Pedal Bone fractures – Experiences!!!!!??

Emshad

Visit site
Well we are just entering our 4th month since the boy was diagnosed with pedal bone fracture and I didn’t know what long a slog it was going to be! Just wondering who else had been through this and how long your box rest/rehab etc was according to the severity of the fracture etc – would just be nice to have a few successful case studies to read
smile.gif
- also in NL xxx

RobinHood

Visit site
I've known 5 or 6 horses with wing fractures and all bar one returned to full work but her case was complicated by pedalostitis (sp?) and soft tissue injuries. One horse was on box rest for 2 months and then spent 2 months in a pen made of harris fencing, and after that he was brought back into work with no problems. Another only tolerated 2 weeks of box rest before the decision was made to turn out completely for both the horse and the owner's safety. He was turned out for 4 months after which they re-xrayed and then brought him back into work. With all of them it just seemed to be a case of rest combined with good shoeing to support the foot. Good luck with your boy x

Emshad

Visit site
Thank you RobinHood! I was surprised actually at how common they are and how easily they are caused! Mine had a cast for 6 weeks (box rest) then 6 weeks in a pen (the size of a couple of stables) and now he can go out in a paddock for 8 weeks - eggbar shoe was put on after the cast came off not going to re-x-ray now until the end of the year unless obviously there is lameness in-between. I am hearing that most return to work pretty well afterwards so fingers crossed for us xx

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Bronson broke his before I'd got him - apparently in an accident in the trailer, which would make sense because he was terrified of going back in one when we got him.
He was off for 2 and a half years (I think, might have been one and a half, all going on passed on knowledge!) - equine hospital and field rest - but probably could have gone back into work a while beforehand, but his owner had another 2 horses, and exams etc. so I got him on loan. Haven't had any problems sice though, he's hunted, evented, showjumped etc.

I hope your horse makes a good recovery
smile.gif