Penile Squamous Cell Carcinoma

bliss87

Visit site
Has anybody had any dealing with the operation to remove the end of the penis and how successful it is?

Out 20year old pony has had problems with his sheath for a a few years and has small nodes on is penis which we got told would eventually turn cancerous so he was 6 month check up. He went the vet for a check up yesterday could not believe how quickly he deteriorated since she last saw him as it all turned cancerous and has started to constrict the urethra and the end. Due to how rapidly its deteriorated we've been given a week to make the decisions to operate on it or not, if we dont operate they dont see him his lasting the summer as once the urethra is blocked there will be no choice to make! The op isn't covered in his insurance because of his age so we've got to pay the 2K out for the op (we don't know is this includes the antibiotics and after care aswell), the pony is fit and healthy as the vet said his heart is strong as on ox, he muscular and doesn't look like a 20 year old. I know its only a decision we can make but where all pretty heart broken atm and have one devastated little girl, but was wondering what other people thought/sucesses of the operation to have the end of the penis removed where the cancerous is

Nicnac

Visit site
Not me, but a friend had the op done on her elderly pony. Unfortunately the cancer was not eradicated and the horse had to be PTS eventually. Sorry to hear your pony has this. I am not going to give you any advice as it's your decision.

Hetsmum

Visit site
Has anybody had any dealing with the operation to remove the end of the penis and how successful it is?

Out 20year old pony has had problems with his sheath for a a few years and has small nodes on is penis which we got told would eventually turn cancerous so he was 6 month check up. He went the vet for a check up yesterday could not believe how quickly he deteriorated since she last saw him as it all turned cancerous and has started to constrict the urethra and the end. Due to how rapidly its deteriorated we've been given a week to make the decisions to operate on it or not, if we dont operate they dont see him his lasting the summer as once the urethra is blocked there will be no choice to make! The op isn't covered in his insurance because of his age so we've got to pay the 2K out for the op (we don't know is this includes the antibiotics and after care aswell), the pony is fit and healthy as the vet said his heart is strong as on ox, he muscular and doesn't look like a 20 year old. I know its only a decision we can make but where all pretty heart broken atm and have one devastated little girl, but was wondering what other people thought/sucesses of the operation to have the end of the penis removed where the cancerous is

More positive news from me. My lad had about 1/3 of the end of his penis removed just over a year ago. Fantastic recovery. Cost me £3k with all the after visits and pre op visits etc. Not without risks obviously as it is a general anasthetic. He was 14 years old and pretty fit. Very laid back cob. My vets did the procedure so I even have the photos. He had a scare this year as a couple of lumps appeared which were sent for biopsy and looked pre cancerous. He had those removed under sedation which luckily when they were analised fully turned out to be nothing.

Good luck if you decide to go ahead x

jojo5

Visit site
I have first hand experience of this as well. At the end of 2012 my boy, who was then 23, had at least three quarters of his penis resected. It came as a complete shock as he seemed perfectly healthy at the time with just a small white mark on his penis which was diagnosed as cancerous. My vet did the op, and my boy has so far been fine ( I hope - you can never tell what may be around the corner). If you would like to pm me your email address I can answer any questions about the client side of what will happen, and about the recovery period. The main cost was around 2.5 k.

bliss87

Visit site
Thanks for your replies, We've decided to go aheasd with op as we feel we wouldnt have done everything for him if we didn't and he deserves to. The vet has said he will be alot less pain afterwards than what he is now and are being very helpful allowing us to pay them in installments just have to give them a £500 upfront :)

Hetsmum

Visit site
Thanks for your replies, We've decided to go aheasd with op as we feel we wouldnt have done everything for him if we didn't and he deserves to. The vet has said he will be alot less pain afterwards than what he is now and are being very helpful allowing us to pay them in installments just have to give them a £500 upfront :)

Will be keeping everything crossed for him...... How lovely of your vets. Be prepared for something that does look quite open and raw but he will have plenty of pain relief when it is over. My larges problem (as probably will be yours) was the flies. I had to turn out after dark and in before too light and flies about. Vets suggested "Summer Fly Cream" - the yellow stuff that stains white hair! and I also put the fly tags in his tail.....just the NAF ones but I think it helpsed. Just thinking about this reminds me of how stressful it all was and how much I cried when he woke up! I will be thinking of you and him and sending lots of vibes for a very positive outcome. xxx

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
We had one - but only one small area (can add a pic!) away from the urethra and caught very early. Vet was v.v. reluctant to do a partial amputation though I just wanted it gone, he said at 21 Frank didn't need a full anaesthetic though he was also going to talk to his lazer guy about doing it with standing sedation. - he did the op on his own horse age 18 but hadn't caught it early enough.

After a lot of consultation with liverpool they made up a special chemo cream (a bit diff to the one used on sarcoids) and a combination of that and liquid nitrogen seems to have resolved it for which I am :) :) - it did take two goes though as he was being careful not to create too much scar tissue around the urethra.

Good luck for your lad.

jojo5

Visit site
Will be thinking of you in the coming days. Hetsmum is exactly right about how it will look - even after eighteen months my boy still has very dark tissue at the end of his penis which will always be like that. Don't panic, do exactly as your vet says re aftercare, and your pony will be fine! My vet pointed out that animals do not have the emotional baggage of reflecting what has been done, so this helps them a lot in recovery. Let us know as soon as he has had the op. xx

bliss87

Visit site
Ok well pony on operating table as we speak but we had a phone call from vet saying that there is a tumour in the lymph and they can operate to remove it all meaning that he will now pass urine through his rectum?

I personally didnt want this op but I got told after others had made the decision as Im always fo the view if its into the lymph it more thatn likely spread eselwhere so does any body know of any horse that have this more major surgery done to have everything rerouted via the rectum/anus?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
There was a poster in SA who had this done with her pony (bacterial infection though) and he recovered really well.

However I would understand it that the cancer has already spread and will travel elsewhere from the lymph nodes, sorry :(.

flojo

Visit site
I know of two horses that have had the radical surgery you describe and both of the operations were a complete success. (although both boys now pee like mares)

The owners were members on another forum, not sure if they are on here though.

Hetsmum

Visit site
This year when mine had lumps again that was the surgery he was going to have. It is supposed to have a good success rate, however the spread to lumph would be the worry for me too. As the decision has been made I would just get as much info from the vets as you can. I always like to write down my questions as and when I think of them then I can bombard them with all my questions at once. They are used to me getting out my list! I hope his recovery goes well and they may well have got all the tumour and all will be well. They should know after it all goes to the labs. Send him a hug from my lad and me (and to you for all the worry) xxx

jojo5

Visit site
Just thinking of you and your pony this morning. I too have heard good success rates re the whole re-routing thing. As Hetsmum says, the next step now will be the results from the lab tests re the tissue around the tumour in the lymph. Vibes from me and my boy too.

bliss87

Visit site
The vet is very helpful she rang everyone who she had a number for to make sure everyone who need to know knew how he was. Shes confident that they have got everything out and that it hasn't spread anywhere else as they think they go it out early enough! Hes still in recovery as he cant put weight on his 1 leg they think it just muscle spasms from being in surgery for so long but he has been up and had a wee (which took him by suprise), had a poo, eaten a scoop of nuts and is alert just not willing to stand! My mom thinks she made the wrong call and should of had him PTS but given the 10min she had decide she couldnt face it there and then to be the one to say put him down infront of my niece!

Thanks you for the vibes and wishes all very much needed =)

Hetsmum

Visit site
The vet is very helpful she rang everyone who she had a number for to make sure everyone who need to know knew how he was. Shes confident that they have got everything out and that it hasn't spread anywhere else as they think they go it out early enough! Hes still in recovery as he cant put weight on his 1 leg they think it just muscle spasms from being in surgery for so long but he has been up and had a wee (which took him by suprise), had a poo, eaten a scoop of nuts and is alert just not willing to stand! My mom thinks she made the wrong call and should of had him PTS but given the 10min she had decide she couldnt face it there and then to be the one to say put him down infront of my niece!

Thanks you for the vibes and wishes all very much needed =)

Thanks for the update. It all sounds very positive at the moment and very good news about the wee! Will still keep him in our thoughts and send lots of vibes for a swift recovery. x

bliss87

Visit site
Vet said they'd only ring if he got worse if not they'd ring in the morning, so imagine the panic when the vet 2hrs ago but on answering the phone my sister heres them laughing as they're watching him careering around the recovery room Having already once tried to escape out of recovery back into theatre hes starting to sound more like his cheeky self =)

I think everyone at the vets will be just as pleased as he has abit of a fan club

jojo5

Visit site
So pleased to hear this! As I said before, my vet told me that because animals are not able to really evaluate what has happened to them, they are not troubled by the emotional impact of major surgery as humans are. So as long as they are not in pain, recovery can be quicker than we expect. Keep us posted!

bliss87

Visit site
We got a phone call to say he wasnt as bright this morning but his muscle where slowly starting to soften as theyd beeb massaging them....fast forward 10min to a 2nd a phone call saying hed had a seizure and died in the nurses arms we're all absolutly devastated, the vet and the nurses have all cried over him I think its going to take a while to sink in :'(

jojo5

Visit site
I'm so so sorry to hear about your pony. How hard it must be for you right now, , but do remember that you made sure to secure the very best treatment for him, and he will not suffer any more. you showed your huge love for him as long as you could.

bliss87

Visit site
Thank you guys

Hes no longer in any pain I feel its the best thing for him but at the same time im devasted I seem be alot more upset tgan my niece but she has said if she starts to cry she doesn't know if she'll stop