Pedal bone fracture confusion.....

Horseowner123

Visit site
Hi all,

I am looking for some advice from those who have been in a similar position.

My horse fractured his pedal bone 12 weeks ago, quite an abnormal fracture as in it didn’t fracture at one of the wing points. He had a mri which luckily showed no ligaments or tendons were affected but the fractured had slightly gone into the coffin joint. Plan of action was 3 months box rest with heart shoe on with clips and reassess after that.

12 weeks have past, he has hated box rest, is aggressive (double barrels the walls, threatens to kick me, bite, sometimes won’t let you in stable without a fight etc) all of which isn’t the horse I first bought 6 months ago. Further x-rays have been taken and the fracture itself hasn’t worsened but there is a step going into the joint where the bone has started to heel incorrectly and arthritis has developed.
Vet has suggested a further 3 months in the box and then reassess. Prognosis isn’t as good as originally thought but he hasn’t been completely written him off.
Now I know he will require steroid injections for the rest of his life to maintain this arthritis but I just wondered whether anyone has any experience of this type of injury or management of arthritis in such a young horse (6years old) and if this type of injury will stand up to dressage, showjumping, cross county etc.
I don’t particularly want him to remain in the box any longer one for his sanity but two for my own safety, I just don’t know what is best to do.

Many thanks

Casey

NOISYGIRL2

Visit site
I think your vet would be the one to answer if he'd be up to competing at any sort of level. Unfortunately its probably a who knows type of thing until you try it. I would look into giving a calmer while he is in for both your safety otherwise he will do himself more damage. Try Lincoln do a valerian cordial only have to give a teaspoon, it may take the edge off, and then progress to stronger ones if not. Hack up liquid calm works too, I would say not to go for a magnesium based one as they only work if the horse is deficient in it.

HashRouge

Visit site
Would there be any chance of paddock rest on a flat/ not muddy area instead of box rest? I know it's not the best time of year for it! I'd honestly be concerned that your horse will do himself more harm than good if he is double barrelling the walls and needs another 3 months of rest.

ohmissbrittany

Visit site
Would there be any chance of paddock rest on a flat/ not muddy area instead of box rest? I know it's not the best time of year for it! I'd honestly be concerned that your horse will do himself more harm than good if he is double barrelling the walls and needs another 3 months of rest.

This. Mine had a hind leg fracture but would box walk and hop out of the containment paddock. A quiet field with a quiet buddy did no harm to the healing and she was much happier.

twiggy2

Visit site
Your beat to speak to your vet about long term prognosis but it may be an unanswerable question just now.
Also the box rest, speak to your vet about the possibility of managing this without box rest.
I would find a retirement livery with a group of geldings out 24 hrs a day with access to shelter and forage, I would sedate and turn out for three to six months and then review things.
I have dealt with rehashing ny horses and my personal choice would mean I would never do box rest for more than two-four weeks.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Oh my word. Poor you, poor horse. I'd say no given the latest scan - there will always be compensatory issues from that - there always is. After having two horses on boxrest with hoof (not P3 fracture but navicular bone fracture)/tendon injuries I would never do it again to any horse.. that is my vow no matter what a vet said. If they could not convalesce in a field after 12 weeks, I'd be questioning if it was worth it. If they box walk and kick it's no better than being calm in a field is it?

Having seen a friend retire her horse after a tendon injury and three years later is competing again - I wonder if boxresting tendons is worth it? Perhaps long term field rest is a better option?