Pedal Osteitis

Morrigan_Lady

www.teamterrellshowjumping.co.uk
Has anyone else has a horse with this condition?

My horse was diagnosed just over two years ago and we've managed to keep it under control for a good while, but now we
cant keep him sound :0(

Hes back off to the vets tomorrow and Im felling very nervous. I had to retire him completely a couple of months ago and hes got bar shoes on with gel filler.

Has anyone else tried anything else with success?

Thanks

SusieT

Visit site
Do you mind me asking what was the process for diagnosing and treating him? I have one I beleive may have similar

Reacher

Visit site
Do you mind me asking what was the process for diagnosing and treating him? I have one I beleive may have similar

Mine was diagnosed by x ray.

She was unilaterally lame in front, she was rising 9 at the time. She was rested for 3 months then pronounced sound and ready for light hacking, however I retired her at that point for other reasons. Sorry not much help OP.

Good luck at the vets OP

Last edited:

TigerTail

Visit site
Mine was diagnosed about 2 months ago. I have been keeping her sound in boots - didn't want to go the shoeing route as it makes no sense to me - shoes produce more concussion and limit blood supply - all bad when you have an inflammation process going on.

Touching wood* she's been sound ever since I started booting her for riding and during the day.

Leg_end

Visit site
Yes, my horse was diagnosed with this (and navicular) almost two years ago. I took him barefoot, he was sound after 8 weeks and has been sound ever since. I re x-rayed 9 months after taking him barefoot and the bone had already started to come back. I will be re-doing them again next year.