People never learn do they........Why do they do it???

Biglets Mummy

Visit site
First really warm day around here yesterday and popped over to the supermarket....Car thermo showing 24 as I parked. Yep....Estate car with windows all wound up tightly and a collie cross panting and distressed at the back window....
I saw red Im afraid. I took the reg and went straight to customer services who put a message out shaming the owners...The customer service assistant was furious and said over the tannoy several times that their dog was extremely distressed and that the manager was on his way to break the windows and the police had been called. Manager was fantastic and walked with me back to the car whilst the petrol station manager ran over with a tyre jack to break the window.
Vile mouthy slouches crawled out of the cafe after a leisurely breakfast no doubt and gave all of us such a mouth full and said the dog was fine which she clearly wasn't as she drank the water that one of the assistants very kindly bought out and was pretty upset.
Why oh why do people do it ? (It truly baffles me along with tying up outside shops) My girl stays at home in the cool and only travels with me if we are heading somewhere with eh A/C on.
Poor Old girl....hope she is better looked after at home.

Cahill

Visit site
unbelievable. :(

as for leaving tied up outside shop--would they leave their fone/handbag outside? no...cant think much of their pets :(

Biglets Mummy

Visit site
Well done for sorting it out.
Some people don't deserve animals. end of.

She was quite an old dog bless her - Again agree some people dont deserve animals - I think I may get punched one day as if I hadn't been supported by the wonderful supermarket staff I would have dialled 999 and told them that I was breaking the car window. Bloody people.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I had to knock on my neighbours door the other day. They have just got an eight week old poodle puppy and it was in a crate, in the conservatory .... in front of the windows! We have a conservatory so I know exactly how oven hot it gets even when its not particularly hot outside. They have since moved him.

Good job I'm nosy though otherwise it could have been dead by now!

I would have broken the window and taken the dog. Well done you.

lindsay1993

Visit site
The place I work looks directly onto the car park of farm shop/tea-room type place. I have on several occasions lost the plot with people leaving dogs in cars.

There was once a lady who had a tiny 8 week old puppy wrapped up in blankets and left it in her boot. I was raging as it must have easily been 25 degrees and parked in full sun! I stormed into the tea-room and told the manager. The lady was dealt with swiftly, but had a hell of an attitude! She protested that the puppy was fine as it needs to be warm because it's only little. Both the tea-room manager & I were shocked.

A man left 4 German shepherds in the back of a Ford Focus once with a tiny 1/2 inch of window open. They were so distressed. I didn't have to intervene that time as another group of people had spotted them & gave the man a right earful.

My 3 dogs never, ever come in the car with us unless it's a short journey to take them somewhere & I would never leave them unattended for several hours as some people seem to.

Biglets Mummy

Visit site
I had to knock on my neighbours door the other day. They have just got an eight week old poodle puppy and it was in a crate, in the conservatory .... in front of the windows! We have a conservatory so I know exactly how oven hot it gets even when its not particularly hot outside. They have since moved him.

Good job I'm nosy though otherwise it could have been dead by now!

I would have broken the window and taken the dog. Well done you.

My God no !!!!! What is wrong with these people??Thank god you saw what was happening!! Well done you too x

Biglets Mummy

Visit site
The place I work looks directly onto the car park of farm shop/tea-room type place. I have on several occasions lost the plot with people leaving dogs in cars.

There was once a lady who had a tiny 8 week old puppy wrapped up in blankets and left it in her boot. I was raging as it must have easily been 25 degrees and parked in full sun! I stormed into the tea-room and told the manager. The lady was dealt with swiftly, but had a hell of an attitude! She protested that the puppy was fine as it needs to be warm because it's only little. Both the tea-room manager & I were shocked.

A man left 4 German shepherds in the back of a Ford Focus once with a tiny 1/2 inch of window open. They were so distressed. I didn't have to intervene that time as another group of people had spotted them & gave the man a right earful.

My 3 dogs never, ever come in the car with us unless it's a short journey to take them somewhere & I would never leave them unattended for several hours as some people seem to.

Im really glad Im not the only one who gets mad - their is so much publicity now about what an awful slow painful death it is for these dogs left in cars - just dont get it.....

chillipup

Visit site

I was going to mention this too DG. The RSPCA have attended Badminton, (and lots of other shows) for many years, not only to promotes themselves but because of the amount of dogs left in cars during warm weather. They have to patrol the car parks all day (and if you've been to Badminton, you'll know how many cars are there).

I used to attend Badminton as a spectator for many years, when I lived nearby. The RSPCA always had a stand at Badminton and would be warning people as they arrived, not the leave their dogs in their cars when it was sunny and warm.

One particularly year, when the weather was unusually hot, I was visiting their stand when an Inspector returned with two long haired, elderly and overweight Collie cross dogs, he'd had to remove from the rear of a car with the help of the Police. The dogs looked exhausted, panting and puffing. A Vet at the stand checked the dogs over, took their temperatures and helped cool the dogs down. The Inspector, had apparently, recorded the temperature inside the vehicle (thru gaps left in windows, both before and after the dogs were removed) Can't remember what it was but needless to say it was extremely high.

Being nosey, I hung around chatting with the Vet, to see what happened next. The Vet told me that despite all the warnings every year, people were still leaving their dogs in their cars! and the RSPCA had decided to take it further that year by taking a prosecution against any one leaving their dog in a car that was found suffering due to the heat. (which is why they had employed the Vet to be on hand).

It was a good 40 minutes later when a very red faced, well spoken, elderly man and his wife, came marching into the RSPCA stand, demanding to know where their dogs were and why they had been removed from their car. (The Inspector showed them to the kennels at the rear of the stand to confirm they were the owners of the dogs) The man was livid, really aggressive, shouting the odds and 'how dare they remove his dogs!' I thought he was about to burst a blood vessel, especially when he was cautioned by the Inspector who had removed them!

Sadly, it wasn't really appropriate for me to lurk and eavesdrop any longer, but I later found out that both the man and his wife were interviewed and reported for prosecution. Thankfully both dogs recovered and they were returned to the owners that day. I think they ended up getting a fine in court after pleading guilty but I remember it was reported in the local papers and the defense solicitor saying (which has always stuck in my head) 'that the owners cared greatly for their dogs over many years and had for 364 days of this particular year, however, on this one day, they made a very silly mistake, which they admit, could have turned into a tragedy, had the RSPCA not intervened'.

It turned out they had put their dogs in the car while they went for lunch at one of the hospitality tents and.... they were only gone an hour!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Well done, OP. I've had to do similar in a supermarket car park in the past, too, plus in various other locations. Usually the idiot owner stomps over insisting that their dog is fine as they've left a window open - yes, right, about an inch.

Good idea about 999, photo then smash window in an emergency, though tbf I'd still miss out the first two if it was critical and to hell with the consequences.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
people do it with their kids too! the year of the bomb scare at the GN, my OH went around with police (he is a vet) checking cars for dogs as people were evacuated. I never understand why people think their dogs want to go shopping, or Badminton fwiw.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Bramham horse trials used to have a dog 'creche' (it might still do) where you coudl pay to kennel your dog for a time if you wanted. Personally I won't take my dog to something like that again (and he's been to stay away events with me whilst grooming for a friend) as he's just too annoying! He knows the whistles signify a horse coming and he starts looking out for them, he would love it if I let go and he could have a nice gambol with the horses.

I do leave him in the car if I go to the local shop where I can park outside for 5 mins, but if its hot I fully open the huge sunroof and crack all the windows to get airflow.

Damnation

Visit site
I get mad too.

I have 3 dogs, 2 of which are black and suffer in the heat. If it is hot outside, they stay at home. If they *have* to come with us it is in an airconditioned car and they would not be left in the car unattended at all.

I cried last year after a video of a dog went viral, It was mid summer in France and a dog had been left unattended in the blistering heat in a car. People were trying to get the dog out of the car but it was too late, the dog died from the heat as soon as they got the window broken :(

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I do leave him in the car if I go to the local shop where I can park outside for 5 mins, but if its hot I fully open the huge sunroof and crack all the windows to get airflow.
Leaving a dog for 5 minutes on a hot day is probably just about ok, though I wouldn't do it. It would be a good idea, though, to stick a note on the dash to explain that you'll be right back, where you are, and give the time you left.

I'm getting cynical in my old age, and am much less likely to believe all the usual excuses when folk come back to their car and dogs on a hot day.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
It's the local small posh tesco, I park right outside and no one stays there very long. The sunroof is great though :)

Eta, I have enough guilt/sense and likely wouldn't do this on any of our actual hot days we get! We only get 3 of those a year anyway!!

{97702}

Visit site
It always astonishes me that they frequently have instances of people leaving dogs in cars on hot days AT DOG SHOWS!!!!!

Nowt so stupid as the human race..... makes me so mad...

smja

Visit site
Cheshire Show a couple of years ago was a scorcher - people next to us in the stand had brought their dog and didn't want to leave it in the car, good. But the dog looked overheated and unwell... it transpired that they hadn't brought any water for the dog at all, nor visited any of the stands where dog water was available!
Whilst I was still goggling at them in shock, the lady behind us had already whipped out a container and bottle of water for the poor dog. Well done her.

Shantara

Visit site
Lévrier;13258124 said:
It always astonishes me that they frequently have instances of people leaving dogs in cars on hot days AT DOG SHOWS!!!!!

Nowt so stupid as the human race..... makes me so mad...

I went to a show last Sunday with my Tam. We kept her in the shade, with a full bowl of water at all times. When we were driving there and back, windows were open, it was a lovely breeze. I made sure she didn't run around, or get too excited.
According to Mum (I was too busy with Tam, I didn't see) There was another dog there, who's owners gave it no water, let it run around and didn't keep it in the shade! The poor thing was so thirsty, it broke away from it's owners to find a drink. It got some, but they yanked it away :( I wish Mum had told me while we were there so I could have given it some of Tams water. Poor little chap!

sunnyone

Visit site
A girl at the yard I was at a few years ago had a baby, and promptly started riding again after 6 weeks or so. She regularly left the child asleep in the car, full sun, no air etc. YO spent most of the summer giving child care lessons for free.! Thankfully without serious incident but we all wondered how she treated the child at home.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We have 2 Rottweiler's who love tobgo out with us, especially to Bramham and Cheshire show. They do feel the heat, being black but we bought them 'Cool Coats', (£50) which work brilliantly and I. can recommend them. You still can't leave them on in the car though!

Last edited:

Fiona

Visit site
We were at the giants causeway today, and after a 2hr walk, popped lily back in the car so we could go into the visitors centre for a bite of lunch. .

I told the car park attendant we were going, and that windows open etc in case someone reported barking, and he said I had done the right thing telling him as if someone reports it to him they just call the police immediately. .

Fiona

Fiona

Visit site
I'm hardly going to be posting on this particular thread to say I leave my dog in the car in the sun now am I ;)

Fiona

Tobiano

Visit site
Hm this makes me think that we should all arm ourselves with one of those punch things that breaks car windows so we can save dogs if we see this happening (probably illegal, most sensible things seem to be these days).

As well as the leaving in the car - which is by far the worst - I also hate seeing people dragging their panting and exhausted (often fat and hairy) dogs around in full sunshine at outdoor events - people don't seem to realise that dogs actually suffer in these circumstances where they are more interested in tanning their (often fat and hairy lol) legs!

Fiona

Visit site
I bought one of those recently tobiano.. After someones car went into the water off pier in co donegal.. Never thought that it would have other uses. Good tip.

Fiona

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I've seen dogs this past few weeks that I've never seen before. They mustn't go out unless it's sunny.
(My car is equipped with the window breaker, four sets of foils, a ventlock, 5 litres of water and a window trellis....nicknamed 'Sputnik')