Peeling frog, could it be making him footsore?

Oaksflight

Visit site
Hal's frog has started peeling off, quite a lot of it though, however it is still fully attached at bottom, do you reckon this could be making him footsore and therefore slightly lame? I'm determined to find a small reason to explain it!

Fairynuff

Visit site
Sorry, dont think so! Cut the loose bit off to lessen the risk of it catching and tearing. Sorry, not what you wanted to hear is it! mairi.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
A large portion of my mares frog came away this mornig. Has it been raining were you are, coz I think this is a normal reaction afetr the dry weather we have had. It shouldn't make him footsore.

_jetset_

Visit site
I think when they get wet they tend to do this... that's what happens with my mare anyway! Or am I a totally horrible mummy
confused.gif

Oaksflight

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
A large portion of my mares frog came away this mornig. Has it been raining were you are, coz I think this is a normal reaction afetr the dry weather we have had. It shouldn't make him footsore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah we have had a lot of rain, knew it was normal for it to happen, but was just hoping as it would make sense since he's only lame on the rein in which the lame leg (and hoof with peeling frog is on) is on the inside, and therefore he's putting more weight on it. He's improving now though.

Oaksflight

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think when they get wet they tend to do this... that's what happens with my mare anyway! Or am I a totally horrible mummy
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No, your not! It is normal, just thought it could possibly be what's making him lame. Or hoped rather.

Oaksflight

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, dont think so! Cut the loose bit off to lessen the risk of it catching and tearing. Sorry, not what you wanted to hear is it! mairi.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not really! But he seems to be improving by the day with a bit of gentle exercise!
grin.gif
Thanks x

allijudd

Visit site
in all honesty i would call out the farrier...i have never touched frogs until today thinking that they had very important job etc etc (they do!) but matt trimmed and neatened up the frogs so it would be easier for us too keep clean and thrush free......

Farrieress

Visit site
the frog is just trying to exfoliate itsself by the sound of it, it will not cause any problems and your farrier will be able to tidy it up next time he is shod

Mellymoo1

Visit site
Phew!! So glad I saw this thread. My gelding shed a massive amount of frog yesterday on his off fore, I was panicking a little, even though he didnt appear to be foot sore or lame. I've bought some "fresh frog" oil to keep it all clean so hopefully he wont lose any more of his foot!

Farrieress

Visit site
please dont apply oil based products on your horses feet, water is the best way to keep the foot moisturised as it is easily absorbed and oil prevents the foot from regulating the moisture content, waterbased products are ok and hoof disenfectants are ok but please not oil x

Theresa_F

Visit site
Cairo's frogs are peeling away in huge chunks - I put this down to him having shoes on again and the wet weather. I just pull off or trim away the loose stuff and give them a quick spray with stockholm tar to keep them in nice condition.

I find in the dry weather and without shoes he has a lot more frog than normal as it goes like concrete and is impossible to trim.

Unless they smell horrible or are bleeding, I wouldn't worry much.

hotheaded

Visit site
Yes peeling frogs can make a horse lame. But it depends on the extent of the peeling. Generally it won't cause too much trouble but if nasty enough it will be sore.

Oaksflight

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yes peeling frogs can make a horse lame. But it depends on the extent of the peeling. Generally it won't cause too much trouble but if nasty enough it will be sore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, change in what everyone else has said! The vet is coming out tomorrow so I'll show her. It is quite a thick bit, and it's all coming off as one, peeling downwards towards the thinner end of the V. All has come off except about 1/4.

Rupert2006

Visit site
My ned shed all four of his frogs recently - I was a little alarmed at the time as wasn't sure if it was a normal occurrence - he was a little lame for a day and then was fine. I peeled one of the off and the other three came off by themselves - I did clean his feet and sprayed with healthy frog spray as they smelt a bit thrushy at the time which seemed to help the whole process along.

meandmyself

Visit site
It could just be that it feels strange when he puts that foot down- a bit like when you cut your nails after having them long for a while.