I quite like my PE rug. The weatherbeeta is like a miniskirt on the Beast where the PE covers her up nicely. It is heavy but seems very robust and doesn't move around at all. And she's very snug in it (have discovered she needs to be kept warm).

It is quite heavy to lift on but I don't think the weight bothers her. She's lost 40kg of fat recently, 14kg spread over the horse doesn't seem much when you consider their weight to start with. She's clipped anyway so it doesn't matter that she can't fluff up under it.

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
The main reason i like PE rugs is their elasticated neck design that stops wind whistling down my horse's neck in winter. I believe they own the patent on that design feature which is why you don't find it on other T/O's.

I'm sure the shires rugs have this too, along with weatherbeeta :)

Steerpike

Visit site
I was given a couple of PE rugs with my new horse, I tried the light weight on her but it rubbed her withers so it's consigned to the rug rack never to be used again along with the other one.

Visit site
So people are quite happy for their horses to be carrying 1-2 stone of weight on them at all times whilst wearing these rugs? How much pressure do you think it is putting on their whither and pelvis? A hell of a lot! There are plenty of rugs out there that are deep, warm and have decent necks on them that weigh a mere fraction of what a pe rug weighs.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I cannot life them when wet and dont like the idea of how heavy they are on the horses.

I use big horse shop rugs. Light even when wet, fit my big ones fab.

Casey76

Visit site
How light can you expect a 450g rug to be?

The filling alone is 450g per sq m, and in a 6’6 rug, you are looking at over 4sq m of material, combined with the ballistic 1680 denier outer (which is heavy by itself) Plus the lining, and all of the fixtures and fittings.

I’m not saying that the weight of the damp rug is acceptable, but people (in general) have a tendency to forget that with heavy weight rugs, they will be heavy(er) due to the density and weight of the filling.

NinjaPony

Visit site
I used to have a PE rug for my 11.2hh as it was the only 450g I could find in 5ft (he is fully clipped).Safe to say it has now been replaced by a Rhino heavyweight and donated to charity-heavy, too deep, rubbed his mane and expensive to boot. The Rhino is 450g too but the difference in weight is staggering...My favourite 450g heavyweight is the rambo varilayer-just makes so much sense, the heaviest filling is concentrated around the bits of the horse that lose most heat, without the whole thing having to weigh loads, plus having a little less filling in the neck makes him less likely to lose his mane. Fab rugs, if I could, I would have a whole wardrobe of Rambo.

Annagain

Visit site
A pair of jeans can weigh a kilogram without being wet (I know this from weightwatchers. I never wear jeans to a weigh in!), which, given we should weigh 10-15% of our horses' weight, is proportionately much greater a weight for us to bear. Anybody feel their jeans are too heavy to be walking around in?

Personally I like PE rugs - yes they're heavier than other rugs but they fit my two chunky boys really well and they're still going strong after 4 or 5 years. I'm pretty sure their weight has something to do with them lasting so well. A has a habit of trashing rugs - lightweights in particular but his PE lightweight is the only one still in one piece.

eggs

Visit site
Yes, I agree PE rugs are heavy when wet but then they are quite heavy when they are dry but then there is a lot of material in them. Most of mine are in Rambos but a couple are in PE as they are the best fit on those particular horses - both big 17 hh + and deep through the neck / chest and body. I haven't found that they leak or rub.

I don't use heavyweight rugs but just use lightweight outers and then liners according to the weather.

paddy555

Visit site
How light can you expect a 450g rug to be?

The filling alone is 450g per sq m, and in a 6’6 rug, you are looking at over 4sq m of material, combined with the ballistic 1680 denier outer (which is heavy by itself) Plus the lining, and all of the fixtures and fittings.

I’m not saying that the weight of the damp rug is acceptable, but people (in general) have a tendency to forget that with heavy weight rugs, they will be heavy(er) due to the density and weight of the filling.

my 450g rambo wug is on the horse full time, permanently wet yet it is a about a third of the weight the PE was when wet. It took 2 of us to lift the PE to hang it up when it was wet. I can throw the rambo around quite easily on my own and even hang it up from the ceiling hooks unaided. So no, heavyweight rugs don't have to be that heavy when wet.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I used to use and still own a 'lightweight' but OMG. They do not contain significantly more material than my equivalent rambos/rhinos even though they are a bit deeper but they are soo much heavier! The LWs are heavier than most of my filled rugs!

ihatework

Visit site
I just continue to be amazed that people buy PE turnouts, IMO they are awful.
But they seem to be a bit like marmite I suppose.