People riding your horses without permission - URGENT!

DragonSlayer

Visit site
I have evidence (pictures) that the police now have and they are coming to see me tonight. I've also had head collars stolen and got one back so that's got the Muppet on theft at least...

Anyone had anything like this happen before?

...seems the law is a little grey in this area...

Thank you!

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Some dingbat who thought it OK to post the pics to his facebook and his profile pic! He took them down when rumbled but luckily someone took a screen shot.

I know you shouldn't talk too much about it but need info if anyone has experience from previous happenings.

Not happy.

Fides

Visit site
I've been there with walkers taking liberties :( never thefts though. I hope you get it sorted x

zaminda

Visit site
I'm not sure the police will do much about the riding if I'm honest. However, if they can get him for theft then they might. If he has been accessing your property illegally then you may be able to prosecute him for trespass, but I think that will be classed as a civil matter. The only other potential opportunity for going after the guy is criminal damage.

Mongoose11

Visit site
There is no crime here I'm afraid, other than the theft of a head collar. He'll simply be spoken to by the Police. What an absolute knobber to think that is ok though!

DragonSlayer

Visit site
...then is that's the case I'll be speaking to higher powers and going to the press.

Our laws stink, it's OK for him to take liberties with my horses, steal my stuff and just get a talking to?

...not on my watch. Will see what the police will have to say when they get here.

LittleBlackMule

Visit site
If someone 'borrowed' someone else's car and the owner reported them to the police, they would be charged with 'taking without owner's consent' even if they said they were going to bring it back.
Should be the same for a horse.

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Found this -

Since 12 October 1988 s.12 Theft Act 1968 as amended by s.37 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988 has read:-

S.12(1)A person shall be guilty of an offence if, without having the consent of the owner or other lawful authority, he takes any conveyance for his own or another's use or, knowing that any conveyance has been taken without such authority, drives it or allows himself to be carried in or on it.

DragonSlayer

Visit site
...then you get this....

What is a Conveyance?

A horse is not

In Neal v Gribble and others [1978] Crim L R 500the respondents found horses grazing. They tied lengths of rope to three of them, as bridles, and rode them away. They were charged with TWOC.. The justices dismissed the informations, being of the opinion that a horse was not a "conveyance", and attaching a rope to a horse as a bridle did not constitute "adapting" it for the carriage of a person.

Held, dismissing the appeal, that it was difficult to see how "conveyance" in its ordinary meaning could include horses. Attaching a halter or bridle to a horse did not "adapt" it: it simple made it easier to ride

bonny

Visit site
Was your horse taken away, as in stealing a car or did some one just ride him/sit on him in the field ? If the later then it can't be considered theft !

DragonSlayer

Visit site
....but what law protects us against this sort of thing? I don't go around and sit in people's gardens or houses, so why can these people get away with thinking it's OK to do this?

Let me put it this way, if nothing is done, I'm going to raise one holy hell of a noise about it.

lastchancer

www.facebook.com
A horse would have been classed as a conveyance and viewed as any other property before the days of motorized transport - so unless the law was specifically changed and states otherwise then surely that should still be the case? What an ignorant judge and what short memories we have as a nation - not that many years ago horses were the main source of transport.

RE the scrote messing with your horse - I expect he'll get away with a little telling off. I'd be tempted to wait till the dust settles then mess his car up - or his face. It's time people started fighting back against these idiots - the law wont do anything.

End of rant :D

bonny

Visit site
Your house is a different case, as I'm sure you realise and if you phoned the police and said someone was in my garden but they've gone I don't think the police would class it as even worth their while turning up ......what do you want them to do?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Perhaps give BHS legal line a call if you can?

Otherwise, find an elderly country solicitor who can drag up obscure (but current) laws/penalties (or a keen law student)

We had one idiot woman (some may remember this one) who was fined for 'riding furiously' and a great copper went to extreme lengths to find something to nail her on finally!

Good luck OP

bonny

Visit site
If someone took a car which they then only drove around the street in which the owner lived that would still be very much frowned upon by the police - I can't see why someone taking a horse for a "joy ride" is any less punishable!

That would be classed as stealing.....sitting on a horse isn't

angelish

Visit site
Perhaps give BHS legal line a call if you can?

Otherwise, find an elderly country solicitor who can drag up obscure (but current) laws/penalties (or a keen law student)

We had one idiot woman (some may remember this one) who was fined for 'riding furiously' and a great copper went to extreme lengths to find something to nail her on finally!

Good luck OP

this ^ hope you get a good copper
if nothing else they can get into a massive amount of trouble for the theft of the headcollar if nothing else
i once caught a group of youths steeling my travel boots , i drove after them and erm removed them out of scum bags hands
a friend also happened to have the brains to take a photo of said scum bags on her phone

the copper that came to see me was brilliant , he caught them and gave them a whole load of punishment
i even had the choice of what i'd like to happen to "scum" :D
good luck hope you get some justice

PolarSkye

Visit site
No constructive help to offer but tons of moral support . . . I'd be absolutely levitating if someone took it upon themselves to get on my horse without my knowledge. Hell, I'd be extremely annoyed if someone went in his field and mucked about with him without my knowledge or consent.

I hope the police have something helpful to say/do. Good luck.

P