Pedal bone broken damaged coffin joint

lei85

Visit site
Hi I've not posted before so here goes....I recently brought an ex race horse he is perfect in every way BUT I have just found out after tracing his past trainer that he had a very serious injury which resulted in him breaking his pedal bone and damaging the coffin joint. He was on box rest for a year and apparently his last X-ray showed it had healed well and was as good as it was going to get but he wasn't sound enough to race again. Now according to the trainer he was able to do ridden work again with appropriate shoes (heartbar) on fronts but that is about all I know, I do have the vets number who treated him and will call them as soon as they are open to get full information and records sent to my vet and will also be getting an X-ray done to make sure no damage has been since as the girl before me had no idea about his injury so didn't take the right measures ie shoes and jumped him and apparently had no lameness issues. Basically I'm just hoping to hear some success stories really as I originally brought him to hunt/event, he is the most wonderful gentle giant so loving and kind hearted I'm really not that bothered about not being able to do that as long as we can still have fun together hacking ect. Sorry for the long post just hoping someone else might have had something similar. He is about to turn 9 17"2 and it happened 4 years ago.

nuttychestnut

Visit site
Can't comment on jumping, but a fellow liveries horse suffered the same injury and after a year on box rest came sound and continues all flat work with no issues.

nuttychestnut

Visit site
Personally I would treat them the same as if it was me. I broke my leg 11 years ago but it hasn't stopped me from doing anything, well apart from running without a knee support!
He will tell you if it starts to hurt :)
Good luck and fingers crossed!

lei85

Visit site
Thank you I'm going to wait till his shoes go on then start bringing him back into work and hop on, he was under weight when I got him so been filling him out a bit first, so glad I waited as thinking I could have cause him damage 😟

Casey76

Visit site
He may not need heart bars now. A heart bar can act as a cast/support while the bone is healing, but once the bone is healed it is no longer needed.

A re-x-ray might be a good idea to see if there is any sustained damage to the coffin joint (which I'm assuming is the joint between P3 and P2) - at least then you would also have a baseline to work from in case of any issues in the future :)

Street_Skill

Visit site
My ex-racer fractured both his hind pedal bones in a nasty horsebox accident two years ago. During the accident he ripped open both of his hind feet leaving a gaping hole through which his pedal bones could be seen. To cut a very long story very short, the fractured pieces of pedal bone (approx. 30% on one side and approx. 10-15% on the other) fell out through the holes, everything healed up and he's never looked back. He's now out competing at dressage, jumping, hacking out and doing everything that he did before and more. By rights, because of the severity of the injury, he shouldn't really be here but he has a wonderful temperament that saw him through and is proof that horses with this injury can and do lead a normal life post recovery. Good luck with yours!