People taking pictures.

Shantara

Visit site
When I rode through a near by uni-town, I often have students (especially foreign ones) taking pictures of me.
I love it!! It makes me smile that people are still happy to see horses around :)
However, if I was not with Ned and just walking along, I would feel completely embarrassed and offended.

The only problem I have is that I don't get to see the pictures after :p

Do you ever get photos taken of you and how do you react?

kerrieberry2

Visit site
I don't think people have every taken pics of me when I'm out hacking but funny you should post about photos

I've recently moved yards and we have foot path that goes right passed the field, and a house basically in the field, the lady told me earlier that kids were taking pics of my horses and asked if I minded and that she'd send them on their way if I didn't want them doing it! apparently she used to do that for the previous livery that was there!

I said that I didn't mind them taking pics and thought it was strange that someone might be offended by that?

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
When I was (much) younger my pony was kept in a seaside village and I think pictures of us in front of a thatch cottage appeared in many a holiday snap. I got told it was 'cute' by more than one American ;).

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Was forever getting people asking to take a picture of the Haffy I used to loan because "Oh my! He looks like a Barbie pony! Can I take a picture!?"

In his defence...the pink was my choice, not his ;)

Spiritedly

Visit site
When I go to shows I often practice my photography by taking pictures, if I recognise the rider I usually message them on fb if they're on there and ask them if they'd like the pics.If I get a good one of someones 'mishap' I'll ask around to see if anyone knows them so they can have the photo if they want it.

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
Kerrieberry, I suspect the previous person might have been suffering from paranoia concerning whether the photos then appear in a 'for sale' ad or similar.

charliehands

Visit site
Was galloping with my friend along the bridle way today and some people on the footpath up the hill were taking photos of us - would love to have a copy of the pics!

Irishdan

Visit site
We get this loads when riding on our local beach. Tend to just smile and wave at the camera :)

RhaLoulou

Visit site
Was forever getting people asking to take a picture of the Haffy I used to loan because "Oh my! He looks like a Barbie pony! Can I take a picture!?"

In his defence...the pink was my choice, not his ;)

Maybe it's the blonde mane and tail! my mare (chestnut flaxen mane and tail) was snapped just the other week by an Australian tourist! It has happened quite a few times mind she does have a hint of my little pony about her!! :)

skint1

Visit site
My farm horses are often the subject of people's photos because their field gate is on a lane that many people walk/cycle down. The mares stand at the gate gnawing on the fence posts in a picturesque fashion, I once had a guy take their photo and say they reminded him of colleagues at work gossiping round the coffee machine. It doesn't bother me as long as they don't go IN the field.

Slightly different, my daughter once found out that someone was using her photos of her pony and pretending it was theirs (on Bebo or MySpace or whatever), she was ready to go in guns blazing (she was about 12-13 at the time) and I stopped her from doing this publicly, I felt they were probably quite vulnerable

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Maybe it's the blonde mane and tail! my mare (chestnut flaxen mane and tail) was snapped just the other week by an Australian tourist! It has happened quite a few times mind she does have a hint of my little pony about her!! :)

Haha yeah, his blondeness in general and his baby face seemed to have some admirers x) Only when he tried to tread on feet and got antsy about standing did they quickly have to be on their way elsewhere :')

I know some kids got a couple of photos of him imitating a rodeo horse with me one summer - shame I won't ever get to see them, they'd have been hilarious!

ellie11987

Visit site
I'm fine with people taking pictures but it's a shame I never get to see them afterwards! Me and my friend went on a gallop a couple of months ago on a gorgeous day and never got to see the pictures someone was taking :(

orionstar

Visit site
I've had this with my horse S1, they had various pictures taken in the field calling the horses different names, and saying what each one was like to ride, all over Facebook. My response I'm afraid, was not polite! I did have my photo taken whilst on a hack on the Derwent Walk on Saturday, I should have stopped and asked for a copy, because It would have been a lovelly piccy!

RainbowDash

Visit site
Hi,

I keep my lad at the local country park. We're getting used to being stopped on the tracks by families with young children who ask if they can say 'hello' to him and want their photo taken with 'the pretty pony' :D.

I find it very flattering - my boy's a gentle soul and has already given confidence to my kids, non-horsey friends and young niece and it's lovely to stop and have a chat whilst Boyo is getting a big fuss :D

But also on a selfish front - it's good for him to associate buggy's and young children with fuss and mints rather than screams and scary footballs :D.

Shantara

Visit site
Aw, I'm really glad that you all seem ok with it :)

Another thing that prompted this post was someone I know of told one of the foreign students off for taking a picture of them. She is rather over dramatic though :p

I also love seeing people pointing out "The pretty horsey" to their kids :p
I often get kids waving from cars at me and when I rode to MK I felt like a celeb :D everyone stopping and pointing, taking photos!!

lhotse

Visit site
I was stopped out riding by a Nepali once. He wanted his UK friend to take a picture of him with me and the horse. Trouble was, she didn't like strangers near her, which I tried to explain but he enthusiastically strode towards her and she turned her backside to kick him!!! Once I had corrected that, she eventually stood still long enough for the picture to be taken.

Her dislike of people approaching her did come in handy when some weirdo tried to grab the reins on a country lane though, so she was only protecting the pair of us!

Lego

Visit site
I don't think anyone random has taken photos of me riding, and I don't think I would mind if it was just the type of 'ooh, look pretty horsey in the woods' type, but some bloke with a telephoto lens would creep me out... :rolleyes:

As RainbowDash said - I do however use families to my advantage :) For example the family walking ahead of me today that he kept seeing round the corners and spooking at... They stopped to let me past and said hello, so had a quick chat and they gave him a polo each :) only problem was he then didn't want to leave! Same with the schoolchild wearing a violin case :rolleyes:

On the other hand, can see how it might get out of hand... We once found an advert for a girl wanting a share horse, and ad pic was actually my friend! Pic was off the Uni riding club website...

Nickijem

Visit site
One of the hacks I go on goes through quite a touristy village so have had several pics taken as I ride through the village square. Once though I had only just left the yard when a car overtook me then stopped and the passenger got out and asked if she could take picture of me and my horse. I didn't know whether to be flattered or frightened!

Megibo

Visit site
Used to keep the horses in a village location and people(tourists) would stop and take pictures all the time. I didn't mind! At current place we still get children in cars waving or out walking who say 'look mummy, horsey!

I had this taken of me today whilst doing my first canter out in an open space with my horse (had her a year now) ...

luckily it was my mum who took it as I asked her to :D

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Quite a lot , we do a lot of hacking and there is always two or three of us out- and as we hack to public parks that allow horses there are always lots of families around. The horses are very well behaved so often we let the kids have a sit and a little walk which requires a lot of pictures from parents :p

I've been told I'm in a few school projects after having my picture taken out hacking by a school group too!

RainbowDash

Visit site
Aw, I'm really glad that you all seem ok with it :)

Another thing that prompted this post was someone I know of told one of the foreign students off for taking a picture of them. She is rather over dramatic though :p

I also love seeing people pointing out "The pretty horsey" to their kids :p
I often get kids waving from cars at me and when I rode to MK I felt like a celeb :D everyone stopping and pointing, taking photos!!

What a shame someone you know disliked it - yes having a photo taken can sometimes be annoying (mainly if you're out in your scuffs ;) ) - but at the end of the day we're all ambassadors for our sport!! - two minutes for a fuss, photo and chat out of a hour or two's hacks is nothing :D

Besides my pony lives part of the year on a field near the entrance to the park - he is often photographed, feed and fussed in the field - I don't mind that either :D.

kellybee

Visit site
My land backs onto Warwick uni and last autumn I was clipping the pony, in a world of my own. Switched the clippers off, looked up to find a group of about 10 students all leaning on the gate taking photos. I don't think I'd have minded if I wasn't suddenly feeling very self conscious!

Today we rode around the campus and someone stood taking pics from the pavement, like we were some kind of freakshow, lol. I don't mind, my horses are both photogenic :)

mandwhy

Visit site
Haha I get it quite a lot actually, again with the blonde pony! On a busy Saturday there are a lot of people around on the footpath and people often ask to take a picture of the horse when I am going out about to get on, I don't mind at all, my horse is beautiful and think its nice they appreciate her :)

I have had people taking pictures of me and the horses in the field though and that I do find a bit weird. The horses fine, me? I'd rather they didn't! I'm too far away for them to ask or anything but I am pretty sure I would be in shot as sometimes I'm not standing that near the horses! Maybe I'm being paranoid and its actually the hedges behind me!

I guess Cambridge has a lot of tourists and we are a fairly accessible spot of countryside, ah well, hopefully we'll get in a book about the countryside or something one day :)

gonebananas

Visit site
Surprised no one has mentioned this but I personally would be a bit suspicious of someone I didn't know taking photos of my horses. Especially whilst in the field. I'd feel like they were casing me out or looking at horses to steal.... :confused:

Shantara

Visit site
Surprised no one has mentioned this but I personally would be a bit suspicious of someone I didn't know taking photos of my horses. Especially whilst in the field. I'd feel like they were casing me out or looking at horses to steal.... :confused:

We're quite out of the way and it's hard to stop on the road, so I would be very cautious if someone had stopped to take pictures. Thankfully I've not seen that!

asbo

Visit site
Used to get this mostly when my lad was being a **** and rearing up/spinning around/jogging, all because he saw some geese, which he HATES. Would have loved copies though as have hardly any of me riding him before he was retired.

mandwhy

Visit site
I know what you mean gonebananas! I think a lot of my neighbours would feel the same but I guess I judge it on the type of people and how they go about it, if there are kids I don't mind at all, we had some tourists and a little girl with one of those vtech camera things, I thought that was cute! It is mostly middle aged couples with big SLR cameras, I think they just want to photograph something interesting on their travels to nature spots here which is the sort of thing I would do! I wouldn't really do it to people but I have been known to take multiple pictures of cows :-D

I have had teenage boys in sportswear doing it and taken a much more suspicious attitude, bless them they were probably off to play some sports!

blackislegirl

Visit site
A couple of years ago I met a young man from China who was out for a walk in the village with a teenage girl from his 'host' family - he was a student on some sort of exchange visit. It turned out he'd never actually seen a live horse before, in the flesh, as it were, and politely asked if the girl could take a photo of him standing at my pony's head, as something to show the folks back home. So my boy might be famous in some Chinese city by now!