Peeing on tummy fur

BBP

Visit site
My beautiful little collie dog (nearly 11 months old so not sure I can call him a pup anymore!) is trying to master the art of sideways peeing. Often this is done with a little too much enthusiasm and he will overbalance himself and create a little pee fountain over his front legs and tummy fur. He also has a beautiful long furry tum and feathery legs, so even when he gets it right he seems to get pee on himself. Does anyone have any top tips on how to maintain a nice white unstinky undercarriage without constant bathing? Happy to do some strategic trimming but would rather not engage the services of a groomer for reasons of cost and practicality. Thanks!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I wish I knew. Little Hector pees on his own front foot. He is quite old now, but he has done it for all the 4 years that we have had him.

I think we just got used to the smell! His sofas have fleeces on them that get washed frequently. His jackets get washed frequently. Once a month he is dunked in the bath. If it is bad his paws get washed in a little bowel.

meggymoo

Visit site
I wish I knew. Little Hector pees on his own front foot. He is quite old now, but he has done it for all the 4 years that we have had him.

I think we just got used to the smell! His sofas have fleeces on them that get washed frequently. His jackets get washed frequently. Once a month he is dunked in the bath. If it is bad his paws get washed in a little bowel.

Thank you for your comment Red-1, you have just put a smile on my face when all else has failed over the last few days! The image your last sentence conjured of you trying to stick your dog's paw up its own bottom has me chuckling. Apart from which, would it make the smell any better? (Please don't take offence, I don't normally bring attention to spelling, pots, kettles and all that, and 'predictive' does have a lot to answer for!)

skinnydipper

Visit site
" even when he gets it right he seems to get pee on himself"

Have you checked his penile anatomy to see if the urethral orifice is opening on the right side of his penis? It may be directing urine towards his abdomen rather than downwards. Some little boys are born with this condition, it is called hypospadias and is corrected by surgery, though I am not sure if that would be necessary for a dog. It could be embarrassing at the urinal for a bloke though o_O

I had a Rough Collie with a very heavy coat , he did not get urine on his coat so I do not think the amount of fur is the problem.

Last edited:

BBP

Visit site
" even when he gets it right he seems to get pee on himself"

Have you checked his penile anatomy to see if the urethral orifice is opening on the right side of his penis? It may be directing urine towards his abdomen rather than downwards. Some little boys are born with this condition, it is called hypospadias and is corrected by surgery, though I am not sure if that would be necessary for a dog. It could be embarrassing at the urinal for a bloke though o_O

I had a Rough Collie with a very heavy coat , he did not get urine on his coat so I do not think the amount of fur is the problem.
I haven’t but thanks for the suggestion. I think mostly he is a clumsy pup who doesn’t wait til his position is right and who doesn’t always finish his wee before he finds something more fun to do and moves off. It was never a problem til he started experimenting with this leg cocking business which apparently is more complicated than it looks!

Clodagh

Visit site
Smut the spaniel has a constantly wet and skanky fanny and hind legs as she wees on the run. She gets a good sloosh with a small container of water and my hand every day. :)

teddypops

Visit site
My collie who is nearly 13 does this ( always has done), he has a very hairy underside, so he just gets a little haircut in the relevant area and it solves the problem.

deb_l222

Visit site
Nothing useful to suggest other than maybe thinning the hair a bit then there's less of it to get wet.

Willow (when she first came) was a panic wee wee-er. If you went near her head or collar she would wet herself and she has very smelly wee!! She's getting better now, so not requiring as many baths. Her bum was very yellow.

Rufus wees on Button's head a lot, the dirty swine. She will be sniffing, he thinks 'this looks good'. Wanders over, has a sniff and wees but often on her head. Makes you wonder why you have them doesn't it?

twiggy2

Visit site
The 2 working collies here both pee on their front legs, it's just how they are put together, then the come and jump up to say hi!
The springer dog has a tendency to pee on the bitches bums when they squat for a pee.
The dogs pee in each other when sniffing and peeing.
Sometimes it's just a general pee fest!
No-one noticeably smells though, the working songs are kennels outside though.

Fools Motto

Visit site
Bitches tinkle, Dogs sprinkle.
Or as twiggy says, it ends up a pee-fest!!
I have to trim the lady areas on our spaniel, sometimes if I don't it looks a bit yellow. I know when it's bad as on opening of the kitchen door in the morning, there is 'that aroma'... (and yes, she is banished to the kitchen for that reason!)

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I have a large hound and a small terrier, and when the hound finds somewhere good to pee the terrier often decides to place himself underneath (they're like a nest of tables) and share the spot - and gets a shower in the process :(