PEGASUS CROSSINGS IN UK FOR HORSE RIDERS

SaharaS

Visit site
As there are so very few safe places for horses to cross,particularlybas these are apparently a thingIf we can get enough signatures, surely they would have to at least consider this or similar for more areas? As funny as it sounds I am actually being serious. There have been way too many injuries and deaths and as horse road safety is coming up so often and people are becoming aware, surely these would be a good thing and the perfect time to do it? If they are splashing out ridiculous amounts on smart (or not so smart)motorways, what's an extra bit of paint and a few extra road signs(or underpasses)

Last edited:

Kaylum

Visit site
Yes there is one in Leeds near Colton. It was one of the first ones to be made. It's been there well over 20 years. That's over a dual carriageway not four lanes either side though.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
There’s one over a dual- carriage way on the A259 at Ferring, West Sussex. Been there at least 20 years. I used to use it to cross over to go down to the beach. The area around it though has got extremely built up since it was put in and I wouldn’t personally ride it anymore.

eta you have to stop in the middle and press another button to cross the second half

Last edited:

madamebonnie

Visit site
There's one at a Duel carriage way junction at A6144/Carrington Spur, south Manchester. Works well and is well used. I've only used it a handful of times but has great priority as you come out of a wooden section right onto a busy junction that can startle the horses a bit.

And then futher on theres a bridleway bridge that goes over all TEN lanes of the M60. That gave me the shivers but normally daft horse didnt bat an eye lid!

Merrymoles

Visit site
Yes there is one in Leeds near Colton. It was one of the first ones to be made. It's been there well over 20 years. That's over a dual carriageway not four lanes either side though.

This is the only one I know of too, but I don't know how well used it is - have never seen a horse there.

Skib

sites.google.com
We fought a long time to get the one over the A3 at Robin Hood Gate - linking Richmond Park to Wimbledon comon where there is a central island so the crossing operates in two stages. From casual observation, it is heavilly used by cyclists people with push chairs and less by riders. There is a further Pegasus linking Richmond Park to Ham. But not dual carriageway.
If you are campaiging for a crossing we had meaningful support from wheelchair athletes.

scruffyponies

Visit site
Our local dual carriageway had a bridleway which crossed it. Of course it was very dangerous. I stopped using it when I had young children riding out with me, and a couple of years later they resolved the issue by putting a new barrier straight across the middle, so if you wanted to use that bridleway now you'd have to jump the barrier. :(

TRECtastic

Visit site
https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/new...mph-speed-limit-thanks-riders-campaign-663477

We campaigned for years to get this one installed.

Only over a normal road though.

We had to source proof that there had been a lot of accidents along that road, from local police and fire brigade and that the crossing was needed.

Next to the pegasus crossing is a normal crossing for pedestrians and cyclists, they were all built at the same time, and it helped that local cycle clubs and ramblers also campaigned with us

Kaylum

Visit site
This is the only one I know of too, but I don't know how well used it is - have never seen a horse there.

We used it when we had our horses up in Colton as the farrier was in Barrowby and people at the other side near Garforth rode through Barrowby Woods to get to Temple Newsam which is why it was there.

I am not up that way any more so not sure if it is used. I doubt many people know about it.

Desert_rider

Visit site
There is one on the A6097, near East Bridgford in Nottinghamshire. Not a dual carriageway, but very busy A road. I am not sure how well used it is, slightly out of my hacking range and never seen anyone using it whilst driving past which was twice a day most days until recently.

timefort

Visit site
The north orbital by Bricket Wood, Herts, has a pegasus crossing which does 2 lanes of traffic one way, and 3 the other. I've never seen it be used though, nor would I be brave enough to stand in the middle island, even on my superstar traffic proof pony.

GREYSMEADOW

Visit site
The north orbital by Bricket Wood, Herts, has a pegasus crossing which does 2 lanes of traffic one way, and 3 the other. I've never seen it be used though, nor would I be brave enough to stand in the middle island, even on my superstar traffic proof pony.

I am just finding this Pegasus on googlemaps - I am trying to locate where it is exactly. I assume it is on the A405 North Orbital Road and is adjacent to the Uplands Road/Old Watford Road in Bricket Wood. Can you confirm this please - thanks.

sywell

Visit site
PEGASUS CROSSINGS IN UK FOR HORSE RIDERS
Does anyone know of any Pegasus Crossings in the UK for horses riders which have been installed within 4 lanes of traffic please.
The A43 at Towcester. The first one on a dual carriageway .We persuaded them to have the button set baCK FROM THE ROAD AND THE ACCESS WAS DOWN A SLOPE SO WE HAD IT AT AN ANGLE SO THE HORSES COULS SEE THE approaching traffic The refuge in the center had boarding with gaps so the horses could see the traffic on the otherside. This was going to be an at grade bridleway wa crossing so we told the Police we would be crossing the road with horses at 5o/c on a Friday night and the television company would be there. The Highways agency agreed to a Pegasus and were then very helpful.

timefort

Visit site

chaps89

Visit site
There's one on the a3/m25 roundabout (j10 of the m25) can't say I've ever seen it be used the. There's also bridges over the m25 that can be used and it feels like quite a scary junction to cross.