People commenting on your horse riding

yasminA

Visit site
So I took my mare Una xc schooling for the first time on Saturday (she's a 15.3h irish sports horse 7yr old) & ended up with a group of mothers criticising what I was doing with her, which really drove me mad!

I only bought Una in january and if anyone has seen my previouse posts I had an awful lot of porblems with her bucking, rearing, spinning ect.. I've spent alot of time bonding with her, schooling and correcting her & now she is a little star! We still have a long way to go before she's ready for a dressage trest, but we are getting there & now she seems to really be enjoying her work and trying her hardest to please. I have even began jumping her and my god what a scopey jump she has.My younger sister can even now pop on her round the school in canter and do circles ect and hack her.

So anyway I thought as a treat i'd take her xc schooling with my other pony who absolutely loves it and see what she thought (I aim to ODE and hunt her eventually). She was such a good girl and jumped everything I asked of her and with a little coaxing went through the water.

I was feeling extreamly proud until I over heard a group of women talking loudly about how wasted she was with me, how its clear i've 'over horsed myself', if they were me they'd ask her for a faster canter, that it was such a shame, what a waste of a scopey jump, ect... I dont think i've ever been so mad in my entier life!

I am fully aware my mare has a lovely jump. My aim of the day was to build her confidence up and make her view xc as a fun experience. In jumping only the smaller obstacles (I didnt jump anything roughly over 65 cm) I've built her confidence up; whilst she was hesitant about a few she didnt refuse anything. Am I wasting my horse in educating her slowly? My plan is to push her a little bit more each time I go.

later on I bombed round on my connemara jumping the more daring obstacles, but I didnt look round and pass judgemnt on those who were only hopping over the odd log ect.

Why is it that people feel the need to comment on other people's riding? As long as the horse and rider are both safe and comfortable, what else should really matter?

Sorry this just really upset/angered me, rant over.

rhino

Visit site
And as long as you are happy with your horse, why does it matter? :) I know it can be difficult to ignore comments like that, but the best thing you can do is ignore them and continue to work with your girl.

I had very similar comments when I first got the ginger horse, and my goodness didn't people have to eat their words! :D :D

Ollie's Mum

Visit site
Just jealousy - and just because they talk the talk doesn't mean they walk the walk! Take no notice and you just enjoy your horse :D

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Bringing a horse on too slowly never messes them up. Rushing most certainly can.
You have to keep in mind that criticising others is the biggest equine sport requiring the least skill. ;)

rema

Visit site
Although it is not nice to hear someone criticising you it could actually be taken as a compliment..you have got your horse to this level after having problems with her so all credit to you!.

Holl&Ru

Visit site
I never really got it until I started riding Ru, who is very talented and previously did GP whereas I'm a graded Para' riding at a lower level. I always figure his owner must see something in me to let me compete him, and if someone with so much experience who has bred some of America's best sports horses thinks I'm talented enough I should ignore them :rolleyes:

Besides, if I was taking a horse XC for the first time I'd say taking it slower and starting things off small were sensible decisions and not something to be mocked! :eek:

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
One of the reasons I left my last yard was a group of people who were always commenting on your horse, your tack, your turnout and your riding both to your face and behind your back.

The people who were criticising seemed to spend all their time clipping and trimming but I'm not sure why as they barely left the school

It really annoyed me as I was going out and doing baby classes and cross country schooling and both myself and my horse were enjoying ourselves and having a go even if his mane needed pulling and was on the wrong side.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Like others have said, just idiots. Think I might have been tempted to canter at them shouting 'i'm so crap I can't even stop'

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Bringing a horse on too slowly never messes them up. Rushing most certainly can.
You have to keep in mind that criticising others is the biggest equine sport requiring the least skill. ;)

^^ This exactly. Ignore them! :D
I have a horse who has been ruined by too early pushing and noone listening to him. You do as your gut tells you.

GingerTrotter

Visit site
Sounds like your doing a fantastic job producing your gorgeous horse OP!
Keep up the good work and much more importantly keep having fun!
Dont listen to anyone else, no-one knows your horse better than you.

You horse sounds lovely and you sound like you have a fantastic relationship.

Marydoll

Visit site
I never really got it until I started riding Ru, who is very talented and previously did GP whereas I'm a graded Para' riding at a lower level. I always figure his owner must see something in me to let me compete him, and if someone with so much experience who has bred some of America's best sports horses thinks I'm talented enough I should ignore them :rolleyes:

Besides, if I was taking a horse XC for the first time I'd say taking it slower and starting things off small were sensible decisions and not something to be mocked! :eek:

In a nutshell:D

kirstykate

Visit site
At least you got their attention and you are obviously sat on a super horses:p Those that can do those that cant B***H!!! Give your self a big pat on the back and carry on doing what you are doing. Go girl:p:p:p

lady_annabelle

Visit site
Feel the same wish they had a mute button mine chucked me off in the road today On way to lesson and a lovely women in horse and carriage replied with over horsed yourself love no she just hates being side swiped by a bloody car. Well done on getting her so far after all your problems

wildcard

Visit site
I always find the ones who critisize are usually afraid to have a go themselves..or just pure jealous that your doing a better job than they could. Id laugh it off end of the day who was on the horse and who was stood watching bit***

Sounds like your going in the right directions so how can anyone critisize, slow and steady wins the race afterall.. good look and look forward to some more progress reports :)

hudsonw

Visit site
Ignore the bitchy, snide comments. It's just sad old women with nothing better to do than try and make their pathetic lives look better by slagging off others.
The only comments I would care about are from my instructors and other professionals who know what they are talking about....the others I wouldn't bother with and let them get on with their nasty ways and you crack on enjoying your horse.

Always Henesy

Visit site
I would take this as a compliment.
Most people criticise (in a non constructive way) and bitch because they are jealous or eaten up by their own insecurities/inadequacies.
They were probably most hacked off that you had a horse showing wonderful potential and were probably wishing they had your horse.
And the knowledge that they wouldn't have the money/capabilities/scope to ever own a horse as good as yours meant that to make themselves feel better - they belittle you.

Ignore them and hold your head up high.

Tbh - if all you wanted to do with your horse was pat it - then it's no one else's business but yours.

:D:D

Wizzkid

Visit site
Oh i just wish i hadn't heard it! Im forever being told Oscar is too good for me! I know he is a saint and he is more advanced than me but people do feel the need to inform me of this....I'm tempted to wear a sign!!

People are odd esp if they want what you have :)

1Lucie

Visit site
Oh no thats not pleasant!!! I would be gutted!!!

Always amuses me that other people like to pass judgement about something they actually know nothing about.

If they r soo good, why were they not riding round the course?