Pedal bone fracture - recovery time and exercise plan?

Shrimp

Visit site
Hello all, my horse is currently on his 7th week of box rest due to a pedal bone fracture on the wing of his off hind. We went back the vets today for a check up X-ray and he said it is healing as well as it can be, nothing has displaced which is great though it looks worse on the X-ray as the crack has got A bit wider but that is quite normal? Another month or so box rest then re- xrayed. He is basically sound in walk, didn't trot as was likely he would explode upwards!
Anyway we have had some interesting times with regard to box rest, most of the time he is fine though we do have to sedate him when we have clinics at the yard as he freaks out with people walking past his stable. Vet said we can turn him out in a pen once it's a bit dryer if he is getting too crazy in the stable.
We haven't really been given a long term idea of what will happen so just want anyone else's experience with regards to recovery time and exercise plan? He is 15 this year and My aim is to get back dressaging once recovered, if he wasn't allowed to jump again it wouldn't bother me at all. I just feel guilty him being stuck in all the time!
I know it's different for every horse i just would like an idea so I can be a bit more positive. We have had a horrible year with regard to ailments, I really hope it is all worth it and we come out the other side.
Thank you

Moomin1

Visit site
I have only known personally of one horse who suffered a fractured pedal bone, and unfortunately the outcome is probably not what you want to hear. Her owner spent thousands of pounds trying to get her right, with almost 9 months box rest in the end, and she never came sound enough to be more than a gentle hack. She was 7 years old at the time and otherwise fit and healthy, but ended up in early retirement and used as a broodmare.

I hope it's a very different outcome for you, and like I say, this is the only one I have known of personally, so I am sure there are success stories out there.

cptrayes

Visit site
I have known several front foot pedal bone fractures and all were happily resolved by box and then pen rest.

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
Not the same but my old boy fractured his navicular bone. He went to be x rayed on lame front and they discovered fracture in un lame front. Never an issue and he lived til 21 yrs hunting and jumping.

Buddy'sMum

Visit site
My first pony fractured her pedal bone (left hind), vet reckoned she'd never be sound again, arthritic and need bute for life. We managed a whole 3 and a bit weeks box rest before she went completely doolally and I turned her out in a small, flat paddock. She was completely sound (and stayed that way for the rest of her days), and she was back showjumping about 6 months later.

lawa

Visit site
My last loan horse chipped her front fore pedal bone. 6 months box rest hacking in walk for 1 month then some trot. After 12 months of the injury was 100% sound and back in light work

Shrimp

Visit site
Thanks for your replies, think I've just got to be patient and not expect miracles over night. Had a brief look at the field today and if it doesn't rain too much more he might be able to go out for a little bit soon :)

Street_Skill

Visit site
Hi, my horse fractured both of his hind pedal bones last year in a horsebox accident. Probably a bit different to your horse as he also tore open both his hind hooves about 2/3 of the way round from the toe. The feet also got infected which meant daily soaking in salt solution and dressing.

Eventually both fractured pieces of bone dropped out through the holes in his hooves, and he grew a whole new hoof in less than a year.

We started off turning him out in a tiny paddock for half an hour after an initial 3 to 4 months box rest. Getting him to the field was interesting! Gradually built the time up and 6 months after the accident I was riding him again. Only in walk to start with but he's now back in full work and jumping again.

If my horse can do it don't give up on yours!

Good luck! :)

mischamoo

Visit site
My 14 year old gelding fractured his near fore pedal bone, he was on box rest for 3 months, then went onto small field turnout for about 4 weeks then back into walk ridden work over a few weeks and gradually built up from there - he recovered extremely well and have had no problems since he broke it about a year and half ago, back in full work now :) good luck , fingers crossed for you.

I think recovery can depends on the horse as you mentioned but also where the fracture is on the pedal bone, the fact it isn't displaced works massively in his favour

Edited to add that for the 3 months he was on box rest he had bar shoes on with pads to provide a level support surface for the bone to heal and I have to say it really helped with his recovery.

Visit site
my gelding did his front inner wing at Christmas - he spent 10 weeks on box rest now out in the day and stables at night fitted with a spider plate shoe - we are back next week to re scan and xray - im hoping for the best but im sure he will still need another month of rest before i can start any ridden or in hand work