People riding without a riding hat....

littleladylou

Visit site
does it make you angry? Today I passed a very pleasant an polite lady on a beautiful Arab, I was just thinking to myself how glamourous she looked when I realised that she wasn't wearing a hat. How do you feel about this?

Tash88

Visit site
I'm not sure whether 'angry' is the word, but it certainly makes me think that they are rather stupid and ignorant. I might be more angry if I saw a child/young teenager riding without a hat as then I would assume that an adult hadn't told them to always wear a hat.

swintondesire

Visit site
its not a good example but im sure its your choice if you are above a certain age. in my opinion i wouldnt ride without a hat i have once or twice but i feel like im missing something and that was in the school theres no way i could hack out without one

Boxers

Visit site
Yes, it does. Obviously it's rider's own choice, but I know of a beautiful 17 yr old girl who briefly popped onto her horse bareback and was thrown and hit a wall. Her parents had her life support turned off three days later.

A new livery at the yard I'm at rides hatless and the YO has told her she has to wear one. I'm not sure if she's complying or not cos she's not there at the same time as me.

Boxers

Visit site
I'm not sure whether 'angry' is the word, but it certainly makes me think that they are rather stupid and ignorant. I might be more angry if I saw a child/young teenager riding without a hat as then I would assume that an adult hadn't told them to always wear a hat.

Isn't it a legal requirement now for children to wear hats? Under 16's I believe.

redriverrock

Visit site
I feel abit naked if I dont have my hat on but wouldnt be angry at others...might just think they are abit vain! I would be very angry at my kids though...

Tash88

Visit site
Yes Boxers I think it is, although I thought the age was 14. That is such a tragic story about the 17 year old girl as well.

all about Romeo

Visit site
I think if the person who is not wearing a hat is an adult they can do as they please and if they fall off and get a head injury they have no one to blame but themselves... (depending on circumstances of course)

I have ridden without a hat and that is my choice... my horse, my head, my problem... :cool:

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Sure it's allowed on a family pony ;)

picture.php

**Stands back as OP implodes :D **

MrsHutt

Visit site
I think I would feel a bit odd riding without a hat now - a bit like if you don't put your seatbelt on!

I too saw a woman today riding bareback down the lane (very slippery and steep) without a hat. Doesn't make me angry - just incredulous! Her head, she can do what she wants, as long as I don't have to pick up the pieces :p

Rileyboy

Visit site
I dont wear one in the field nd havnt a few times on hacks like been said my fault if I die, trust my lad tho nd he is neva silly always stick one on kids tho

redriverrock

Visit site
Yes, it does. Obviously it's rider's own choice, but I know of a beautiful 17 yr old girl who briefly popped onto her horse bareback and was thrown and hit a wall. Her parents had her life support turned off three days later.

A new livery at the yard I'm at rides hatless and the YO has told her she has to wear one. I'm not sure if she's complying or not cos she's not there at the same time as me.

Hi, really hope you dont mind me asking was a community art project set up in her name...just sent some fabric (i own a fabric wholesalers) to a group who was set up in memory of a 17 year old girl who died in a very similar way.

ridefast

Visit site
I sometimes forget to put on my hat and spend half the ride thinking this feels different, what's different? Oh...
What about cowboys?

littleladylou

Visit site
it is an interesting one as I agree with most that, of course, it her choice but part of me worries about the fact that it is such a risk to take. Horses are flight animals and no matter how good they are they can bolt if under pressure or simply slip over and cause us harm. As adult riders should we be setting an example for the younger ones or have some respect for another rider or walker who might stumble across a very nasty accident? Maybe it is because in a fall I split my hat from the top of the hat to the nap on my neck, I keep it in the tack room to remind me that could have been my skull. (I think family pics when a pony is obviously in the field chilled and probably with a head collar on can be exempt- very cute!)

Ibblebibble

Visit site
Sure it's allowed on a family pony ;)

silver016.jpg

:eek: sat the wrong way and no hat, damn me to hell;) i won't let her ride like it although i used to do it myself , at 16/17 it was common practice for myself and a friend to hide our hats in the bushes on the way out and collect them on the way home, and there is no better feeling than cantering bareback with no hat:eek:
Do i do it now, nope, don't bounce like i used to and got kids to consider.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
As an adult, your choice if your yard allows you to sign a disclaimer as one of my old yards does.

I wouldn't dream of it, personally, as I think it's incredibly selfish and I prefer my husband not to have to look after a vegetable forever more or to have to make the decision to turn off the life support. :)

JustKickOn

Visit site
Does it anger me? No. It is an individuals decision as to what they want to do, but I wouldn't intentionally do it myself. Have hopped on bareback on the yard with old pony, but she was super sensible.

TandD

Visit site
done it once or twice but feels so wrong....and your head gets cold :/

the queen has never ridden with a hat has she?

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
at 16/17 it was common practice for myself and a friend to hide our hats in the bushes on the way out and collect them on the way home, and there is no better feeling than cantering bareback with no hat:eek:
Do i do it now, nope, don't bounce like i used to and got kids to consider.

LOL was never that bad, but then my hat was velvet covered cardboard held on with elastic, so doubt it would have done much in a fall anyway. ;)

I mainly ride in a skull cap these days, but still school my mare hatless in the summer as too hot and in the winter as too cold not to keep my ears warm with fluffy headband. ;)

weebarney

Visit site
Doesn't make me angry just seems a bit of an immature thing to do. I like my brain and the fact it usually functions well and I want to keep it that way!

Enfys

Visit site
Half the people on my yard do not even OWN a hat.

In general, I think that as an adult it is your own decision, but that should be tempered with consideration for those that have to pick up bits of you from the road, and for your family who have to nurse or bury you.

tankgirl1

Visit site
Cute pics of kids atop a chilled out steed, at home, hatless are one thing - hell I've done it myself if anyone cares to search!

Hacking out - no, it's just so unsafe, probably invalidates insurance, and gives out a bad image to any pony loving youngster who sees you.

Local landlord used to ride his arab stallion bareback and hatless thru the village when I was about 15yo - even back then I thought he was a show off idiot... not for the bareback but for the lack of hat!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
No, doesn't make me angry.Its personal choice and amongst the world's riders, a minority wear helmets.
Many accidents happen when not riding but just being around horses on the ground. A YO was critically wounded by a kick to the stomach when leading a horse. Following the logic of accident prevention, helmets and body protectors should be worn when ever on the yard or field.

I wear a hat out of habit, rather than because I feel I need to everytime I sit on a horse and partly because I wouldn't want teenagers to think its cool to ride without one.

But, in short, anger, outrage etc at hatless riders ? Nah. Adults can make their own risk assessment.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I don't care what other folk do.

I wear a hat and BP at all times on idiot youngster. My daughter wears a hat and BP at all times around horses.

I have often ridden daughters pony at home with no hat if just getting on if she is mucking the kids about. I'd rather have had a hat on but didn't. Wouldn't be hatless on any other beasts but she is a kids pony so really...

Littlelegs

Visit site
Lol ibblebibble, we did exactly the same, rather convenient tree & bushes just round the corner from the yard. And tbh, spent a lot of childhood/teenage years riding bareback, hat less, & in a headcollar & lr. And if I thought for a second there would be a remote chance of coming off my mare then I wouldn't have rode her right to the day before giving birth. I do always wear one now, but I still have the odd moment when nobody is around who'll be influenced, when I hop on mine in the field for a quick blast. That said, wouldn't ride even mine on a road without, & wouldn't get on anything else without.
Piebaldsparkle & ibblebibble you're both doomed, no hats, bps, reflectives, saddles, matchy- matchy or sheepskin. I suggest a bomb shelter rather than just tin hats lol!

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
Totally irresposible riding a horse without a crash hat.
If those that choose not to wear a crash hat have an accident then they should be completely responsible for the full costs of their medical and aftercare bill.
A serious accident may also result in their relatives and friends having to provide long term care for them.

MileAMinute

Visit site
I think it's a very selfish thing to do.

I once went out on a friends mare, had a lovely hack out, went on the roads, popped a few jumps and did some fast work, all individually quite dangerous if something went wrong.
Got back and went to remove hat - wasn't on! Somehow I'd forgotten it. I was furious with myself! Now I make a mental note to put my hat on before even tacking up.

I rarely notice it's there, summer or winter. And I will always wear one. I even wear one to ride bareback to the field. Call me a fluffy bunny or whatever but I've seen the consequences of going without and they are just things you can't un-see.