Pelham?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I agree with the principle, but many many people pick up horses in the middle of their lives and education so I do still think what Aus says holds true. If we all had horses from unbroken youngsters and were equipped with the skills to pull off perfect early training then I can imagine fewer horses would be "quirky" hacks but in the real world it's quite different. Add in the personality/tendencies of individual horses that underly all the training and it's a more complex issue again.

Kira's just an example of one, there are zillions of others - i could devote the rest of my life to educating her about hacking and still not be able to ride her off the yard in a snaffle bridle ;) fortunately she is able to improve with training in other aspects of her life. This was a hard one for me to accept, because having an eventing background, security in hacking was one of my top priorities before, but I have come to understand that some horses just always will be a bit odd about it (spooky/nappy/over keen... many varieties of "odd" :p )

be positive

Visit site
There is also the increasing difficulty in being able to go out hacking in relative safety, in an ideal world we would all have access to off road hacking, sensible company and plenty of spare daylight hours, in reality many people are limited to what they can do with their youngsters so unfortunately most do spend more time in an arena than desired, we work with what facilities we have and for many hacking is not high on the priority list.

Auslander

Visit site
I agree with the principle, but many many people pick up horses in the middle of their lives and education so I do still think what Aus says holds true. If we all had horses from unbroken youngsters and were equipped with the skills to pull off perfect early training then I can imagine fewer horses would be "quirky" hacks but in the real world it's quite different. Add in the personality/tendencies of individual horses that underly all the training and it's a more complex issue again.

Kira's just an example of one, there are zillions of others - i could devote the rest of my life to educating her about hacking and still not be able to ride her off the yard in a snaffle bridle ;) fortunately she is able to improve with training in other aspects of her life. This was a hard one for me to accept, because having an eventing background, security in hacking was one of my top priorities before, but I have come to understand that some horses just always will be a bit odd about it (spooky/nappy/over keen... many varieties of "odd" :p )

Agree! Alf is actually a very good, bombproof hack 98% of the time! He's the only horse that I would hack down a particular local road, which is very long and dead straight, so attracts all the idiots. He is also the only horse that I will get straight off if he starts to have a meltdown, as I know full well that it will end in tears if I try and sit it out. He's a bit of a prat, but he's my prat, and I wouldn't change a thing!

Joyous70

Visit site
I have just started using a pelham on my girl, after being advised by my instructor to do so. The result so far has been incredible, she is ok to school in a snaffle but uses her shoulders to power through and against you which results in lots of leg yielding, shoulder in and counter bend in order to get her listening, she can take an age to soften in her jaw, hence the advice to try the pelham, she seems to respect the curb and is much softer in her jaw, i have been told to only use it for a couple of schooling sessions and then revert back to my happy tongue or other snaffle, and alternate, however, i am reluctant to do so as she seems to happy in it. I need to try her in it for jumping as she is completely out of control no brakes or steering, we did jump in a NS Universal tranz angled lozenge, but she does throw her head up in that and goes against my hand.

If your horse curls down or in, maybe the NS universal would help to lift when she locks her neck?

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I think I might have found a bit that works. It's the highly complicated, expensive and esoteric french link snaffle.

Still to be thoroughly tested but I hacked her out in this evening and had effective brakes the whole time, whether in walk, trot or canter. Fingers crossed that's all it takes!

That sounds interesting. Would you post more information please.

Hoping everyone realised this was tongue in cheek.
My horse is also happy in French link but I would be interested anyone’s views on whether one one of the NS mouthpieces with universal cheeks might be best for when she leans down but not in while ignoring any aids when in an exciting situation.

Last edited:

Joyous70

Visit site
Hoping everyone realised this was tongue in cheek.
My horse is also happy in French link but I would be interested anyone’s views on whether one one of the NS mouthpieces with universal cheeks might be best for when she leans down but not in while ignoring any aids when in an exciting situation.

Meredith, i think the NS universal might help you, please see below brief explanation, hope this helps :)

The Action of the Universal

Any extension above the mouthpiece will cause poll pressure (head lowering), any extension below the mouthpiece will give leverage (head raising). When the two are combined this is generally referred to as a gag action. The Universal is one of my personal favourites. The gag action is not excessive and even strong horses generally appreciate this and respond as opposed to fighting it.

The cheeks are always attached to the small offset ring at the top - the top ring is angled very cleverly in order to avoid excessive cheek pressure.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Meredith, i think the NS universal might help you, please see below brief explanation, hope this helps :)

The Action of the Universal

Any extension above the mouthpiece will cause poll pressure (head lowering), any extension below the mouthpiece will give leverage (head raising). When the two are combined this is generally referred to as a gag action. The Universal is one of my personal favourites. The gag action is not excessive and even strong horses generally appreciate this and respond as opposed to fighting it.

The cheeks are always attached to the small offset ring at the top - the top ring is angled very cleverly in order to avoid excessive cheek pressure.

Thank you.
Any suggestions for which mouthpiece gratefully received.

whizzer

Visit site
I had a TB who was only safe to hack in a Pelham,tried loads of different things but a Pelham suited him best & only with 2 reins plus grackle noseband (he hated roundings). He would hack on a loose rein in it whereas hacking in a snaffle was a constant battle. He was schooled to elementary level in a snaffle in a ménage. He was too strong to jump in a snaffle but wouldn’t jump in the Pelham so I ended up with 3 bridles😂! My current horse who does everything in a snaffle is a refreshing change!