Penicuik Rideout 2013 *PICS*

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Today was Penecuik Hunter and Lass Rideout and we got a complete scorcher :D

Stella was her brill, shes really maturing well, no shenanigans despite the odd person who decided a red ribboned horse was an ideal bum to let you horse sniff :rolleyes: Sandy was a complete star after he realised the script and the initial brakes failures :D Such a clever big boy :D I will need to clip her out shortly as she was far too warm in this glorious weather and was a very itchy wee horse, half her plaits were rubbed out before we even set off :rolleyes:

Pics

More in the next post :D

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Now we came to a nice wee river and I though hell there is a step down im gonna have issues here getting her into this :eek: But no straight in had a drink and a paw then the front knees buckled :eek::eek::eek: So she got the head pulled up and made to wade through a bit then we got a soaking from another horse pawing, I wasnt complaining too much after the initial squeal of cold water shock :D

Enjoy as I did :D

Shutterbug

Visit site
Looks like you had a great time and what a fab day you had weather wise. Well done wee Stella for being a good baby :D

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Stunning scenery!

sorry to sound stupid but what exactly is a ride out? is it like a sponsored ride and why are some people wearing sashes?

Its the riding of the marches for border towns in scotland :) Historic traditions that the lads of the town went out to check the border stones hadnt been violated etc :)

The people in the sashes are the Lads and Lass' of past and present years, also call principles, each town has its own name for its lads and lass' like Whipman, Lord Cornet etc :)

They are the standard bearers in their towns and get their own races and responsibilities during the rides :)

JenTaz

Visit site
Got some cracking photo's Penicuik is one of the rides I have never done, no idea why as after Musselburgh, Currie and Edinburgh its my most local! Fab weather for it also! Are you doing any more this season?

chotty

Visit site
Aw I came to see everyone coming back for the parade! Had to walk the legnth of the high street accompanying a friend who was leading her wee girl as horse was pulling like a train haha. Was so jealous I hadn't done the ride out, haven't done one for years, maybe next year if I'm brave enough! Such a lovely day for it too! I'm burnt to a crisp! X

Charley657

Visit site
Great pics, it really was a lovely day here for it. I've always loved watching the lad and lasses each year although never been to Penicuiks one. :confused:

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
Great pics :D

I WILL do the ride outs again when I get a sturdier horse to take! They are awesome. Honestly we are lucky to still have such festivals that allow horses to be such a big part, and that the general public take interest in. Great sense of community in common ride season, and although they can be a bit notorious, they are often great fun.

Don't think any where else in Britain has anything like it, 20+ towns who each have one or two massive ride outs.

Snoozinsusan

Visit site
Love the photos! I lived in Penicuik for several years but didn't have a sane enough horse to take to any ridings! I know there's a great community spirit during the riding of the marches.
Photos brought back memories (I left Penicuik in 1984).

bgb

Visit site
It was a lovely day yesterday - you look like you had a ball :) I still think it is crazy that they are going ahead with loads of strangles in the surrounding areas though...

Polos

Visit site
Its the riding of the marches for border towns in scotland :) Historic traditions that the lads of the town went out to check the border stones hadnt been violated etc :)

The people in the sashes are the Lads and Lass' of past and present years, also call principles, each town has its own name for its lads and lass' like Whipman, Lord Cornet etc :)

They are the standard bearers in their towns and get their own races and responsibilities during the rides :)

oh ok thanks :) I'd been wondering what they where for a while!

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Got some cracking photo's Penicuik is one of the rides I have never done, no idea why as after Musselburgh, Currie and Edinburgh its my most local! Fab weather for it also! Are you doing any more this season?

I have about ten planned, in and around other activities :D my next two are Lanark Tuesday and Thursday as those are my towns rides :)

Some really nice photos, looks like a great day out, lovely scenery too. :)

Was a fabulous day I had the sunscreen on!!! i got toasted last year and was rather crispy for a week or so :eek:

Coooooooows!!

What a beautiful ride - so envious!

Thanks, those cows were watching us but very well behaved, the babbies were jumping about it was soo cute :D

Beautiful views. :D

I love the views on this ride :D One of my favourites :D

Aw I came to see everyone coming back for the parade! Had to walk the legnth of the high street accompanying a friend who was leading her wee girl as horse was pulling like a train haha. Was so jealous I hadn't done the ride out, haven't done one for years, maybe next year if I'm brave enough! Such a lovely day for it too! I'm burnt to a crisp! X

We had some kiddies around us maybe you were one of the leaders haha :D

What an excellent ride :D

Thank you for sharing :D

Welcome it was fabulous :D

Great pics, it really was a lovely day here for it. I've always loved watching the lad and lasses each year although never been to Penicuiks one. :confused:

You should come its fabby edinburgh-lasswade riding school always has a list on of the dates round about Feb time :)

Great pics :D

I WILL do the ride outs again when I get a sturdier horse to take! They are awesome. Honestly we are lucky to still have such festivals that allow horses to be such a big part, and that the general public take interest in. Great sense of community in common ride season, and although they can be a bit notorious, they are often great fun.

Don't think any where else in Britain has anything like it, 20+ towns who each have one or two massive ride outs.

Nope nowhere has this, its pretty unique and I love the fact that they are free to join :D

Love the photos! I lived in Penicuik for several years but didn't have a sane enough horse to take to any ridings! I know there's a great community spirit during the riding of the marches.
Photos brought back memories (I left Penicuik in 1984).

Glad you like them, I loved taking them :D

It was a lovely day yesterday - you look like you had a ball :) I still think it is crazy that they are going ahead with loads of strangles in the surrounding areas though...

There was one yard on lock down that we passed where we normally stop for drinks every year. I thought that was rather responsible.

oh ok thanks :) I'd been wondering what they where for a while!

No problem :D

bgb

Visit site
It isn't the yards, it is the horses that are on the ride themselves. You don't know what horse may have come from a yard with strangles - it seems to bring the worst out in people. They are oblivious to the consequences of concealing the truth which has resulted in the disease spreading as rapidly as it has done over the last few months.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
It isn't the yards, it is the horses that are on the ride themselves. You don't know what horse may have come from a yard with strangles - it seems to bring the worst out in people. They are oblivious to the consequences of concealing the truth which has resulted in the disease spreading as rapidly as it has done over the last few months.

Thats the same everywhere though. People go to shows knowing or unknowing that they have it, other yards with horses there have it etc. Its the nature of horses.

Lets not ruin my thread with a strangles debate please, if you want to discuss it make a different thread IYDM :)

asbo

Visit site
Glad you had a great time, been a while since I have been on one, need a sane enough horse haha xx

Quite a few yards are on lock down here because of the strangles, yard behind us still has it and no one from there has gone out, they are staying on the estate.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Not during the circumstances currently - this is far from "the nature of horses".

http://m.scotsman.com/edinburgh-eve...t-to-stop-equine-distemper-epidemic-1-2892459

And if every post with a sub-meaning was made into a new thread, I think the forum would explode!

Seems to happen quite a lot actually and In all the years I have been on here I havent seen it explode. Strangles comes and goes every single year, same as the flu in humans comes and goes.

Well id rather you started a new thread as me enjoying my day isnt really the place for you to be making you statements thanks, Im not going to get into a starngles debate with you im afraid :)

Quantock-cob

Visit site
Looks amazing and what a surprise to have some sun!

I grew up in Dumfries and the "Riding of the Marches" was a highlight of our year. These photos bring back happy memories.

I have been tempted to take my horse up to Dumfries and stay on my brothers farm and have a go at the marches again. But 7 hours towing a trailer all the way up from Somerset, puts me off. We have similar scenery to ride in down here, so I will just have to stick to fun rides and imagine I am 12 again and back in Scotland :)

nixxyz

Visit site
Fab pics and what a cracking day its been for you :)
Re the strangles, ive been doing the rideouts for years and every year without fail a yard somewhere has strangles. Its each to their own regarding the risks involved. I usually hire a horse but thats purely because i dont i have my own :D

Again BB cracking pics :) Are you doing any other rideouts this year?