Pedigree Passport without Covering Certificate

Rollin

Visit site
Is it possible/legal to proivde a horse with a pedigree passport on the basis that with DNA no covering certificate is needed?

I am told there is legislation in place which states a covering certificate must be provided.

Dry Rot

Visit site
Is it possible/legal to proivde a horse with a pedigree passport on the basis that with DNA no covering certificate is needed?

I am told there is legislation in place which states a covering certificate must be provided.

Surely, that would depend on the registering society?

The passports are issued by the breed society for the ponies I have here and what they accept (re-pedigrees) is up to them.

Could you ask the secretary?

Rollin

Visit site
Just interested to know what happens in practice. In France it is quite simple, stallions must have covering books, on-line, coverings are notified to National Stud on-line by the end of October.

Covering certificates are printed off on line.

We still have to have DNA for our stallions but don't think we could get a passport on that basis alone.

ColourFan

Visit site
I would definitely question this! There is also the situation to be considered ... Perhaps the mare owner failed to pay the stud fee and therefore did not get a cover certificate! So then the mare owner goes behind the back of the stallion owner and approaches the unsuspecting Society to get DNA done and thus full pedigreed papers/passport. One can only hope that the Society approached has enough sense to investigate such a covering and also to question the stallion owner with respect to the situation before issuing papers/passport.

koeffee

Visit site
I agree check if stallion is graded first, but i know someone this year who assumed a stallion was graded and was given a printed letter to give to ssh, said stallion wasnt graded but paperwork is given.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I would definitely question this! There is also the situation to be considered ... Perhaps the mare owner failed to pay the stud fee and therefore did not get a cover certificate! So then the mare owner goes behind the back of the stallion owner and approaches the unsuspecting Society to get DNA done and thus full pedigreed papers/passport. One can only hope that the Society approached has enough sense to investigate such a covering and also to question the stallion owner with respect to the situation before issuing papers/passport.

Definitely agree with this. It makes a mockery of having CCs in the first place if they aren't abided with. The societies must investigate with the stallion owner concerned I think; I certainly wouldn't take anything on trust and I wouldn't want to use a PIO that allows this to happen, I certainly wouldn't trust any of their passports in the future either.

Rollin

Visit site
Thanks for your replies. I did some hunting through CBHS minutes and it does say that both must be supplied before a passport is issued for a pure bred CB.

I have frozen semen for two CB stallions and have written agreements it can be used for more than one mare, if this were not the case it is possible to get two for the price of one - if DNA is the only test.

In France no mare can be accepted at stud who is not registered on the NED (SIRE) so if a mare who has never been registered is imported in foal, I know it will be very difficult to obtain a covering certificate from the stud in France.

As far as payment of stallion owners is concerned, again the system here is so tight, the National Stud will not issue passports if the covering fee has not been paid. Now that France has been forced to permit UK PIO's to issue passports for French bred foals this is difficult to police.

We have obtained one CB passport in the UK this year but made sure that the National Stud were informed for registration on SIRE.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
As far as payment of stallion owners is concerned, again the system here is so tight, the National Stud will not issue passports if the covering fee has not been paid. Now that France has been forced to permit UK PIO's to issue passports for French bred foals this is difficult to police.

If only that would happen here but for once I'm going to say sadly that we are too divided, none of the breed societies would agree to a 'takeover' by a central database.