Pedal bone rotation,suspensory & SI pain!

molly7886

Visit site
To cut long story short, my lovely boy has been 'not quite right' behind (but not lame) for a while and has now been diagnosed with ALL the above via x-rays and bone scans.
Plan of action with vet at the moment is- 6-8 weeks off work, remedial shoes for feet, shock wave therapy and Cartrophen injections for ligaments and continue physio before he's ridden again. Vet is guarded about what he may/may not be able to do in future.
It was so much to take in that I failed to ask a lot of questions (will do when I next speak to vet) but in the meantime I would appreciate anyones knowledge/experience of the above conditions & treatments, either in isolations or as a combined package. Thanks

Tamski

Visit site
My boy had the last two but not pedal bone issues. He did however have front foot heel pain!

He had surgery to denerve both suspensories three years ago which was successful and the si pain resolved itself with rest. Front feet were treated with remedial shoes and are now very good with std shoes.

\he has now just recovered from arthritic changes to both hocks ( a secondary issue to the suspensory denerve) and is currently sound! He's got wedges on his back feet to take some pressure of his hocks and is moving so well- better than he did 6 years ago so I'm hopeful he'll stay sound and cope with work.

It's not an easy journey but you can get there. You just have to be honest with yourself about what you want to achieve and when. My chap has had the benefit of a couple of quiet years as I had my children and I don't "need" to compete.

Good luck! It's never an easy journey but i've got everything crossed for you

molly7886

Visit site
Thanks Tamski, I don't 'need' to compete but I confess I have found it a bit disappointing that after several years trying to get my competition nerve back (& letting my friend ride my horse in compsin the meantime) I was finally feeling like I could go back out and jump 'in public', so the timing is frustrating. However my priority is having a pain free horse that is happy to doing as much as he is as sound to do. I know I have to be patient and I have the utmost faith in my vet/farrier so I guess time will tell and I'll have to carry on getting my competition 'fix' by stewarding/fence judging etc!!

loopylucifer

Visit site
Are you talking lami rotation or like broken back pasten axis rotation?
Mine had broken back axis by 4 degrees (apparently thats quite a bit) had already damaged the SDDFT and DDFT in that leg (RH) a year beforehand. then 8 months later diagnosied with arthiritis if spine and now a year later Bilateral proximal suspensory desmisits unfortunatly cant have op due to previous history and no insurance so having shockwave prob remideal shoeing and poss cartrophen. Not on box rest as wouldn't b good for her other problems. Prognosis is quite poor but feel I have to try