Pedal Bone fractures – Experiences!!!!!??

Emshad

Visit site
Well we are just entering our 4th month since the boy was diagnosed with pedal bone fracture and I didn’t know what long a slog it was going to be! Just wondering who else had been through this and how long your box rest/rehab etc was according to the severity of the fracture etc – would just be nice to have a few successful case studies to read
smile.gif
xxx

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I managed a yard where a horse fractured his pedal bone in front of me.
I was feeding them all in the field, and he spooked, swung round, I heard a crack and he was hopping lame, blowing, sweating and his pulse rate was high.
He was a 15yr old 16.1hh Tb x, and was diagnosed with a wing fracture of a pedal bone (RF).
We box rested him for about four months, fitting eggbar shoes to stabilise his foot once his initial pain had reduced (he was on 'bute), then started walking him in hand for 10 mins (exciting times
grin.gif
), increasing gradually.
After about six months in total, he came back into light ridden work, then gradually (as he became fitter) into full work - including 2hr beach gallop rides, extensive road work etc.
He had no further problems, we just had to be careful with his foot balance as he was inclined to 'sheered heels' (sp?).
S
grin.gif

oofadoofa

www.mearecourtequestrian.co.uk
My horse is fractured his on 2nd January this year. He had about 4 months box rest and then I turned him out into a small paddock but he was still hopping lame. He's now pretty much sound at walk (the vet mistook him for one of my other horses yesterday when I walked him across the yard!) but still lame in trot and I don't expect to be getting on him before this January, if at all. Here is his xray if you're intersted
BOOL000.jpg

Emshad

Visit site
Thanks guys - Shilasdair I was so surprised actually at how common they are and how easily they are caused! Mine had a cast for 6 weeks (box rest) then 6 weeks in a pen (the size of a couple of stables) and now he can go out in a paddock for 8 weeks - eggbar shoe was put on after the cast came off not going to re-x-ray now until the end of the year unless obviously there is lameness in-between. I am hearing that most return to work pretty well afterwards. If he is sound on the next trot up i can walk him for about 8 weeks - so fingers tightley crossed!! Only prob we had was it involved the coffin joint which could spell arthritus for him xxx

Emshad

Visit site
oofadoofa we must have been typing at the same time! Thank you that is very helpful – when I first saw the vet they said he expected a year until he was back to “work” (how much we don’t know yet) Can I ask how frequently they have been x-raying?? Mines’ been about every 6 weeks but the next stint is 8 if he is still lame in the trot up (unless there is any lameness before). But if he is sound it wont be until Jan xxx

oofadoofa

www.mearecourtequestrian.co.uk
I'm afraid I'm a bit tight as horse wasn't insured and haven't had him xrayed since he first did it. The vet kind of agreed with me that we should leave him and see what happens, he said that really they couldn't tell from the look of the fracture whether they'll come right or not and it's rather a case of pot luck in some ways. How lame was your horse when he did it and how lame is he now? Mine wasn't able to put any weight on his initially and even after 4 months he was only really putting his toe to the ground.

Emshad

Visit site
The vet did say to me actually that we were probably x-raying a bit too frequently to be able to see a vast amount of difference which is why he is now being left to Jan for re-xray if sound in 8 weeks. When he first done it he was absolutely hopping we had to bring another in in front to get him in from the field. He was lame in walk for about 2months he was on bute for the first 3ish weeks but the vet said he was scarily comfortable for a horse with a fracture. He is now still slightly lame in the walk and lame in the trot but there is a big improvement since he first done it which is positive. I’m sure he will be sore today though after going out in the bigger paddock for the first time yesterday. He is still having a bit of sedalin though as he “thinks” it doesn’t hurt – did you sedate before turnout for a while?? xxx

mrussell

Visit site
Chester has fractured the tip off the wing of the bone. He did it on 28th July.

He was only 2/10th lame in trot. The vet missed it completely. It only showed up on the scintigraphy scan.

Hes been in now for 7 weeks. He goes back for an xray next week. Hes just in wide webs (fitted by Newmarket Hospital under xray guidance).

Not looking forward to the walking out !

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
QR
My patient was hopping lame too - it took me for ever to get him (three legged) back in from the field, and he wasn't weightbearing for a while.
When he improved, he seemed to go from very lame to quite sound very quickly, if you follow.
grin.gif

It might be worth giving horses with fractures mineral supplements to encourage the bone remodelling.
S
grin.gif

humblepie

Visit site
A friend's horse fractured his pb striking a gate in the field as a youngster, not sure how long it took to go right but I think he escaped from the stable at one point in his box rest and went for a gallop. Anyway he went on and evented and dressaged to decent standards so had no long lasting effect. Good luck. Most do seem to be fine and go on really well afterwards.

Emshad

Visit site
mrrussell - Good luck with the walking out! I remember my first time, it was interesting to say the least, thank goodness for sedalin in those situations! xxx

Benjamin27 - Thank you, I actually had a nightmare about mine doing that, luckily it didnt happen he did break out of the pen once however!- they can be cheeky when they want to be!! also another example of how easily this can be done, you would thnk mother nature would make the PB a bit bigger/stronger for these big horses!! xxxxx

sabel

Visit site
My horse was back at the vets today for x-rays 4 weeks after he fractured his pedal bone. His was the wing tip on the outside of his near fore. He came in from the field slightly lame in a straight line but very lame if you turned him.
Anyway, there is a definate improvement and the vet is happy with his progress.
He will remain on box rest and go back for more x-rays in another 4 weeks. (He is being shod with bar shoes with double quarter clips on the injured foot.)
Vet said today that hopefully another 2-3 months box rest and then we will be able to start walking.