Pemphigus coronitis

Tegan

Visit site
Hi

Does anyone have a horse with Pemphigus coronitis. How do you manage the condition?

My horse is currently having tests but it looks like this is what we are dealing with. I have read Dr Knottenbelts article. Does anyone have any links to other articles?

Thanks
Tegan

mjcssjw2

Visit site
only heard of this disease the other week, I too read the article, don't think the outlook is to rosy, someone replied to a thread pm I put up saying for me to have a look at it as my horse had an odd condition, maybe the same person will reply to you, hope your outcome is good.

HVG

Visit site
Pemphigus is an immune mediated dermatitis. You can attempt management with steroids and immune modulating drugs. If a horse responds well to treatment then short term prognosis is good, but sadly long term prognosis would be quite low.

Best of luck with it all x x

Archiepoo

Visit site
have a look on FB for Equine Pemphigus Coronitis its a help group theyve got loads of advice
ive got a friend whos horse has this but its very hard to diagnose as the biopsies have to be taken when the sores just start so she had loads of inconclusive results ,its not an easy disease to manage and the coronitis version is the worst.

Last edited:

Tegan

Visit site
Thanks everyone

I've had a look on the facebook page and ordered a back issue of Horse and Hound which has an article on this condition.

He doesn't have any sores at the moment so we can't have a biopsie taken yet but we are having a scraping taken to test for fungal infection next week.

Tegan