Pea sized lump in horses ear.

mr.tigs

Visit site
On Monday, I noticed my horse was very aggitated by the flies as it was a very hot and muggy day, he suffers really badly with fly bites and has to wear a fly rug 24/7 when the flies are around. He was constantly shaking his head and kept trotting round his field, so i got him in and put him in his stable, he calmed down and stopped shaking his head. Still everyday from Monday though has he shaked his very slightly at some point, wether its in the field, stable or being ridden. This morning I thought I would check his ears to see if they may be causing him to head shake, and there was a pea sized lump in his ear. I applied some itch stop cream and have turned him out with his fly mask with his ears covered. Does anybody have any advice how I should treat the bite, or just leave it alone?

Many thanks x

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
There are really 3 main possibilities
(i) fly bite got infected
(ii) aural plaques (caused by allergic reaction to tiny blackfly bites) - if it is this he will get more over time and they will acquire a whitish flattish top. If it is these, leave well alone, cover ears on turnout and try not to bend ears as it can be painful for them (which can lead to headshyness)
(iii) a small (new) sarcoid

I would go on as you have and see if the lump disappears, just be very careful when applying the cream not to hurt horse at all.

If is disappears it will be either (i) or (ii) (aural plaques tend to recede in winter) but if it is plaques they will increase in number next summer and wont go away totally.

HTH