People are scaring me re rugs

Sparklet

Visit site
I'd be tempted to buy a horseware underrug...they are about £29 and it could go under your MW turnout making it HW for winter and also go under your MW stable rug making it a bit warmer. Buy two if you want to separate going out clothes from pyjamas.

To be honest I dont think MW is enough for a 3/4 TB for winter. You may find he/she loses weight and that is a vicious downward spiral to climb out of in winter...always best to keep the weight on.

Oh and I mention horseware because the fit is fab on TB's with high withers.....some others can pull back and cut into the wither...this never happens with horseware...I always use horseware under cheaper rugs because it make the fit better.

Tinkerbee

Visit site
My pony never had a rug
blush.gif
shocked.gif
I borrowed a sweat rug ( a fetching red string thing
wink.gif
) if I wanted her to look cool at shows
cool.gif
grin.gif

Shiraz

Visit site
I have a definite addiction! I have 3 horses and anytime anyone is at the stables they ask how many horses live there because of all the rugs hanging in the passageway. It's just my 3
blush.gif
I like to have "spares" incase one gets soaked through and doesn't dry for morning

Good doer QH has:
fleece
2x LW TO
2x MW TO
1 x fleece
1 x LW stable rug
1 xfly sheet with neck

Good Doer TB (The precious one) has:
1 x LW TO
2 x MW TO (one std/one high neck)
2 x HW (one rambo combo/on high neck)
1 x fleece
1x LW stable rug
1 x STD stable rug
1 x under rug
1 x cooler
1 x fly sheet with neck

Poor doer TB has:
1x LW
2 x MW (one std/one combo)
2 x HW (std and combo)
1 x fleece
1 x std stable rug
1 x HW stable rug with neck
1 x fly sheet with neck

As "spares" I have:
1 x HW stable rug
1 x MW turnout with neck
2 x exercise sheets
1x std stable rug
1 x HW rug with neck

looking for a heavier HW for one TB as it's very bleak at our yard. OMG, I need help...........

Faithkat

Visit site
I'm amazed at the number of people who rug their natives. Unless they are clipped within an inch of their lives, our native ponies are designed to cope with the weather. If they lived naturally they wouldn't be rugged. I've got an NF and wouldn't dream of rugging him, his winter coat is about 3 inches long and they live out 24/7!

Edited to say that the AAxWB has one lightweight turn out rug (just a rain sheet really). She's only a yearling but has no winter coat at (she's just like her AA mother) but she's out 24/7 and I don't want to make her soft!

htobago

Visit site
Oh dear I've lost count of how many rugs I've bought for mine - and he is stabled and only goes out twice a day for a 'burn up' (his choice - he hoons around until he's exhausted and then asks to come in).

But he is a thin-skinned pure-bred Arab who barely grows any winter coat at all, so he does need extra protection from cold, even in the stable.

Chunkie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'm apparently old and have been shouted at on here before re rugs. Obviously you must keep your horse warm, but really, sometimes, I wonder how did our horses survive in the dark old days of basically one jute rug, a new zealand and a sweat rug?

[/ QUOTE ]

I too am old. As a teenager I had an anglo-arab who was clipped out as I used to hunt. He had a green NZ for day time and a jute rug for the night, under which I used to put one of my Mum's old eiderdowns. It was sewn up around the neck so I had to put it on over his head, otherwise it would have slipped out backwards from under the jute rug in the night.

Aaaahhh - the good old days!
smile.gif

amandaco2

Visit site
mine have loads of rugs eeek
only as i have a problem teehee

mine are in lw rugs at the moment as they are unclipped and hairy and warm enough- 1 wb 2yo,18yo ISH and 5yo TBx
once the 5yo is clipped she is be rugged using one of my many rugs(they are all 6ft6 or 6ft3
smile.gif
) depending how she feels.

SO1

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'm amazed at the number of people who rug their natives. Unless they are clipped within an inch of their lives, our native ponies are designed to cope with the weather. If they lived naturally they wouldn't be rugged. I've got an NF and wouldn't dream of rugging him, his winter coat is about 3 inches long and they live out 24/7!

[/ QUOTE ]

I do in part agree with this but most native ponies are not living a life similar to that in the wild where they would get fat during the summer and then use that extra weight to help keep warm in the winter. In the winter in herds they can snuggle together to keep warm and also move to more sheltered areas.

My forester is rugged as it is going to get very cold this week sub zero and he is getting clipped on Sat. He is not fat - he has been on restricted grazing all summer due to not wanting him to get lami or overweight. He lives out 24/7 and I don't want him to loose lots of weight and get all sluggish as he was using all his energy to keep warm which happened last year when he got cold and I did not rug him till Mid December (he was not clipped last year). If he was back out on the Forest he would be fine I know but he would also have more shelter and be coming into the winter fatter than he currently is.

He has 1 LW mainly for keeping him clean if I am taking him to a show the next day and it is not cold but there is alot of mud and rain forecast overnight.

I also have 3 MW so I have spares in case one gets damaged and so I can put a dry one back on if I have taken a wet one off for riding (they tend to only be wet on the outside but it is nice to put a dry one back on!)

Coffee_Bean

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Hhhm, I have...
1x Rainsheet
1 x MW TO and i attach and old neck cover on from a rug which she ripped.
1 x HW combo TO
1 x LW/MW stable rug
1 x HW stable
1 x under rug
2 x fleeces
And a few exercise sheet thingys.

But I layer with what I need, refuse to put a HW to on until winter, so I could put a fleece on underneath her MW, and mix and match etc
smile.gif

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
I have lots for one pony
1 flyrug (eventually broken after 3 years good service)
1 h/w stable rug no neck
1 underug with neck
1 underug no neck
1 thermatex
1 fleece
1 l/w turnout
1 m/w turnout
1 h/w turnout

to be honest I could probably do without the thermatex as it doesn't fit him well, although comes in handy for layering in winter. I could also do without the m/w rug as he barely uses it, he's in the l/w untill he's clipped and is then straight into the h/w!