Pedal bone rotation - what is the prognosis?

pottamus

Visit site
I am so very sorry to hear that your baby did not make it...you did your very best and your wonderful horse is now at peace in horsie heaven.

DDL

Visit site
So sorry to hear you lost your mare but at least she is at peace now and you did your best for her until the end. My mare was one of the few lucky ones as suffered from severe laminitis (13 degree rotation and you could see the bulge in the sole) 2 years ago but with the help of a fantastic vet and farrier she made a full recovery and is now part stabled all year round with turnout with a muzzle during the summer. Trouble is you are never trully free from worry and I know that if the dreaded laminitis returns next time I will have to call it a day as couldnt put her through the pain and months of box rest again. Laminitis is one of the worst conditions a horse can suffer from and involves a great deal of stress and worry for owners, I can only hope that one day the disease can be wiped out or at least treatments be improved to help all horses survive to live a normal life which doesnt involve being locked up in a box most of their living hours.

Cadburys_addict

Visit site
I had been reading your post and the replies and just seen your last post - I am so very sorry to hear that she didnt make it.....a big hug goes out to you.....

megan.caroll

New User
Visit site
Hi, I have a 16hh mare who has been suffering with laminitis for about 12 weeks now, she was getting better until about two weeks ago when she deteriated very quickly and we could see the pedal bone buldging through the bottom of her sole (although not penetrated). The vet came straight out and xray'd which confirmed severe rotation (only in back two feet) front feet have not been affected at all. She has been fitted with imprints which have eased her discomfort. I am just wondering what the chances of a recovery are? Is she likely to become sound in the future? Will she be able to go out and graze? The vet said at the time it was touch and go, she literally has 1mm of sole holding the pedal bone in. If anyone has experienced this i would be grateful for some advice.
Thanks

Hi, 11 months ago my 5 year old mare fell ill and got laminitis in her back feet through a thorn that infected her foot. She spent many months on box rest and in that time her whole hoof started to fall away and a new one grew. After getting her X Rayd we knew her pedal bones had rotaed in her back feet and she was on box rest till the hoof began to regain strength she began to be put out in the field again. Now she is out in the field permenantly and has started ridden work again, I know it is hard to face at the time but persevere with it because it the prognosis can be positive. Obviously judge it on how much pain your horse is in and make sure to drain and puss that may have caused the pedal bone rotation. Hope your horse makes a full recovery like mine good luck in the future with them.