pentathlon showjumping

trendybraincell

Visit site
Is anyone else watching the mens pentathlon showjumping phase?

As I understand it, which horse they ride is a total lottery, so credit to them for that but I am shocked by the riding of some of these "olympic athletes"

GDB

photobucket.com
Snap post........ooops I shouldnt have laughed when that poor Hungarian bloke jumped the fence alone......Looks like Radway on a Sunday morning!!!
grin.gif

Hats off to them tho!

Flame_

Visit site
I love watching this! You can really tell the difference between the ones who ride regularly and the ones who've just tried to learn to show jump for this competition and are better at other parts.

In fairness to them though they only get a few minutes in the warm up to get used to their allocated horse. Some of the horses aren't easy either.

Some are absolutely painful to watch!
crazy.gif

trendybraincell

Visit site
It looks so wet, not sure exactly where it is...but I don't think it very good advert for pentathletes. If people have questioned some of the eventers and showjumpers riding imagine what this looks like...beamed world wide!

trendybraincell

Visit site
I was shouting at the TV telling the guy to get off the poor thing...looked like it was in pain going over the fences, nearly head butted him several times!

BlackWhite381

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
...but an unaffiliated ODE is not at 1m20 in their defence!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if they aren't capable of doing that without harming the horse they shouldn't be at the olympics!

Beanyowner

Visit site

Can you not grasp the concept that this is probably their weakest discipline, on difficult horses? These athletes have 5 event to pretty much master...you see many people learning to ride and getting round large BSJA courses with a couple of years?!?! Some of these riders have never seen a horse before then suddenly being told they should move on from Triathlons or something and have to learn to ride...not everyone is a born rider!

BlackWhite381

Visit site
I know that but i don't agree that people should be allowed to lame horse and carry on riding some of the riders have done half decent rounds but some look blatently(sp?) cruel and there is NO excuse!

Beanyowner

Visit site
But then surely that is the judges fault not the riders! Like I said, these riders are probably not the best examples and it can be difficult for a well seasoned experienced rider to feel lameness let alone someone who hasn't been doing it very long!

Flame_

Visit site
Don't you think that bearing in mind the organisers are aware some of the competitors riding is so weak compared to the other disciplines, it is cruel to still expect the horses to carry them around 1m20 track after only a brief period to get used to each other?

BlackWhite381

Visit site
If they are olympic athletes they should have trained for this event as much of any of the others after all a international showjumper wouldnt enter the hurdles then when they fell over and say it wasn't there strongest event they just wouldn't do it! You should only be doing at the olympics what you are good at

Beanyowner

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
would you get back on after your horse put its foot through a fence!

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitly not...but I AM A HORSE RIDER!!! I do not shoot, fence, swim or run (fast anyway!
grin.gif
) I am not someone who has been TOLD I have to learn to ride, I am JUST a horse rider with A LOT of experience!

Why...would you?!? Oh no...thats right...your a horse person too.

JM07

Visit site
So, by 2012, The Pentathlon is going to be over subscribed judging by the " i can do better" replies on here...

get a grip.....

BlackWhite381

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
So, by 2012, The Pentathlon is going to be over subscribed judging by the " i can do better" replies on here...

get a grip.....

[/ QUOTE ]

No thanks i'll stick to riding thats what im GOOD at wouldn't expect people to make allowences for me bcause i am crap at running or whatever just wouldn't bother doing it!