Penicuik Rideout 2013 *PICS*

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Looks amazing and what a surprise to have some sun!

I grew up in Dumfries and the "Riding of the Marches" was a highlight of our year. These photos bring back happy memories.

I have been tempted to take my horse up to Dumfries and stay on my brothers farm and have a go at the marches again. But 7 hours towing a trailer all the way up from Somerset, puts me off. We have similar scenery to ride in down here, so I will just have to stick to fun rides and imagine I am 12 again and back in Scotland :)

If it wasnt so expensive I would have suggested a hireling :D

Fab pics and what a cracking day its been for you :)
Re the strangles, ive been doing the rideouts for years and every year without fail a yard somewhere has strangles. Its each to their own regarding the risks involved. I usually hire a horse but thats purely because i dont i have my own :D

Again BB cracking pics :) Are you doing any other rideouts this year?

Yep I have Lanark Tuesday and Thursday in two weeks, then Biggar then I think my next one is musselburgh but not sure, I will see how pony does, she determines what we do :D

fburton

Visit site
Wow, what a fantastic set of pics! Some of the photos bring back memories of hacking out over the boggy moorland on Highland and Icelandic ponies (from Jill Noble's Pentland Hills Icelandics), and that path down through the pine trees looks awfully familiar. I particularly like the rider's-eye photo of Stella having a drink from the river. :)

DarenCogdon

Visit site
I hate you. Utterly, utterly, utterly hate you... :(

I knackered my arm in a fall on the mid-week ride-out on Tuesday, so I couldn't do the hill ride on Saturday at all. However...

973072_10151656112896585_1454148037_n.jpg

(photo: Sam Young)

988786_10201118130986346_853014771_n.jpg

(photo: Rebekah Lawrie)

Considering I've got a broken shoulder (my left), and I had to try and hold that massive flag, I don't think I did too badly....! ;)

Last edited:

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Wow, what a fantastic set of pics! Some of the photos bring back memories of hacking out over the boggy moorland on Highland and Icelandic ponies (from Jill Noble's Pentland Hills Icelandics), and that path down through the pine trees looks awfully familiar. I particularly like the rider's-eye photo of Stella having a drink from the river. :)

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I hate you. Utterly, utterly, utterly hate you... :(

I knackered my arm in a fall on the mid-week ride-out on Tuesday, so I couldn't do the hill ride on Saturday at all. However...

973072_10151656112896585_1454148037_n.jpg

(photo: Sam Young)

988786_10201118130986346_853014771_n.jpg

(photo: Rebekah Lawrie)

Considering I've got a broken shoulder (my left), and I had to try and hold that massive flag, I don't think I did too badly....! ;)

Im sure you dont hate me ;), I though you would be happy to see pics :) I passed you and smiled when you were standing watching us all pass was gonna say Hi but you looked preoccupied :)

Well done for doing the beginning and end parades :)

katastrophykat

Visit site
Awww, I miss the ride outs! I did Dumfries and Lockerbie the year I had my mare up there, but have only made it to Berwick once since moving home... I'm waiting until the baby horse has a few more years under his belt before we do any more but I really miss it! (I don't miss my mare standing on end at the start of each gallop while they set away the first party of lad and lass and standard bearer etc... She was a little brat at times! Somewhat speedy though- there's a lovely DVD floating around of the Berwick one with her hooning up the gallop on the outside of the field... She had some speed in her heels! :D

Glad you enjoyed your day x

DarenCogdon

Visit site
Im sure you dont hate me ;), I though you would be happy to see pics :) I passed you and smiled when you were standing watching us all pass was gonna say Hi but you looked preoccupied :)

Well done for doing the beginning and end parades :)

Nah, I don't hate you, but I am insanely jealous nonetheless. :p

You should have said hi, though! Which bit did you pass me at? Before the first canter leading up to Penicuik House?

Jnhuk

Visit site
Lovely pics - should maybe try to do Penicuik next year! How stony do the tracks get?

Only ever seem to make the Whipman and hoping we will get good weather this Saturday but somehow think asking for sunshine two weekends running is too much to hope for up here!

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Nah, I don't hate you, but I am insanely jealous nonetheless. :p

You should have said hi, though! Which bit did you pass me at? Before the first canter leading up to Penicuik House?

Yep it was :D you were standing at the side of the path, I passed you on little black pony wearing red boots :)

I was just about to open my mouth then I think someone spoke to you and I didnt want to be rude :eek:

JenTaz

Visit site
have put penicuik on my to do list of ride outs once i finish uni, since it it right in the middle of exam time, travelling an 800 mile round trip for a ride out is a bit excessive, looks great though

DarenCogdon

Visit site
Yep it was :D you were standing at the side of the path, I passed you on little black pony wearing red boots :)

I was just about to open my mouth then I think someone spoke to you and I didnt want to be rude :eek:

Aww! I wish now that I'd been able to say hi to more folk, as once we got back to the lorries, the Principal party was basically whisked off to do things in the public park.

Ancient Hacker

Visit site
Daren you are such a stoic, holding that standard despite the fall last week.
The Rideout looks lovely too. It makes me want to come over next year and do it, not least because I can't pronounce "Penicuik"!
So if anyone can swear that I will find a calm and safe hireling, and it won't snow in May, I'd really like to do it. Because we only live once.

DarenCogdon

Visit site
Hey, why not?? There must be a quiet horse or two out there that can keep up with the pack! (And, fingers crossed, I should be doing the ride-out next year!)

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
The Rideout looks lovely too. It makes me want to come over next year and do it, not least because I can't pronounce "Penicuik"!
So if anyone can swear that I will find a calm and safe hireling, and it won't snow in May, I'd really like to do it. Because we only live once.

Penny-cook ;)

Plenty safe hirelings around!

ShadowHunter

Visit site
Lovely photo's. Beautiful day for it too, all we have is rain and more rain. Glad he behaved so well, you've got a lovely looking horse from what i could see :)
We've farm those cows ie Highland Cattle. Those look very well behaved, not sure ours would be, they'd probably join you on the ride.

Scoutie

Visit site
I have never heard of this tradition before so thank you for educating me and providing such wonderful pictures.

JenTaz

Visit site

loads of places to hire very safe horses to do the rides, can't guarantee the no snow in may, it is scotland after all ;-)

Ancient Hacker

Visit site
loads of places to hire very safe horses to do the rides, can't guarantee the no snow in may, it is scotland after all ;-)

Well, riding in the snow would certainly be a novelty for me :eek: but we only live once so I think I might do it, but I'm going to have to rely on the Penicuik contingent here to make sure I hire myself a non-spooker, and not breach any weird dress codes I may be unaware of! :D