pee wee bits

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Yes I use one currently on an IDx and used one previously on a Clydie. I bought the first one after the Clydie, who I was riding in a French link snaffle, took off with me (at a trot but I could not stop her) in fright at some young colts playing in a field alongside the road. I had to point her at a wall across the T-junction and decided that that mustn't happen again. I found the PeeWee bit gave me much more control over her speed and direction.
The ID also has a tendency to turn away from anything which makes her nervous and the PeeWee allows me to stop that. I lent my bit to an eventing friend who used it to train her youngster to turn, as he really tried to ignore her aids. She now rides him in a dressage legal bit.
Another advantage of the PeeWee is that it fits up to 7", although actually I think it might be a bit snug. My Clydie needed a 6.5" bit and I had great trouble finding suitable ones. Many larger horses have very fleshy mouths and they seem to prefer the thinner mouthpiece. Some people have said that they are harsh bits but in the right hands, like any other bit, they are fine.
I would certainly recommend the PeeWee and am considering trying it on the Westphalian who has come with a Dutch gag.

nixxyz

Visit site
thanks so much, just what i wanted to hear lol. she is currently ridden in a french link which is fine for everyday use but she gets distracted easily and then gets strong and doesnt listen, shes got quite a small mouth with a big tounge and doesnt like bit chunky bits, obviously lol so i think i will give it a try, see how she goes

Ali27

Visit site
I bought one for my daughter's mare who chomps on the bit as thought it might solve the problem but it didn't so am going to put it on e-bay if you are interested!

Louby

Visit site
Didnt work for me either Im afraid. I didnt buy it for brakes, more to try and sort out my horses tongue habit as I thought the thin bit would give him more room but I found he evaded it badly and brought his head really high which isnt like him.
It is IMO an expensive very thin mullen mouth snaffle.
Saying that, some people find they work really well.

natalia

Visit site
I had a dutch jumping mare with a very small mouth who was also quite hot to ride. She loved the pee wee and this was the only bit I could ever ride her in in the ring, she went like a different horse!

Mimi2610

Visit site
I think this is a great bit and use it on different horses to hunt, sj, some flatwork and hacking out. It has different settings depending what you want from it. One of mine goes xc in a cheltenham gag and grackle but the peewee seems to stop her too and I have another horse that goes a dream in the school with it on. Def recommend.

king_of_diamonds

www.wordpress.com
I've use one before on a cob who never liked to keep breaks easy in other bits. We tried a load of them on him and the pee wee bit was one of them. He never bolted or anything of the sort but just walked through most bits. The pee wee was a waste in this scenario I'm afraid. No breaks whatsoever, he'd just plough through it.

Now when I read about them I did read very mixed reviews. Some people low them while others have no success whatsoever. I will say however, this is a horse that was ridden in a Pelham, the owner wanted to try a softer bit for him. Just so happened that wasn't for him.